Name: Zhang Tichao (张体超)
Gender: Male
Age: 68
Address: Tai'an Village, Liutuan Township, Yanshou County, Heilongjiang Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Death: January 22, 2010
Date of Most Recent Arrest: March 30, 2007
Most Recent Place of Detention: Daqing City Prison (大庆监狱)
City: Daqing
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, torture, extortion, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( (By a correspondent from Heilongjiang Province) Mr. Zhang Tichao was arrested and detained repeatedly. After the 2001 harvest, Tai'an Village Communist Party (CCP) Committee Secretary Wang Yunlong and Village Chair Zhao Fagang tried to force Mr. Zhang to give up his faith in Falun Dafa. Mr. Zhang absolutely refused, so Wang and Zhao took Mr. Zhang's family's year-long supply of grain: 30 sacks. They made Mr. Zhang kneel on the ground and slapped him.

In 2002, Mr. Zhang was arrested in his field and taken to the Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp for a three-year term. He was 60 years old. His wife was born mentally retarded and could not take care of the family or their children. Their daughter was 13, their older son 11, and the younger son only 7. They lived on moldy rice and help from their neighbors. The CCP not only took their food, but also took their fields while Mr. Zhang was serving forced labor.

In Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp, Mr. Zhang endured all kinds of torture. The guards instructed the prisoners to stab Mr. Zhang's head, neck, back, chest with a three-inch long steel needle (1). They stabbed him with so much force that sometimes the needle could not be pulled out. The guards also taught the prisoners to tie yarn to metal nuts and hit Mr. Zhang in the head with them (2).

At 11 a.m. on August 29, 2006, a plainclothes officer arrested Mr. Zhang from his home, claiming that people had reported him for spreading truth clarifying materials. They took him to the Yanshou County Detention Center.

On March 31, 2007, as soon as Mr. Zhang came back home from Hulin County, he was arrested and sentenced to imprisonment in the Daqing City Prison. After May 2009, Mr. Zhang was tortured until he could not move or take care of himself. While he was unconscious, he was taken back to the Liutuan Township Police Station. The police there then notified his children to take him to their home in Hulin County. He died on the evening of January 22, 2010.


(1) Stabbed with needles - The police order criminal inmates to insert large steel needles (as long as 10 cm/3 inches) that are used for weaving into the practitioners' head, neck, back, chest, and other sensitive parts of the body. Some needles are pushed in so deep that the inmates have a hard time pulling them out. The pain it causes is beyond words. Practitioners who have been tortured this way include Sun Kaiqing, Yun Fuqi, Zhang Xiangfu, Yu Guanghe, Zhang Tichao, and others.

(2) Metal nut hitting the head - The police instigate the criminals to tie a string to a metal nut and swing it at the practitioner's head. The pain is intense, and the victim's head feels swollen and dizzy. Practitioners Sun Kaiqing and Yun Fuqi were tortured like this. They were hit dozens of times every day, and their skulls were fractured. Their skulls were cracked in over 20 places, causing a severe concussion. Today, even though two years have passed, these victims' heads still ache, and they are sometimes dizzy and experience a lack of mental clarity. Zhang Xiangfu, Yu Guanghe, and Zhang Tichao are victims of this torture method.

Related report: