Family Members of Falun Gong Practitioners in Heilongjiang Province File Complaint with UN Human Rights Commission Against Chinese Communist Party
- (Clearwisdom.net) We, the undersigned, are family members and relatives of at least fifty-six Falun Gong practitioners who are currently, or were in the past, illegally detained in Daqing Prison, Heilongjiang Province.
- Whereas people's natural rights to freedom of belief, thoughts and speech are sacred and inviolable;
- Whereas the independence of the existing public security system, court system and the Procuratorate system of the People's Republic of China has been hijacked by the extra-legal 610 Office established by Jiang Zemin and his regime, leading to a loss of courage by the judicial system to uphold the law, morality and people's rights;
- Whereas for more than ten years, Daqing Prison has adopted starvation and other means of torture to persecute Falun Gong practitioners who believe in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance;
- Whereas family members of these practitioners have appealed to various levels of the Chinese government without any success, and our loved ones detained in Daqing Prison are in extreme danger because their health and safety are not protected;
- The undersigned family members agree that:
- Whereas people's natural rights to freedom of belief, thoughts and speech are sacred and inviolable;
- On behalf of our loved ones who have been illegally sentenced and detained by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) regime for their beliefs in the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, we want to expose the CCP's atrocities against a group of people who strive to be mentally and physically healthy;
- It is beyond our comprehension that our loved ones are continuously being mentally and physically persecuted by the CCP and that their families are implicated and become "guilty by association." We consider it to be a violation of humanity and of all moral principles;
- Due to the lack of available channels inside China that would support a fair appeal, we feel compelled to mail our letter of complaint abroad to expose at least some aspects of the brutal persecution within Daqing Prison against detained Falun Gong practitioners. We appeal to all international human rights organizations to send independent investigators into China as quickly as possible, rescue our innocent family members, help stop this long persecution, and uphold peace, justice and conscience for humankind.
I. Case Reports
1. Mr. Li Min (51), was a government employee at the Hulan District Financial Bureau in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. On March 10, 2005, Lu Wenxue, deputy chief of the Domestic Security Division of the Hulan District Public Security Department and several police officers arrested Mr. Li while he was at work. He was later sent to the Seventh Division of Daqing Prison. Because Mr. Li refused to cooperate with the persecutors and often told the police that Falun Dafa is good, he was frequently subjected to beating by prison guards, which caused severe internal injuries. He became extremely weak, showing stroke symptoms and was bedridden for a long time. The prison refused to release him. Instead, they starved Mr. Li under the pretense that he "needed to be punished for violating prison rules by refusing to wear a prison uniform." [Ed. Note: Because Falun Gong practitioners have broken no laws, are not criminals, and should not be imprisoned, detained practitioners sometimes protest their illegal detention by refusing to answer role call, wear the prison uniform or name badge, or perform forced labor.]
In February 2009, when Mr. Li's son visited him, Mr. Li had become so weak that he could no longer walk on his own. He was carried to the visiting room and had difficulty speaking and breathing. In April 2009, his family discovered that Mr. Li could no longer recognize them and demanded that he be released on medical parole. This was rejected by the prison authorities. The warden of the Seventh Division said to Mr. Li coldly, "We will let you go home when you have no hope to survive. You should not live for more than seven or eight days after we decide to release you. There is no other way we will let you go."
In mid May 2009, Mr. Li was transferred to Daqing Hospital, still wearing heavy shackles even though he had no energy to move on his own. He died at approximately 8:00 p.m. on May 23, 2009.
2. Mr. Zhu Hongbin was an employee of the No. 7 Oil Production Plant of the Daqing Petroleum Administration. He was illegally sentenced to a seven-year prison term. While detained at Daqing Prison, Mr. Zhu refused to agree to stop practicing Falun Gong, refused to wear a prison uniform and was therefore subjected to frequent torture.
In September 2002, his lungs were inflamed due to beatings by the prison guards. He was taken to the hospital, where he had a tube inserted to remove the pus. He was in a coma for 24 days.
On May 12, 2005, Mr. Zhu and other practitioners were stripped of their clothes and forced to wear prison uniforms. They were tied up for a whole day. The police would not let Mr. Zhu eat, sleep or use the toilet, and later treated him as if he had gone on a hunger strike [to have a reason to torture him further with punitive forced-feeding]. They inserted a tube into his stomach and force-fed him. On one particular occasion, the prison guard forced a bowl of diluted "milk powder" into Mr. Zhu's lungs, causing the entire lobe to become infected, which led to heart failure later.
The prison guard would often entice other inmates to beat Mr. Zhu. When higher officials came for an inspection, Mr. Zhu refused to wear a prison uniform, and other inmates grabbed him by the hair and slammed his head against the wall or into the ground until he passed out. The prison guards also tied Mr. Zhu to the wall with his arms and legs widely spread. When he was released from this position three days later, his arms were so swollen that they were thicker than his legs, and he could not walk normally for several days.
In March 2007, Yang Youlong, prison guard in the Fifth Division, prompted the inmates to beat Mr. Zhu until his body was covered with wounds.
On the afternoon of February 29, 2008, when Yang saw Mr. Zhu doing the Falun Gong exercises on his bed, he ordered the inmates to throw Mr. Zhu onto the ground, causing a nosebleed, pain in his chest, and difficulty walking.
When his term was finished in December 2008, prison officials refused to release him. In protest, Mr. Zhu went on a protest hunger strike until he was on the verge of death. After his family took him home, they discovered that both his lungs had atrophied to the size of an egg. After six months of painful struggle, Mr. Zhu died on June 18, 2009.
3. Mr. Li Hongkui (59) was an engineer at the Post and Telecommunications Administration Bureau in Harbin City. During his employment, Mr. Li was the recipient of numerous awards from the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications and its provincial and city branches.
In September 2005, Mr. Li was illegally sentenced to a seven-year prison term and was held in the Fourth Division of Daqing Prison where he suffered several brutal beatings for refusing to wear a prison uniform.
In the five days following February 27, 2009, Mr. Li was beaten nine times by a prison guard with a police baton. His body was covered with wounds from the beatings, and he was not able to get out of bed.
In July 2009, Li Hongkui was again beaten twice by the prison guard with a police baton. When his family learned of the beatings, they went to the relevant government bodies to appeal. However, the officials at the Daqing Bureau of Justice tried to cover for the prison guards, claiming that they had not beaten Mr. Li. Cheng Junchang, warden of the Fourth Division, said, "If we beat him to death, he deserves it! He's just lucky that we haven't done it yet! It would be bad for us if we actually beat him to death because we'd have to pay his family ten to twenty thousand yuan and make them rich!"
Mr. Li Hongkui's relatives have appealed to the the relevant government bodies many times, but the prison has maintained that as long as Mr. Li refuses to wear a prison uniform, no visits will be permitted. Although there is no real hope for justice, his relatives will continue to fight for him.
4. Mr. Sun Dianbin (40), used to work at the No. 2 Shaft of the Muleng Mine in Jixi City but had been laid off. During his incarceration in Daqing Prison, he has suffered various kinds of torture, including beating and verbal insults from the prison guards, other forms of corporal punishment, being put in handcuffs and shackles, getting shackled to the ground, and being locked up in a small cell. When his mother visited him on March 21, 2009, she saw that her son's hands were trembling and asked what had happened to cause this. Mr. Sun told his mother that he was being starved at the prison for refusing to wear a prison uniform.
- 5. Mr. Zhai Zhibin (34), used to work at the Housing Construction and Development Company administered by the Daqing Petroleum Administration Bureau. In April 2003, Mr. Zhai was illegally sentenced to a ten-year prison term. Starting on his second day at the Fourth Division of Daqing Prison, he was deprived of sleep for two consecutive weeks because he refused to agree to stop practicing Falun Gong. During the day, he was forced to sit on the steel bar at the edge of the bed and maintain the same posture, and during the night he was forced to stand. Inmates were assigned to watch him and to beat, kick, curse and threaten him if he did not comply with the orders. Mr. Zhai went on a hunger strike to protest and was brutally force-fed as a result. The prison guards pinched his nose so he could no longer breathe, used chopsticks to pry open his mouth and poured in diluted "milk powder" saturated with salt. Mr. Zhai almost suffocated in the process.
- At the beginning of 2004, because Mr. Zhai refused to sign his name on a form, warden Cheng Junchang told Su Chengtao and other inmates to torture Mr. Zhai with a wooden board, a wooden baton, needles, fists and kicks. As a result, Mr. Zhai was not able to get out of bed for more than one week.
- In mid 2005, Chu Zhongxin and Li Jinhao, an instructor of Section 7, tried to get other inmates to force Mr. Zhai to wear a prison uniform. Mr. Zhai went on a hunger strike to protest. Five days later he was transferred to the hospital where he was force-fed with gruel made of raw corn flour and cold water.
- In mid October 2005, Li Jinhao told the inmates who were assigned to watch Mr. Zhai to print "Prisoner" on all of Mr. Zhai's clothes.
- In mid October 2007, prison officials forced Mr. Zhai and four other practitioners to wear uniforms and participate in drills; they went on a ten-day hunger strike to protest and were cruelly force-fed twelve times.
- Later in 2007, Li Weilong, the director of the prison's Political Office, burned Mr. Zhai's jacket and pants to force him to wear a prison uniform. He beat Mr. Zhai with a police baton, severely bruising and wounding Mr. Zhai's head, shoulder and back. For a long period of time, whenever Li was on duty, he would forbid Mr. Zhai to go to the canteen.
- In the beginning of 2009, Chu Zhongxin, Li Jinhao, and Liu Guoqiang beat Mr. Zhai and several other practitioners with fists, feet, and police batons, and forbade Mr. Zhai to go to the canteen for a long period of time. A practitioner's family member reported Li Jinhao to the provincial authorities for his involvement in the beatings, and Mr. Zhai and another Falun Gong practitioner acted as witnesses. In retaliation, Li burned Mr. Zhai's brand new winter clothes and confiscated his Dafa books.
- In early July 2009, Mr. Zhai was beaten again for refusing to wear a prison uniform until his body was covered with wounds, his head was bleeding and his eyes were bloodshot.
6. Mr. Wang Shusen (44), is the former deputy director of the Technology Department of the Xing'an Coal Mine in Hegang City, and a member of the CCP's Political Consultative Conference in Hegang City. In April 2002, he was illegally sentenced to an eighteen-year prison term and was sent to Harbin City Prison No. 3.
In July 2004, he was transferred to Division 50 in Daqing Prison, where inmates were assigned to watch him closely around the clock. He was not allowed to participate in outdoor activities. He was not permitted to practice the Falun Gong exercises or to read Falun Gong books. He was beaten and verbally abused by the prison guards many times.
In July 2009, inmates struck Mr. Wang's head with a wooden block, and he lost consciousness. Recently Mr. Wang suffered a mental collapse due to the brutal beatings administered by inmate Rui Xing.
On August 14, 2007, the prison used riot police to beat Falun Dafa practitioners because they refused to participate in the drills. On the same day, Mr. Wang's wife came to visit him with their baby son, but was not permitted to see Mr. Wang because he refused to wear a prison uniform. Since Mr. Wang's wife had traveled a long distance to come to Daqing, she stayed for three days and repeatedly tried to see her husband but with no success.
- 7. Mr. Zhang Xingye used to work at Oil Production Plant No. 3 in Daqing. In November 2002, he was illegally sentenced to a ten-year prison term in Daqing Prison. Since then, Mr. Zhang has suffered various forms of torture for refusing to wear a prison uniform and refusing to give up his practice of Falun Gong. He was deprived of sleep, brutally beaten, stripped of his clothes for several days and verbally abused in front of others.
- In late 2002, Mr. Zhang was locked up in a small cell, forced to sit on an iron chair and force-fed. To this end, a screwdriver was used to pry open his mouth and a special tool was used to keep his mouth as widely open as possible. Then, a hard tube as thick as a finger was inserted into his throat, causing his nose and mouth to bleed. After the procedure was over, Mr. Zhang could not close his mouth.
- On the morning of December 31, 2008, warden Li Weinan took away some personal items of another practitioner, and Mr. Zhang asked Li to return them. Li refused and ordered three criminal inmates to close the door and beat Mr. Zhang. They hit him with a broomstick. His head was covered with bumps and bruises and his eyes were swollen from the beating.
- On the afternoon of July 14, 2009, because Mr. Zhang firmly resisted the persecution, Li Weilong, the newly appointed deputy director of the prison and Li Weinan, warden of the Sixth Division, ordered Li Huiwu and other inmates to whip Mr. Zhang with a tree branch until his body was covered with blood. They then put handcuffs and shackles on him and left him lying under the scorching sun. He nearly fainted as a result of this torture and from not having had any food for seven days.
- In addition, the prison did not permit Mr. Zhang's family to visit. His father, in his seventies, went to Daqing Prison several times but was never permitted to see his son. It has been more than three years since Mr. Zhang last saw his family.
8. Mr. Dai Zhidong (48) used to work at the Employee Training Center of the Electrical Pump Company administered by the Daqing Petroleum Administration Bureau. In April 2002, he was illegally sentenced to a seven-year prison term and was sent to the Fifth Division of Daqing Prison. Prison guards Wang Yalong and Zhang Guosong ordered twelve inmates to watch Mr. Dai around the clock. He was restricted to two hours of sleep per day, from 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.
In January 2003, Wang Yalong and Zhang Guosong told some inmates to watch Mr. Dai and prevent him from sleeping for three days and nights in an attempt to force him to give up his practice of Falun Gong. Mr. Dai suffered beating and verbal abuse, had cold water poured on him, was forced to sit on a small round stool until it became a torment and was deprived of sleep.
Between March and May 2007, inmate Rui Xing slapped Mr. Dai many times, causing his ears to hurt for six months. His hearing severely deteriorated as a result. He was hit and kicked by inmates Rui Xing and Yang You and was not able to participate in normal activities for more than two weeks. Yang Youlong, the prison guard in the Fifth Division did not stop the inmates from their brutality.
In August 2007, Mr. Dai was forced to participate in the drill but he refused to wear a prison uniform. Yang Youlong instigated Bi Yongchang and another inmate to push Mr. Dai to the ground. They grabbed his feet and dragged him on the ground for more than 100 meters until his sweater was ruined and the skin on his back was abraded.
9. Mr. Fu Wenchang, 46 years old, is a resident of Acheng District, Harbin City. He was illegally sentenced to a nine-year prison term and was held at the Education Division of Daqing Prison. On October 9, 2006, prison guard Li Weinan and others tore his clothes to shreds because he refused to wear a prison uniform.
Prior to the New Year of 2008, Mr. Fu was locked up in a small cell and was forced to sit on an iron chair for five days.
In April 2004, Li Weilong, head of the Political Office in Daqing Prison used riot police to take the practitioners to the cafeteria, forced them to stand near the door and forbade them to eat. When Chen Shu'an, deputy director of the Bureau of Prison Administration in Heilongjiang Province came to Daqing Prison for inspection, Wang Yingjie dragged Mr. Fu from his bed and threw him headfirst to the ground right in front of Chen and a dozen leadership team members of the Daqing Prison. At around noon the next day, Li Weilong called Mr. Fu and another practitioner, Zhang Zhi, to the disciplinary room, where he stripped off their clothes and continued to abuse them.
10. Mr. Li Hai, 47 years old, was formerly a teacher at the No. 64 Middle School in Daqing City. In November 2002, he was illegally sentenced to a twelve-year prison term and was sent to the Second Division of Daqing Prison. Two weeks after he was imprisoned, prison guards Zhu Renshan, Zhu Wenwu and Liu Kai ordered four criminal inmates to keep a 24-hour watch on Mr. Li. On a daily basis, he could only sleep for a few hours and was forced to sit on the edge of the bed; sometimes, he was even forced to stand still for long periods of time, as another form of corporal punishment. Every day he was forced to write the "five statements" (similar to the three statements) to give up the practice of Falun Gong.
At around midnight on October 14, 2004, prison guards Wang Yingjie, Fan Tiegang and several others locked Mr. Li up in confinement. Between 11 p.m. and 9:30 a.m. next day, Mr. Li was hung up while wearing a nine-ring neck chain with a heavy lock weighing approximately ten kilograms. He was locked up in confinement for fifteen days, during which time he went on a hunger strike to protest and was force-fed. His mouth and throat were bleeding and swollen, and he could barely talk, as a result of the force-feeding.
In April 2006, Mr. Li saw Wang Yingjie and Li Tie beat another practitioner, Mr. Xia Yong, and stepped forward to stop them. Wang Yingjie, Li Tie, with Fan Lijun and Wang Jiwen, threw Mr. Li to the ground, handcuffed and kicked him and tore his clothes apart. Mr. Li also suffered torn cartilage on the left side of his chest, and his body was covered with wounds.
In July 2009, Mr. went on a hunger strike to protest the deprivation of food by the prison authorities and was brutally beaten by the prison guards.
11. Mr. Yu Liangbin, 71 years old, was formerly a research fellow at the Agricultural Science Institute in Heilongjiang Province Suihua Branch. He is an expert on rice in Heilongjiang Province and was a member of the science research program appraisal committee. In August 2007, he was sent to the Sixth Division of Daqing Prison.
In December 2008, he was slapped twice by Li Weinan, warden of the Sixth Division, who also used a two-way radio to strike his face and break his teeth, rendering him unable to eat. Every time when Li beat Mr. Yu, he would yell, "Who has allowed you to exercise? I'm going to fix you some day when I have time!"
On January 12, 2009, after getting drunk, Li Weinan started to torture practitioners again. He called Mr. Yu to the study room and tried to force him to sing the CCP's songs and curse Falun Dafa and its founder. He screamed, "My father is 76 years old, but if he practiced Falun Gong, I'd beat him to death. You've printed out what I have done to Falun Gong [practitioners] and posted them from the first to the fourth floor of the apartment building that I live in. I'll stop treating you in this way when you remove all your posters from my building." He then kicked Mr. Yu and also beat the two inmates who were assigned to watch Mr. Yu.
12. Mr. Zhang Kuiwu is from Tailai County, Heilongjiang Province. In the beginning of May 2009, because he and another practitioner, Mr. Liu Zhigao, refused to wear prison uniforms and resisted having "Prisoner" printed on their regular clothes, Mr. Zhang was beaten and thrown to the ground by the prison guard. He was not permitted to eat and was forced to stand under the scorching sun.
In June 2009, Li Weilong kicked and beat Mr. Zhang until he fell to the ground and writhed in pain.
13. Mr. Deng Qingshan, 55 years old, is a resident of Fuyu County, Qiqiha'er City, Heilongjiang Province. On June 27, 2001, Mr. Deng was illegally sentenced to an eight-year prison term by the Zhaodong City Court in the Suihua region.
In 2007, because Mr. Deng refused to cooperate with the prison in their persecution of Falun Gong practitioners and refused to wear the prison uniform, the prison guard cut off all his clothes and burned them. Only a prison uniform was left. Mr. Deng would not wear it and used the bedspread to cover himself for several days.
On June 3, 2009, Mr. Deng refused to take the prison guard's order to wear the prison uniform and was beaten until he fell to the ground. There were two big bumps on his head, and he could not take a deep breath for a week because of his chest pain. After the beating, he was sent to a small isolation cell for 15 days.
14. Mr. An Xing, 38 years old, is a resident of Xinmin Village, Xinxing Township, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province. In November 2001, he was illegally sentenced to an eight-year prison term by the Shuangcheng City Court and was sent to the Fifth Division of Daqing Prison.
On July 25, 2009, because Mr. An refused to wear a prison uniform, the prison guard used a baton to beat him on his shoulder, back, hips, toes and other sensitive parts and poured salt and dirty water over his body afterward.
On July 11 and 12, 2009, the prison held a so-called "group training" for Mr. An, Mr. Liu Hongtu, Mr. Gong Hai'ou, Mr. Zhen Yulin, and Mr. Du Deping, forced them to recite 38 lines of the "preferred prison terms" and sing Communist Party songs, and beat them when they refused.
15. Mr. Ren Zhongde, a resident of Acheng District, Harbin City, was illegally sentenced to a five-year prison term. At approximately 10:00 a.m. on July 15, 2009, Cui Shijun, instructor of the First Ward of Daqing Prison, Liu Yanjun, a section chief, and four inmates forcibly stripped off practitioners' clothes in the discipline room and slapped them. Mr. Ren shouted, "Falun Dafa is good!" They tried to force Mr. Ren to wear a prison uniform before he went to the cafeteria, but he refused.
On July 17, 2009, the prison guard of the First Ward called Mr. Ren to the disciplinary room. Another practitioner, Mr. Yang Chengshan was called in first. When Mr. Ren heard the sound of them beating Mr. Yang inside the room, he tried to push the door open twice, but it was blocked from the inside, and two inmates grabbed him to prevent him from breaking in. Mr. Ren shouted, "Falun Dafa is good!" Liu Yanjun came out of the room to stop him from shouting and told several other inmates to forcibly strip off Mr. Ren's clothes and beat him.
Mr. Yang was beaten for a long time and was severely injured. He was carried out by some inmates.
During the ensuing days, Mr. Ren was forced into the prison uniform several times and each time he would remove it. His trousers and underwear were torn apart many times. Cui Shijun and Liu Yanjun threatened Mr. Ren, saying, "We'll tie you up with cloth and ask Dajun, the filthiest and the ugliest inmate from upstairs to chew up the food first and then spit it into your mouth. Let's see what you can do about it." Quickly the prison guard brought Dajun to them and told him what to do. Dajun was reluctant, so the prison guard threatened him, "If you don't do it, we'll take away points from your assessment and won't consider reducing your sentence in two years." Mr. Ren said sternly, "He may look ugly to you, but that does not give you any right to insult him. You think you have a pretty face, however, your ways and thoughts are the dirtiest."
16. Mr. Qi Fengming is a resident of Nangang District, Harbin City. In the afternoon of July 25, 2009, Li Weilong led a team of prison guards to the First Ward to search the cells and beat up many inmates. They struck Mr. Qi with a police baton five times. Mr. Yang Chengshan, Mr. Ren Zhongde and Mr. Qi were forced into prison uniforms. Two sets of Mr. Qi's clothes, worth more than 2,000 yuan, were burned.
The above facts are what we have collected so far, and they are only the tip of the iceberg of crimes the Daqing Prison has committed against the detained Falun Gong practitioners. The Daqing Prison has resorted to several dozen forms of torture to persecute our loved ones. Their cruelty is unspeakable and brings shame to our nation as well as its people.
II. Grounds for Our Complaints
According to Article 41 of the Chinese Constitution, citizens of the People's Republic of China have the right to criticize and make suggestions to any state organizations and personnel, to appeal, complain, or report unlawful negligence of duty by any state organization or personnel.
We have lawfully reported and complained to various levels of government organizations of the criminal conduct of the Daqing Prison in their involvement in the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. Their conduct, even if it had been committed against convicted criminals, is unlawful, as they have violated Articles 246, 247, and 248 of the Criminal Law of the People's Republic of China.
When these acts were committed against innocent people, who should not have been imprisoned in the first place, it is compounding their mistakes.
The Criminal Law of the People's Republic of China provides the following definition of the crime of extorting a confession by torture and the crime of abusing a suspect in custody, both of which are also listed as crimes of extorting confession by torture according to international law.
"Act of any state functionary intentionally inflicted on the alleged offender for such purpose as to obtaining from him a confession by means of corporal punishment or measures equivalent to corporal punishment, which include tying up, lifting off the floor, beating with cruelty, or using various torture devices to inflict suffering on the alleged offender, and act of using other means to torture the alleged offender."
"The serious act of judicial personnel who violate prison law and regulations and conduct corporal punishment and mistreatment of sentenced prisoners and other alleged offenders detained or held in custody, including acts of beating, scolding, starvation, exposure to cold temperature, arbitrary confinement, forced hard labor, humiliation or unfair use of torture devices."
- According to Article 5 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, "No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."
- It is stated in Article 1 of the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment that "For the purposes of this Convention, the term 'torture' means any
- act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity."
- Article 2 of the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG) defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."
Measured by both the international and domestic laws, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is indeed a criminal organization that has been carrying out torture and a policy of genocide. These articles are a true manifestation of the nature of the CCP criminal organization. In the past ten years, at least nine Falun Gong practitioners have been tortured to death in the Daqing Prison. They are: Mr. Yu Yongquan, Mr. Wang Hongde, Mr. Xu Jishan, Mr. Yuan Qingjiang, Mr. Zhu Hongbing, Mr. Li Min, Mr. Ni Wenkui, Mr. Zhou Shuhai, and Mr. Zhao Qingshan. We do not want to see more of our loved ones become victims of the torture and killing that is happening in the prison. The CCP has mobilized the entire state apparatus to launch a widespread violent suppression against innocent citizens who are striving to be good people but labeled by the CCP as enemies of the state. We believe this is not only an issue of law enforcement officials, who are "educated" by the CCP, abusing their power and willfully harming others. It is the CCP's systematic, premeditated, purposeful, top down killing of a group of practitioners.
Our loved one are suffering torture in Daqing Prison and their lives are in grave danger. We constantly worry about their situation, which puts us in agony. For more than six months in 2009, we have appealed through proper channels to bring attention to the fact that Daqing Prison deprives our loved ones the right to food and visitation and subjects them to brutal beatings and torture.
Recently, we have appealed to the Prison Administration Section, Prison-based Inspection Office, the Procuratorate, and the Department of Justice in Daqing City, the Bureau of Justice in Heilongjiang Province, the Ministry of Justice in Beijing, the National People's Congress, and other government bodies. The unanimous inaction of these state organizations or justicial authorities has put us in despair. For lack of an available channel to file complaints or any response to our calls for help inside of China, we have no choice but to file our complaints of the criminal conduct of Daqing Prison with the United Nations Commission on Human Rights. We are calling on the international community to assist us in investigating the persecution facts and to uphold the sanctity of law and the rights of the citizens of the contracting states.
China was elected a member of the Human Rights Commission in 1981 and has been a member ever since. Since 1980, China has signed, approved and joined several Conventions on Human Rights. Yet the Chinese regime has trampled all international laws and regulations, ignored the force of justice around the world, indiscriminately killed innocent people, and put the entire nation in extreme misery. Its actions run counter to the international obligations a contracting state should assume and the laws it should observe. In particular, it has turned a blind eye to the fact that Falun Gong has spread to more than 114 countries and regions around the world, that in the ten years of nonviolent movement against the persecution, Falun Gong practitioners have brought Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance to the hearts of millions and won the understanding and support of people around the world. Instead, the CCP continued to carry out its brutality that arouses the indignation of both man and God. Its crimes have gravely violated international and domestic laws and are too numerous to record. They should be stopped.
III. Our Appeals and Requests
1. A complete investigation of the crimes of libel, instigating hatred, crimes against humanity, genocide, and torture that Jiang Zemin's regime has committed in the ten years of the persecution of Falun Gong.
2. A complete investigation of the torture of detained Falun Gong practitioners committed by law enforcement officials in Daqing Prison.
3. Call for the immediate release of all detained Falun Gong practitioners in Daqing Prison.
4. Investigation according to law of the criminal liabilities of the government and law enforcement officials who abuse their power.
5. Compensation for the emotional distress and economic loss of the victims of illegal detention and their families.
As citizens of China, we fully understand that Jiang Zemin and his regime's policy of terror against Falun Gong practitioners, which is "defaming their reputations, bankrupting them financially, and destroying them physically," is a destruction of humanity and morality. In the past ten years, we [family members] have endured similar persecution Falun Gong practitioners have gone through simply because of the CCP's policy of guilt by association. Today we can say that it is time, and the Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party, enabled us to see through the lies fabricated by the CCP regime. It is Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance that has enabled us to gradually realize that these universal principles are the only hope for China and all humankind, because only in China, only under the totalitarian system that is rotten to the core, can we witness firsthand the cunning nature of the CCP.
At present, the Chinese Communist regime's persecution of Falun Gong practitioners has drawn the attention of the international community. Today we come together from different parts of the world with the mission history has entrusted to us, and united we face the opportunity bestowed upon us by Heaven to choose a new life.
Time is of the essence in saving lives. We urgently hope that the international human rights organizations can come to Heilongjiang Province as early as possible. When you are here, we will tell you, face to face and in great detail, the unprecedented human rights catastrophes we and our loved ones have endured.
Thank you very much.
May God protect all good people and keep them from harm.
Family members and relatives of Falun Gong practitioners in Harbin City, Jiamusi Region, Qiqihar City, and Jixi City in Heilongjiang Province who are, or had been, detained in Daqing Prison.
We hope that copies of this document can be sent to:
The U.N. Torture Panel
Special Rapporteurs on torture, freedom of opinion and expression, and human rights protection and Working group on arbitrary detention and summary execution
The UN Committee Against Torture
Coalition to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong in China (CIPFG) Mr. Clive Ansley, director of CIPFG North America, lawyer and China expert Baroness Caroline Cox, director of CIPFG Europe, senior Senator of the United Kingdom Mr. Lai Ching-te, director of CIPFG Asia, member of the Taiwan Legislative Council Mr. Andrew Bartlett, director of CIPFG Australia, member of the Federal Parliament
World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (WOIPFG)
Relevant Government Organs and Officials:
Hu Kangsheng, member of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), managing member of the Legislative Committee of the NPC: 23 Xijiaominxiang, Beijing, China. Zip code 100805. 86-10-63093389 (Office)
Wu Aiying, Minister of Justice: 10 Chaoyangmeng Blvd., Chaoyang District, Beijing, China. Zip Code 100020. 86-10-65205114 (Office)
Meng Jianzhu, Minister of Public Security: 14 Changanjie East, Beijing, China. Zip Code 100741
Xiao Yang, President of the Supreme People's Court: 27 Dongjiaominxiang, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China. Zip Code 100745. 86-10-85256114 (Operator)
Ji Bingxuan, secretary of the CCP Committee in Heilongjiang Province
Huang Jiansheng, secretary of the CCP Political Security Committee in Heilongjiang Province
- Sun Yongbo, director of the Public Security Bureau in Heilongjiang Province: 202 Zhongshan Road, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip Code 150001. 86-451-82696123 (Office) firstname.lastname@example.org (Email)
- Liu Yichang, director of the Bureau of Justice, Heilongjiang Province: 433 Hongqi Dajie, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip code 150090. 86-451-82297064 (Office). email@example.com (Email)
Nan Ying, president of the Supreme People's Court in Heilongjiang Province.
Zhang Shuyuan, acting president of the Supreme People's Court in Heilongjiang Province 27 Songshan Road, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip code 150000. 86-451-82392821 (Office)
Jiang Wei, procurator-general of Supreme People's Procuratorate in Heilongjiang Province: 85 Changjiang Road, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip code 150000
Li Yanzhi, secretary of the Office of Letters and Calls of the Discipline-inspection Commissions in Heilongjiang Province Pang Yihua, Yang Delu, Cao Xiaofeng, Guo Li, deputy secretaries of the Office of Letters and Calls of the Discipline-inspection Commissions in Heilongjiang Province 294 Huayuan Street, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip code 150001. 86-451-12388 (Hotline)
- Wang Xuejun, director of the Bureau of Letters and Calls in Heilongjiang Province
- Wang Shiqi, Xu Jie, Wang Yaodong, Zhang Pengfa, Zhang Enxi, Xu Lingyi, deputy directors of the Bureau of Letters and Calls in Heilongjiang Province 161 Huayuan Street, Nangang District, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. Zip code 150001. 86-451-12345 (Hotline) http://www.hljxf.gov.cn/ (Website)
Qian Yunlu, chairman of the People's Congress of Heilongjiang Province
Liu Haisheng, vice chairman of the People's Congress of Heilongjiang Province
Department of Justice in Daqing City Director Zheng: 86-459-6181608; Deputy director Yu: 86-459-6364506; Deputy director Huang: 86-459-4689677
Daqing Prison, Ranghulu District, Daqing City. Zip code 163159
Wang Yongxiang, director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5057999 (Office), 86-459-5105087 (Home), 86-13199086888 (Cell)
Chen Qingfa, Political Commissar of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5058588 (Office), 86-459-4686358 (Home), 86-13329491288 (Cell)
Zhang Yajun, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5059122 (Office), 86-459-6388889 (Home), 86-13359825633 (Cell)
Wang Jiaren, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5050616 (Office), 86-459-4687616 (Home), 86-13303697969 (Cell)
Tan Ronglai, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5050618 (Office), 86-459-6133365 (Home), 86-13304694188 (Cell)
Wang Yingjie, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5058999 (Office), 86-459-6363870 (Home), 86-13836816666 (Cell)
Cui Changhua, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-459-5059808 (Office)
Li Weilong, deputy director of Daqing Prison: 86-13936903441 (Cell)
Written on August 4, 2009