Name: Lu Yunlai (卢运来)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Address: Jinshui District, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province
Occupation: Former employee of Henan Province Irrigation Management Bureau
Date of Death: October 30, 2009
Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 28, 2008
Most Recent Place of Detention: Baimiao Forced Labor Camp in Zhengzhou City (郑州市白庙劳教所)
City: Zhengzhou
Province: Henan
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, beatings, torture, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( (By a correspondent from Jilin Province) Mr. Lu Yunlai began practicing Falun Dafa in 1997. He lost his job because his employer could not maintain a profit. He repaired motorcycles, washed cars, and ran a small restaurant to support his family. Mr. Lu was a very intelligent and hardworking man. After he started practicing Falun Dafa, he became healthy and lived a happy life.

After July 1999, under the huge pressure of the persecution of Falun Gong, Mr. Lu still persisted in his practice, and he was harassed and detained by the authorities multiple times. At around 3 p.m. on September 28, 2008, Mr. Lu and his wife Ms. Cao Xia planned to go to their family-owned restaurant to work, but as soon as they stepped out of the house, they were arrested by several plainclothes officers, including Shakoulu Police Station Director Wang Ting and officer Wu Xiaojie (female). The police ransacked their home and detained the couple in the Matougang Detention Center in Jinshui District.

Officers from the Zhengzhou City Police Department interrogated Mr. Lu while torturing him with a method referred to as "Roasting the Whole Lamb"(1). Mr. Lu passed out during the interrogation.

Lu Yunlai was transferred to the First Ward of the Baimiao Forced Labor Camp with a one-year term. He was brutally beaten and forced to do a long labor shift. Guard Ma Junfeng and prisoner Gao Lei beat Mr. Lu with a wooden stick, causing it to break in half. Because he had to sit for more than a dozen hours to do forced labor each day, Mr. Lu's buttocks developed sores that became infected.

By March 2009, after only four months in the labor camp, Mr. Lu Yunlai's health had significantly deteriorated as a result of torture and abuse. The camp authorities did not notify his family that Mr. Lu had contracted tuberculosis. By the end of July 2009, Mr. Lu had developed fluid in his legs and abdomen (medical term: liver ascites), suffered an enlargement of his liver and spleen, had pulmonary tuberculosis, fluid between the layers of tissue that line the lungs and chest cavity (pleural effusion), and intestinal obstruction. He was then taken to the hospital for an examination. It was found that cancer cells had spread throughout his organs. He also had severe anemia and an electrolyte disorder. He was emaciated. The Baimiao Forced Labor Camp did not want to take any responsibility for Mr. Lu's condition and asked his family to request that he be bailed out for medical reasons.

When Mr. Lu's family rushed to the labor camp, they learned that he had been checked into the hospital and diagnosed with late stage lung cancer. Lu Yunlai died on October 30, 2009, two months after being released from Baimiao Forced Labor Camp.

Mr. Lu Yunlai after being released home

Baimiao Forced Labor Camp: 86-371-63862232
Management Office: 86-371-63852502
First Ward: 86-371-63862213
Third Ward: 86-371-63862291
Labor Camp Office of Zhengzhou City Justice Bureau: 86-371-67661802, 86-371-67661679, 86-371-67661843
Shakou Street Police Station (Director Wang Ting): 86-371-63755542, 86-371-63757923
Henan Province 610 Office: 86-371-65902233, 86-371-65904038
Henan Province CCP Political and Judiciary Committee: 86-371-65902602

Written on December 7, 2009