Name: Li Jinghua (李景華)
Gender: Female
Age: 41
Address: Chunhe Street, Kedong County, Heilongjiang Province
Occupation: Gynecologist-obstetrician

Date of Most Recent Arrest: November 27, 2004
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Qiqihar Forced Labor Camp (齐齐哈尔劳教所 )
City: Qiqihar City
Heilongjiang Province
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, extortion, interrogation, sleep deprivation, beatings, home ransacked, physical constraint, forced labor .

Key Persecutors: Lv Dingzhi, Xin Hua

( Ms. Li Jinghua used to be a gynecologist-obstetrician at Kedong County Hospital in Heilongjiang Province. The Kedong County police arrested Ms. Li three times for practicing Falun Gong. The first two times they held her in the Kedong County Detention Center. The third time she was taken to the Kedong County Public Safety Bureau 610 Office. Chief of the Bureau Lu Dingzhi and Deputy Secretary of the County Commission Xin Hua actively tortured her. Ms. Li was put on the Iron Chair in different positions for seven days straight. As a result, she vomited, her body swelled up, her back bled, and her leg muscles were strained.

Ms. Li is 41 years old and lived on Chunhe Street, Kedong County, Heilongjiang Province. On December 18, 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and asked the government to give practitioners a legal environment to practice. She was arrested and held in the Shuangchengbao Train Station Police Station. That afternoon, Wang Hongtao, Kedong County Public Safety Bureau division chief, and Wang Chengfu, deputy chief of Shuangchengbao Train Station Police Station in Harbin, arrested Ms. Li's husband. They interrogated him as to her whereabouts, what she had done, and whom she went with. After interrogation, they took 2000 yuan from Ms. Li's husband.

The next day Ms. Li's husband's employer put her husband under house arrest because of what Ms. Li had done. Their 7-year-old child was left alone in school. Ms. Li's 70-year-old mother had to go pick up the child and take over the childcare.

Interrogated in Kedong County Detention Center

On December 20, 2000, Wang Hongtao and Wang Chengfu arrested several practitioners, including Ms. Li. They took the practitioners to the county detention center. The two officers and Deputy Secretary Xin, County Public Safety Bureau deputy chief Liang Zhiguo, a person from the County Propaganda Department with the last name of Yang, officers from County Public Safety Bureau Bi Guangyi and Gu Zhanchao, and officers from the County First Police Station Zhang Ming and Wu Guofeng took turns torturing Ms. Li. They would not let her sleep and interrogated her over 30 times. They threatened her family with sending her to a forced labor camp if they were not paid off.

During that time, Chief of the Detention Center Yu Zhong, Deputy Chief Zhang Heyun, and collaborator Wang Shiyuan often beat Ms. Li. Chief of the Health Bureau Xin Rong, Deputy Chief of the Detention Center Yu Xiaoqin, and Gao Yingzhou often tried to coerce Ms. Li into writing a statement to renounce Falun Gong. On May 8, 2001, she was released. Before she could leave, Wang Hongtao and Wang Chengfu took 3000 yuan as a "deposit" from Ms. Li's family without issuing a receipt.

Endless harassment

After December 18, 2000, Wang Chengfu often took officers from the First Police Station to harass Ms. Li and her family.

On November 5, 2001, officer Zhang Daming and collaborator Yang (first name unknown) took Ms. Li to the First Police Station. Wang Chengfu sent Zhang Daming to Ms. Li's house to search for Falun Dafa books and materials. Ms. Li's husband resisted and Zhang left. In the afternoon, Ms. Li was released.

Taken to the Kedong County Detention Center a third time

On December 31, 2001, County Hospital Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Secretary Li Wanyu called Ms. Li and told her to promise to never go to Beijing to protest. Ms. Li refused. Li Wanyu reported Ms. Li to the County 610 Office. That night ,Wang Chengfu and collaborators Yang and Dong arrested Ms. Li and locked her in the detention center.

A week later, prisoner Liu Shuxia reported to collaborator Wang Shiyuan that Ms. Li did the Falun Gong exercises. In the evening on January 7, 2002, Deputy Director Zhang Heyun and collaborator Gan Lihua took Ms. Li to an office and pushed her down to the ground. They handcuffed her behind her back and attached the handcuffs to a bed frame. Her hands became numb and swollen because of the overly tightened handcuffs.

On March 21, 2002, she told Wang Chengfu and Yang to release her. They refused and accused her of disturbing the peace in the prison. They threatened to send her to a forced labor camp. Her family had to bribe officials in the County Political Legal Commission and the County 610 Office. On April 4, 2002, Ms. Li was released. Again Wang Chengfu and Wang Hongtao demanded a 3000-yuan "deposit" from her family without issuing a receipt. After Ms. Li went home, the 610 Office director, Ren Bieqiu; officers from the First Police Station Xu Shiying, Wu (first name unknown), and Xu (first name unknown); and collaborator Yang went separate times to Ms. Li's house to harass her and her family.

Arrested a third time and tortured with the "Iron Chair"

On November 27, 2004, Ms. Li was arrested a third time. Chief of the Public Safety Bureau Lu Dingzhi and Deputy Secretary of the County Commission Xin Hua were behind the arrest. Deputy Chief of the Bureau Pei Xingquan ordered the director of the 610 Office Wang Zhenhai, and officers from the First Police Station, including Sun Fuhai, to arrest Ms. Li at home.

They took Ms. Li to the County 610 Office. Xin Jing and Wang Zhenhai from Qianfeng Police Station interrogated her and forced her to sit on an "Iron Chair" for one day. The next day, Wang Zhenhai handcuffed Ms. Li behind the back of her chair and kicked her off the Iron Chair such that she was in a position that strained her back and arms. Half an hour later, her arms were swollen and numb. The police would not let Ms. Li's family visit her because they did not want them to see her injuries. The County Public Safety Bureau threatened to sentence her to seven years in prison. Her family bribed the 610 Office of the Bureau, the 610 Office of the Qiqihar Political and Legal Commission, and the Qiqihar Public Safety Bureau, but Ms. Li was sentenced to two years in a forced labor camp anyway.

Deputy Chief of the County Public Safety Bureau Pei Xingquan actively participates in arresting and torturing practitioners. For his efforts, Pei was recognized as one of the ten most outstanding public servants in Kedong County.

On December 28, 2004, Wang Zhenhai, Liu Jin, and the county detention center chief, Li (first name unknown), sent Ms. Li to Qiqihar Forced Labor Camp. She was put in the 8th brigade. The captain on duty, Wang Mei, and guard Yang Fenghua ordered five collaborators to take turns brainwashing Ms. Li around the clock. She was not allowed to sleep. The five collaborators, former Falun Gong practitioners that believed in the CCP's propaganda and gave up the practice, are Wang Yuzhi of Fuyu County, Guo Jingjun, Chen Guifang, Ji Shuxian from Inner Mongolia, and Zhang Lixin.

Head of the 8th brigade Zhang Zhijie (female) tortured Ms. Li with an Iron Chair. The strain from being forced into an awkward position put Ms. Li in great pain. Everyday she was given two meals. Each meal contained half a bun, a little bit of pickle, and water. She was not allowed to brush her teeth or change clothes. She was fixed on the Iron Chair for seven days straight, and each day her position worsened, causing her excruciating pain.

The third day Ms. Li was on the Iron Chair, the handcuffs cut into her hands and they bled.

The fourth day Liu Shurong, captain of the guards, was on duty. By that time Ms. Li's arms were severely swollen. At night, the temperature was so low that Ms. Li could not bare the coldness, and she asked Liu Shurong to let her wear warm clothes. Liu refused at first but finally agreed after Ms. Li begged several times.

The fifth day guard Huang Jing was on duty. Huang handcuffed Ms. Li on the back of the Iron Chair. Ms. Li was in such a position that she could neither stand, squat, nor kneel down. Her legs were strained as a result.

The sixth day Zhang Zhijie and Liu Shurong made Ms. Li squat on the Iron Chair. They handcuffed her to the chair. Ms. Li's wrists bled in the process. She could not stand up or sit down. After a day, her back bled due to the rubbing against the back of the chair.

The seventh day, Zhang Zhijie was on duty. Ms. Li had vomited by that time and her arms, hands, legs, and feet were swollen. Her back bled and her leg muscles were strained. Under this extreme physical pain and pressure, Ms. Li wrote a statement renouncing Falun Dafa and promised she would never practice again.

Afterward, the guards forced Ms. Li to do intensive manual labor. Fu Chengjuan was the guard in charge. She forced the prisoners to work overtime so that she could earn rewards.

In 2006, the Qiqihar Forced Labor Camp built a new office building with the money they made from the prisoners' hard labor. Prisoners ate poorly in the camp. The food was cooked in pork fat made from pork with mold growing on it. The frostbitten vegetables were kept in the basement. Prisoners had to eat them from winter until they were gone in the summer. Budding potatoes were also served to prisoners.

Wang Mei forced Ms. Li and other practitioners to wash the toilets from November 2005 to January 2007. Everyone in the camp but the practitioners were allowed to have family visits.

During Ms. Li's three imprisonments, her family spent 47,000 yuan in payoffs to officials. The police officers took 6000 yuan "deposit" from Ms. Li's family and told them to pay their travel expenses of 2000 yuan. From December 18, 2000, to February 2009, Kedong County Hospital refused to let Ms. Li go back to work and suspended her pay.

Those who actively participated in the persecution of Ms. Li:

Liu Zhongliang, deputy secretary of Kedong County Commission and secretary of the Political and Legal Commission
Xin Hua, deputy secretary of the Political and Legal Commission
Zhu Xuezhi, chief of the 610 Office of the County Political and Legal Commission
Li Wei and Zhu Xiaohong, deputy county chiefs
Xin Rong and Sun Zhanfu, directors of the County Public Health Bureau
Ding Guoguang, Jin Nanzhe, Wang Shuanghui, and Li Wanyu, directors of the County Hospital
Jiang Baichuan, former secretary of Qiqihar City Commission.