Name: Huang Lizhong (黄立忠)
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Address: Lianshan District Huludao City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Medical Ph.D. Student in Jilin University
Date of Death: October 25, 2009
Date of Most Recent Arrest: February 25, 2008, July 5, 2009
Most Recent Place of Detention: Panjin City Prison (盘锦监狱)
City: Panjin
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Electric Shock, Illegal Sentencing, Beatings, Hung Up, Imprisonment, Torture
Key Persecutors: Wang Jianjun (Fifth Warden王建军: 86-427-5638131 (Office), 86-427-5632022 (Home), 86-13390270503 (Cell)

( (By a correspondent from Liaoning Province)

Mr. Huang Lizhong

Mr. Huang Lizhong was arrested on February 25, 2008 at his home. He was sentenced to nine years in prison by the Lianshan District Court, and in September 2008 he was taken to Panjin City Prison According to sources, office head Liu Xinyuan led Fifth Ward guards to electrically shock and hang up practitioners in April. Starting from April 16, 2009, Liu Xinyuan used practitioners doing the exercises as an excuse to brutally beat and shock them with electric batons. They shocked Huang Lizhong and two other practitioners every day. From April 17-19, 2009 Mr. Huang and six other practitioners were taken to the strict control ward to be tortured. On April 20, 2009, Mr. Huang was severely shocked with electric batons by guard Wang Jianjun, and his internal organs were damaged.

On May 2, 2009, Mr. Huang's wife went to visit him. Ma Ying, the Fifth Section guard of the Fifth Ward said, "Huang Lizhong violated the prison regulations, and according to the prison rules, he is not allowed to have visitors for five months." Mrs. Huang requested to see the regulations, but Ma Ying could not find any, and replied, "The rules are not established by myself, and you can come back in five months." Mrs. Huang had no choice but to leave without seeing him. She tried again to visit him in June, but was again refused.

On October 20, 2009, Mrs. Huang went to visit Mr. Huang in the Fifth Ward. Ma Ying told her that he had been transferred to the Fifth Section of the Seventh Ward, so Mrs. Huang went to the Seventh Ward Warden Zhang Guoloin, the Seventh Warden, talked to her first, and said, "Mr. Huang was transferred to the Seventh Ward on August 28, 2009. His physical condition is not good so he was taken to the Sick Inmate's Ward located in the Fifth Ward. You can go visit him this afternoon."

At around 2 p.m. on October 20, 2009, Mr. Huang was helped by a prisoner to reach the visitation room. Mrs. Huang could not recognize him. His face looked very dry, he was as thin as a skeleton, his teeth were deformed, he had no energy to talk, and his whole body shivered. In only five months, a perfectly healthy 47-year-old person's physical condition was wrecked.

Mrs. Huang told him, "They would not allow me to visit you, and said you violated regulations." Mr. Huang replied, "Violated regulations? It was because they shocked me with electric batons until I almost died. Later I regained life little by little." She asked, "When?" Mr. Huang answered, "April 20." Mrs. Huang asked, "Who shocked you?" He answered, "Wang Jianjun." She asked, "Who else tortured you?" He answered, "No one else, as I had enough."

Mrs. Huang wanted to ask for more details, but the guards stopped her. Mr. Huang told her that he could not hear sometimes due to the severe electric baton shocks. The visitation only lasted 20 minutes as Mr. Huang was very weak and hardly had energy to talk, and kept shivering. She finally knew the true reason for not letting her visit was to cover up the fact that the guards had almost killed Mr. Huang with electric baton shocks.

Only five days later, at 9:30 p.m. on October 25, 2009, the prison authorities notified Mrs. Huang that Mr. Huang Lizhong had died in custody.

Guard Zhang, Sick Inmate Ward: 86-13942746362 (Cell)

Written on October 29, 2009