Name: Feng Xiaomei (冯晓梅)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 2009
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Hebei Province Women's Forced Labor Camp (河北省女子劳教所)
City: Shijiazhuang
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, brainwashing, sleep deprivation, torture, beatings, denial of restroom use, forced labor

( Ms. Feng Xiaomei was arrested in May 2009 and detained at Hebei Province Women's Forced Labor Camp. After her arrival, labor camp officials followed the orders from the Hebei Province 610 Office to "transform" her. Qiao Xiaoxia from the Hebei Province Prison Administration Bureau was sent to the labor camp to "transform" her. The first so-called "transformation" session lasted more than 30 days, during which time Ms. Feng was brutally tortured.

Ms. Feng refused to defame the founder of Falun Gong or write any statements slandering Falun Gong. Every night Ms. Feng was tortured by several inmates (Zhu Liying, Liu Juan, Qi Xiaolu, Li Lijuan and others) who were instigated by guards Liu Ziwei, Wang Weiwei, Shi Jiangxia, Gu Hongye and others. Night after night they deprived her of sleep and forced her to stand. They also used other vicious methods to torture her. Several people, including Zhu Liying, Liu Juan, Qi Xiaolu and Li Lijuan, forcibly restrained Ms. Feng's legs in a double-leg crossing position. They subjected her to this torture for several hours and she was in extreme pain. After a while, inmates started to stomp on both her legs. The severe pain made Ms. Feng scream out loud and her screams could be heard outside in the hallways. However, the guards on duty pretended not to hear Ms. Feng being tortured. Guard Gu Hongyi even thought it was too loud and she told an inmate to close the door to the cell where Ms. Feng was kept.

As a result of this torture, both of Ms. Feng's legs were severely swollen, and she was unable to walk. Guard Liu Ziwei not only deprived her of any rest, sleep, and use of the toilet, but also forced her to stand night after night. Ms. Feng had to withhold her urine and bowel movements. A few days later, blood began to appear in Ms. Feng's feces. The guards did not allow her to see the doctor, nor was she allowed to meet her family or have a shower.

After the brutal abuse, Ms. Feng's physical condition began to deteriorate. Because of being forced to withhold urine or to have a bowel movement for long periods of time, there was blood in her feces. Preliminary examination showed it was symptoms of colon cancer. The labor camp officials did not allow her to see a doctor, nor did they notify Ms. Feng's family.

Ms. Feng did not acknowledge the "transformation" attempts nor make any statements defaming Falun Gong. Guard Liu Ziwei yelled at her, "I will torture you so that you will feel worse than death." After that, Ms. Feng was deprived of family visits, showers, and access to the toilet. Despite her poor physical condition, guards forced her to do labor with other inmates. By then, she was very weak and there had been blood in her feces for several months. But the guards still forced her to make more than 500 file folders every day, a workload that even a healthy person could hardly finish. If she did not finish, the entire group was deprived of rest and forced to stand. Every day after work, Ms. Feng was exhausted and could barely walk.

To keep other practitioners from knowing about the gravity of her situation, the guards told the inmates in other rooms to shut their doors whenever Ms. Feng used the bathroom.