Gross Abuse and Mistreatment Suffered by Falun Gong Practitioners in Suining City, Sichuan Province in 2009
(Clearwisdom.net) At least 45 Falun Gong practitioners in Suining City, Sichuan Province were confirmed to have been illegally arrested and detained in 2009. Their homes were ransacked, and four of them died while in police custody. Three were sentenced to prison, and two were sent to labor camps. The actual number of victims is estimated to be much higher.
Four Practitioners Died as a Direct Result of Persecution
The following practitioners died as a result of persecution: 39-year-old Mr. Quan Xueyin, 52-year-old Ms. Yan Xuebi, 44-year-old Mr. Zheng Fangjun, and 63-year-old Ms. Zhang Yuhua.
Mr. Quan Xueyin from Pengxi County, Suining City developed lung necrosis due to brutal torture and died on March 8, 2009.
Ms. Yan Xuebi's family took her home from the labor camp on May 19, 2008. She was extremely weak, and Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officials constantly harassed her following her release. Ms. Yan died the morning of March 9, 2009.
Mr. Zheng Fangjun from Suining City was twice held at a labor camp. Following his 2005 release, CCP officials continued to harass him. He went into exile to avoid further arrest. Due to abuse suffered while in custody, Mr. Zheng could not eat and had breathing problems. He died on the morning of July 21, 2009.
Ms. Zhang Yuhua from Suining City was detained four times. The guards savagely beat her in 2003, blinding her left eye. She died on August 13, 2009.
Accounts of Persecution
Below are incidents of arrest, home ransacking and severe abuse and mistreatment at labor camps and prisons.
1. Mr. Chai Yun from Renli Town, Chuanshan District was arrested the morning of January 13, 2009 and detained at the Xinqu Police Station in Hedong. The officials ransacked his home at 1:00 p.m. and took him to the Yongxing Detention Center at 5:00 p.m. that same day.
2. Xining Township police officers arrested Ms. Tang Guiying and her husband Su Datian on the morning of January 12, 2009. They savagely beat the couple until Su Datian bled from his nose and mouth. Su Datian's mother, in her 80s, is home alone while the couple is held at the Yongxing Detention Center.
3. Accountant Wang Haiquan, Women's Association head Xia Zefu and government clerk Zhou Changchun from the No. 4 Village, Longping Township, Suining City led officers from the Nanqiang Town Police Station to ransack the homes of Ms. Liao Daying and Ms. Wang Suqing in the afternoon of February 16, 2009.
4. Ms. Yang Zefang is 60 years old. Officers from the Beimen Police Station and from the Chuanshan Police Department arrested her and practitioner Wang Honglian. This took place as they spoke with people about Falun Gong in Suining City on February 25, 2009. They are currently being held at the Yongxing Detention Center.
5. Officers from the Lanjiang Town Police Station arrested Ms. Yuan Shulin, a retiree from Lanjiang Town Grain Station in Suining City, along with two other women practitioners, on March 12, 2009.
6. A group of officials ransacked Mr. Du Changpei's home in Mingjuesi Village in the afternoon of March 12. They took two portraits of Master Li and a bookmark with the words "Falun Dafa" on it. They arrested Du Changpei and forced him to pay 2,500 yuan. They forced him to write and sign a guarantee statement to give up Falun Gong before letting him go.
7. The police arrested Ms. Chen Jiaxiu on March 15, 2009 as she explained the facts about Falun Gong to people. They subsequently ransacked her home and took away Falun Gong books and materials. They also took Chen Jiaxiu and another practitioner to the Suining City Detention Center. The Anju Court has sentenced her to three years in prison. Her case was submitted to the Suining City Intermediate Court for approval for a labor camp sentence. Meanwhile, her pension has been suspended.
8. Three practitioners were arrested on Buxing Street, Suining City on March 19, 2009. Ms. Li Ning is in her 60s and a retiree from the Suining Power Company. Ms. Li Xiuhua is in her 60s and a retired teacher from Suining Middle School. Ms. Duan Hengrong is in her 60s and lived on Yucai Road, Chuanshan District, Suining City. Their homes were ransacked.
9. Ms. Zhang Bihua is 57 years old. The police arrested her from home and ransacked the residence at 11:00 pm on March 21, 2009. She is being held at the Yongxing Detention Center. Anju Police Station officers demanded 40,000 yuan from Ms. Zhang's son for her release.
10. Mr. Luo Youfu from Jinqiao Township is in his 60s. The authorities arrested him on the afternoon of March 24, 2009
11. Ms. Song Anying, 70, lived in Yinxin Village, Qunli Town, Suining City. Official Tang, Lin Junyu and Zhonghechang, the Pengnan Town security chief, arrested Song Anying and took her to the Pengxi County Detention Center and held her there for ten days. She returned home after the family was forced to pay the officials 2,000 yuan.
12. Ms. Xu Zhengbi from Suining City is in her 70s. The police arrested her from home on Xinmin Street at noon on April 23, 2009.
13. Police arrested Ms. Liu Yuqing and Mr. Yuan Dacai from Baoshi Town, Lanjiang on March 15, 2009. They took more than 100 copies of Falun Gong books and more than 400 yuan worth of paper currency carrying the words "The Heavens eliminate the Communist Party; withdraw to be safe." They savagely beat Liu Yuqing until he was severely injured.
14. Officials from the Anju District 610 Office and from the Fenshui Town Police Station arrested Mr. Zhang Mingcheng from home in Fenshui Town, the Anju District on April 24, 2009. They detained him at the Beigu Township Brainwashing Center.
15. The police arrested 58-year-old Ms. Li Yurong on her way home on May 11, 2009. They ransacked her home and took away her Falun Gong books and other possessions.
16. The police arrested Yang Xinyu on the afternoon of May 13, 2009 as she put up posters with the words "Falun Gong" along Heping Road.
17. Officers from the Yufeng Police Station, including Wei Guohua, arrested Ms. Gong Zhijun and Jiang Zhaoxiang on May 25, 2009. It happened as they talked to people about Falun Gong at a Yufeng market. The police ransacked Jiang Zhaoxiang's home and forced her to pay 1,000 yuan before releasing her in the afternoon. Gong Zhijun was taken to a detention center. The police also ransacked her home and took away a copy of the book Zhuan Falun. They held her in a detention center for one month. Police chief Wei Guohua also extorted 1,000 yuan from Gong Zhijun's son on the day of her release.
18. Ms. Qin Zhengfang, 51, and her husband Mr. Li Yongcheng lived on Heping Road in Suining City. Qin Zhengfang was arrested in front of her apartment building the morning of May 31, 2009. The officials also ransacked her home and took away computers, printers, Falun Gong books and 500 yuan in cash.
19. Ms. Zhao Yan, 58 year old, is a retiree from the Chuanshan District Hospital. She was arrested in the morning of June 1, 2009.
20. Three police officers tricked Mr. Duan Shoumu's wife from Renli Town, Suining City into opening the door to her home on the morning of June 10, 2009. They barged in and dragged Duan Shoumu into a waiting police vehicle. Twenty more officers arrived after the first three made a phone call. They ransacked the home and took away Falun Gong books and materials.
21. The police arrested Mr. Jiang from his home in Suining City's development zone on June 16, 2009. They also ransacked his home and took away computer and printing equipment.
22. Pengxi County National Security Division head Ou Yajie arrested 57-year-old Ms. Li Yajun from her small shop on the morning of September 4, 2009 in Pengnan Town, Pengxi County. He ransacked her home and sent Ms. Li to the Nanmusi Labor Camp, to be held for one year.
23. Officers from the Jiefuqiao Police Station arrested Ms. Zhang Zhengbi (60 years old) on October 18, 2009 and held her at the Yongxin Shelter in Suining City for 29 days.
24. Several Gaoping Town officials and officers from the town's police department arrested local resident Ms. Liang Yuhua, in her 50s, on November 10, 2009 as she was planting a field. They also took away Falun Gong books and materials and held her at the Pengxi Detention Center.
25. Zhongxing Police Station officials arrested Ms. Yu Suying from Suining City and ransacked her home. She escaped and left home to avoid further persecution.
26. Ms. Yang Chunxiu and her father from Longping Township have been held in the Suining City Detention Center for more than six months. Yang Chunxiu has returned home, but her father was sentenced to four years in prison.
27. Ms. Hu Yanshun from Daying County is in her late 60s. She was arrested while running errands and received a sentence. She was taken to the Suining Detention Center, where guards forced her to work late into the night and forbade her to speak with others.
28. Ms. Wang Honglian, 45 years old, was held in a detention center for one month and later sentenced to one year in a labor camp. She was tortured with a specially-made chair, where one's hands and feet are chained together and one is tied in a rigid posture in the chair for several days. She was later forced to thread tiny beads. Unable to see the tiny hole in the beads and unable to thread them, Ms. Wang was beaten by the guards.
The guards forbade the practitioners from doing the Falun Gong exercises and watched the practitioners around the clock, even when they were using the restroom.
29. Daying Court officials tried Ms. Chen Yuzhen and two other practitioners from Daying County on the morning of April 15, 2009. The judge did not let the practitioners speak and declared that he would issue them sentences exceeding seven years. The practitioners have been held in police custody for over a year thus far.