Name: Tang Changyuan(汤昌元)
Gender: Male
Age: 70
Address: Fourth Team, Dabei Village, Majin Town, Shifang County, Deyang City, Sichuan Province
Occupation: Unknown

Date of Most Recent Arrest: November 14, 2005
Most Recent Place of Detention: Deyang Prison (德阳监狱)
City: Deyang
Province: Sichuan
Persecution Suffered: Detention, brainwashing, home ransacked, beatings

( Mr. Tang Chuangyuan was persecuted extensively for practicing Falun Gong. On November 14, 2005, Mr. Tang was arrested and sentenced to three years of imprisonment.

On December 29, 2000, Mr. Tang went to Beijing to clarify the truth about Falun Gong. On December 31, police officers arrested him at Tiananmen Square and detained him nearby.

On January 1, 2001, Mr. Tang was taken to Shunyixin Prison, where he was detained for eight days. On January 9, officers from the Domestic Security Division of Shifang County came to the prison and took him back to Shifang. On January 11, they arrived in Shifang County, and Mr. Tang was detained for one day at the Majin Police Station in Shifang County. On January 12, policeman Lai Xianfa of Majin Police Station sent Mr. Tang to the Shifang Detention Center. After 15 days of detention, Tang Chuangyuan was transferred to a brainwashing center inside Dabei Village School in Majin.

At the end of September 2001, officials from the National Security Division of Shifang and Majin Police Station ransacked Mr. Tang's home, and they confiscated Teacher's portrait, an exercise music tape, recorder and other items. Then, they took Mr. Tang to the Shifang Detention Center and held him there for 15 days.

On the morning of February 17, 2003, five to six policemen from the Domestic Security Division of Shifang and Majin Police Station arrested Mr. Tang in his home, and then took him to the Hexing Brainwashing Center of Guanghan (a brainwashing center organized in Deyang City, now named Law Education School).

In the brainwashing center, Chinese Communist Party (CCP) personnel tortured Mr. Tang and caused a right shoulder joint dislocation. Mr. Tang did not receive any medical treatment for the injury. One night, Mr. Tang was so severely beaten that his entire body was covered with injuries, rendering him unable to sit up or sleep. The perpetrators beat him until they were too tired to continue. As a result, Mr. Tang lost his vision, and his whole body was in pain. His hand still had not healed 70 days after his release.

On November 14, 2005, Mr. Tang was distributing the Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party and truth-clarification CDs when Liu Yulian reported him to the police. Mr. Tang was arrested by officials from the Domestic Security Division of Shifang, Wu Changquan (head of Majin Police Station) and others. During the arrest, Mr. Tang's right hand was pulled so forcefully that it was dislocated, and he received a deep cut on his hand. Mr. Tang was jailed in the Shifang Detention Center, and his home was subsequently ransacked.

The Shifang Court collaborated with the Shifang Procuratorate and Domestic Security Division of Shifang, sentencing Mr. Tang to three years of imprisonment, even though he had been held in the Shifang Detention Center for over eight months already. On July 25, 2006, Mr. Tang was taken to Deyang Prison (also called the Number 95 Factory) in Huangxu Town, Deyang City. When Mr. Tang first arrived, he was forced to write a weekly "thought report," which was eventually changed to monthly reports. When practitioners refused to write the three statements to give up Falun Gong, they were deprived of visitation rights or phone calls to family, and were prevented from receiving any money sent by their families. The guards attempted to brainwash the practitioners by forcing them to watch videos, books and publications that slandered Falun Gong and its founder.

Mr. Tang was finally released after completing his last prison term in November 2008.