Name: Xu Yunyan (豏运炎)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Address: Yongxing County, Chenzhou City, Hunan Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: April 2003
Most Recent Place of Detention: Wangling Prison in You County, Zhuzhou City, Hunan Province (湖南省株洲攸县网岭监狱)
City: Chenzhou
Province: Hunan
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, extortion, physical restraint, home ransacked, detention

( Mr. Xu Yunyan has been suffering from persecution for ten years just because he keeps his faith in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and tries to be a better person.

Knee bone fractured

In 2000, Mr. Xu was arrested on his way to work. Officer Cao Henggang from Yongxing County Police Department arrested him, taking him to Yongxing County Detention Center, where he was detained for six months. Though the detention center food was inedible, administrators extorted more than 2,000 yuan from his wife as recompense for it. In addition, police robbed his family of inherited silver coins during the ransacking of their home.

Thereafter, Officer Cao Henggang would often go to Mr. Xu's home, taking books and materials away on a whim. In December 2001, Mr. Xu was detained for seven days.

In April 2003, police arrested him at his workplace. Officer Cao Henggang and a group of officers handcuffed him, interrogating him at Anren County Police Department. Despite various intimidation tactics, Mr. Xu did not confess to any crimes. One night after several days, officers took him to a faraway police station in the mountains. Officer Chen Yunqing from Chenzhou City Police Department shackled Mr. Xu, who was already handcuffed, threatening him, "We are not afraid if you still refuse to talk, since we brought you here." Mr. Xu still refused to offer any admissions. Then two officers grabbed his shoulders and hands, attempting to force him to kneel. After Mr. Xu did not relent, officers kicked his knees viciously, causing a bone fracture. Mr. Xu was in extreme pain, with his body soaked in sweat, shivering. Police did not have him treated, but left him handcuffed overnight to a motorcycle instead.

The next day, two officers carried him to a vehicle bound for Anren County Detention Center. The detention center requires new inmates to clean the chamber pot in each cell. Though unable to walk, or even stand up, Mr. Xu was put to such lengths sliding along the floor. His chest was also very painful, to the point that he could not eat. He became so thin that the center director was afraid he may die there.

Four teeth knocked out

After nine months of detention, Mr. Xu was sentenced to seven years in prison. Mr. Xu was first locked in Jin City Prison, then transferred to Wangling Prison. Guard Yan Fan often instructed prisoners to beat Mr. Xu, especially when he refused to write a Thought Report, or when his heartfelt expressions the guards did not care for.

Once, guards read out loud materials slandering Falun Dafa. Mr. Xu told them to stop, exclaiming "Falun Dafa is great!" Three prisoners ran over, kicking and hitting him. They also pressed him down to the floor, stomping on him. Mr. Xu's eyes were covered with bruises, leaving guards with some conscience left asking, "How can they beat you to such a degree?"

Guards tried to force Mr. Xu to write the three statements, to which he absolutely refused. The three prisoners assigned to him took turns punching him, knocking four of his teeth out. A fifth tooth remains loose to this day.

Guards would not allow him to do the Falun Gong exercises, or speak. Prisoners were assigned to watch him 24 hours a day, and forced him to do 13-14 hours of labor per day. Mr. Xu was released on April 20, 2010, after the seven-year term ended.