(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Zhang Chuanguang was arrested on November 19, 2008. Officers from the National Security Division of the Hua'nan Police Department in Heilongjiang Province made the arrest and took him to the Hua'nan Detention Center. He kept reciting the Fa, practicing the five exercises, sending forth righteous thoughts, and clarifying the facts about Falun Dafa. He often shouted, "Falun Dafa is good" and every time he did this, the detainees followed and shouted after him.

Mr. Zhang was transferred to three different wards during his two weeks of detention. Wherever he went, he clarified the facts and persuaded people to withdraw from the CCP and its affiliated organizations. Many inmates learned the first exercise. One inmate did not shout "Falun Dafa is good" at the beginning. Mr. Zhang had a chat with him and learned that he was detained for injuring his wife. He planned to spend a few years in prison and then kill his wife upon his release. After Mr. Zhang talked to him, he changed his plans and shouted "Falun Dafa is good" from the bottom of his heart. Then, when he appeared in court, his wife dropped the charges against him. This changed his fate altogether. He told other detainees that this benevolent outcome was the result of shouting "Falun Dafa is good" from the bottom of his heart.

After being detained for ten days, Mr. Zhang Chuanguang began a hunger strike. Originally the police had decided to sentence him to one year of forced labor along with Mr. Wen Hongjun. On December 1, police officer Chen Yujun from the Hua'nan National Security Division attempted to send these two practitioners to the Shuihua Forced Labor Camp. On their way, Mr. Zhang shouted on the top of his lungs, "Falun Dafa is good!" As a result, when they arrived in Jiamusi City, the police turned around and returned to Hua'nan Detention Center.

Mr. Zhang continued his hunger strike. His relatives and fellow practitioners all actively joined in helping to rescue him. During the 16 days that he was detained, his mother Ms. Guo Renai, who is also a practitioner, went to the police department 15 times to clarify the facts and request the release of her son. Mr. Zhang's relatives also participated in this rescue activity. Finally, Mr. Zhang Chuanguang was released on the afternoon of December 5, 2008. As they released him, the police attempted to extort two thousand yuan from the family, but Ms. Guo Renai resolutely refused to comply.