(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Ji Xinhai, from Huailai County, Hebei Province, was arrested during the 2008 Beijing Olympics and later sentenced to four years in prison, first being held in the Huailai County Detention Center and then in the Jidong Prison in Tangshan City. Gross abuse and mistreatment left him paralyzed and bed-ridden and unable to care for himself. He developed numerous egg-sized bone spurs, which caused him a great deal of suffering. Jidong Prison officials released him on medical parole in early August 2010. Following is this case's background information:

Mr. Ji, 36, lives in Liangzhuang Village, Xibali Town. He and several friends went to Beixinpu on July 10, 2008, to help practitioner Mr. Xu Jun's family in their farming fields. Officers from Beixinpu Police Station arrested them on the evening of July 11, 2010, and took them to the Xibali Town Police Station, where they were handcuffed to a heating pipe and tortured for the entire evening.

Liangzhuang Village head Du Junming led more than a dozen police officers on July 12 to break into Mr. Ji's home and ransack it. They seized Falun Gong books, a computer, a printer and other items.

Xibali Town Police Station officers, along with Liangzhuang Village officials Du Chunming, Zhao Weibing, Li Xiangping, Jia Yanjie, and others, broke into Mr. Ji's home again the following day. They ransacked it and confiscated more items, including Falun Gong books, a computer, three printers, a CD-burner, a paper-cutting machine, two satellite TV receivers, and three satellite dishes. The total loss amounted to more than 10,000 yuan.

The police tried to force Mr. Ji's wife Ms. Pang Aixiu to step on a photo with Master Li's image, but Ms. Pang refused.

The police broke into Mr. Ji's home for the third time around 10:00 p.m. that same day and took Ms. Pang away. They held her in custody for six months and released her on January 6, 2009. During that time her nine-year-old daughter was left alone with no one taking care of her.

While Mr. Ji was held in the Huailai Detention Center for seven months and twenty days, he was subjected to severe abuse and mistreatment. He was forced to sleep on the ground every night after inmates were ordered to pour water on it. Mr. Ji began feeling leg pains and was unable to walk. He requested that detention center officials release him for medical treatment, but the requests were ignored. Not until February 2009 did the center officials send Mr. Ji to the Huailai County Hospital for treatment. A doctor's diagnosis confirmed that Mr. Ji was indeed in poor health.

The Huailai County court handed Mr. Ji a four-year prison term. Prior to the verdict, judicial system officials and a lawyer, in the name of offering him legal aid, once coerced Mr. Ji to give up his belief.

The police transferred Mr. Ji to the Zhangjiakou City Detention Center on March 1, 2009, to be held for ten days. The police officers who carried him into the cell told inmates, "Take good care of him!" Several inmates subsequently took turns punching and kicking him, pouring cold water on him, and depriving him of sleep. They also forced Mr. Ji to complete their labor quotas. Zhangjiakou Detention Center criminals work at least ten hours per day and will be punished if they fail to complete their quotas.

Ten days later, on March 11, 2009, Mr. Ji and six other practitioners were sent to the Jidong Prison in Tangshan. Mr. Ji was immediately sent to the No. 4 Team Central Hospital's surgical ward because of his poor physical condition. A criminal monitored him. Mr. Ji developed numerous egg-sized bone spurs all over his body during the following year. As stated above, he was in great pain, bed-ridden and unable to take care of himself.

Thanks to his family's demands and rescue efforts, Mr. Ji returned home in early August 2010. Huailai County Judicial Bureau officials forced his family to pay 2,000 yuan, justifying the extortion as "having taken him home from the prison." Mr. Ji's family's inability to pay the amount led judicial bureau officials to eventually reduce the amount to 1,000 yuan.

Mr. Ji has still not recovered. His wife takes care of him while doing household chores, raising their daughter, and earning money with a part time job. In addition, she has to be alert to prevent harassment from Chinese Communist agents.