Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Ma Zhixin from Zhaoge Town of Anqiu City lost the ability to take care of himself due to the persecution. His wife, Zhang Zhenfang, was sentenced to five years in prison in 2002, because she practices Falun Gong. Currently she is being detained in Jinan Women's Prison.

Their daughter Ma Qiuxia passed the entrance examination of the Foreign Languages Department of the Bingzhou Institute in Shandong Province this summer. Their relatives and friends lent her over 9,000 yuan [approximately 18-months of salary for an average urban worker; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income for an urban worker in China] for tuition at the University.

In the past five years of persecution, Ma Zhixin and his family have had a total of 69,842 yuan extorted from them, including individual amounts of 5,710 yuan, 2,000 yuan, and 40,132 yuan by Liu Jiang, Party Secretary of Danshan Town Politics & Law Committee, and 22,000 yuan by Zhang Jinxiao and Li Shenghua, two policemen in Anqiu City. Most of the total sum was borrowed from their relatives and friends.

Mr. Ma Zhixin is currently 45 years old. He started to practice Falun Dafa in 1998. He benefited a lot both physically and spiritually. On July 20, 1999, Jiang's regime started to persecute Falun Dafa. Ma Zhixin and his wife went to Beijing to clarify the truth of Falun Dafa in October 1999. At Tiananmen Square, Liu Jiang, Party Secretary of Danshan Town Politics & Law Committee, and some policemen from Danshan Town Police Substation abducted them. They were first detained in the office of Danshan Town in Beijing, where the police did a body search and took all the cash that Ma Zhixin had with him (5,710 yuan). Then they were taken to Anqiu Detention Center.

During the period when Ma Zhixin and his wife went to Beijing, local policemen and thugs searched their home and confiscated one VCR and two motorbikes. One of the motorbikes was used by a policeman surnamed Gao. Even though Ma Zhixin and his family members asked Gao for it several times, Gao did not return it until last year. When he returned the motorbike, it was completely unusable.

After 30 days in the Anqiu Detention Center, Ma Zhixin was transferred to the brainwashing class held in the Danshan Ruling Party School. His wife was transferred to the Anqiu Detention Center where she was kept in custody for another 30 days after 15 days in the Anqiu Detention House. During their detention, Party Secretary Liu Jiang extorted 2,000 yuan from Ma Zhixin's brother-in-law, with the excuse that he would hand in the money to the Anqiu Public Security Bureau and have Zhang Zhenfang released. After Zhang Zhenfang got out of the detention center, she was sent directly to the brainwashing class in Danshan Ruling Party School.

In the brainwashing class, Ma Zhixin and his wife were tortured. They were detained in two separate rooms, in which they had to sleep on the concrete floor at night. The policemen did not give them any blankets or covers. When it became -15 oC (5 oF), Ma Zhixin slept on a thin board while Zhang Zhenfang slept on a worn-out straw mattress on the concrete floor. Zhou Songshan, one of the policemen, often deliberately opened the windows when it became coldest at night. Liu Jiang also threatened Ma Zhixin's two brothers-in-law who work in the town government. His two brothers-in-law and about ten other government officers were forced to torture Ma Zhixina and his wife in turn. Mr. Ma and his wife were provided with only one baked bun a day for food. The buns were paid by Mr. Ma's brother-in-laws. When the policemen saw that Ma Zhixin and his wife were not going to give up their practice of Falun Gong, they did not allow them to go to bathroom any longer. Mr. Ma and his wife had to urinate and defecate in the same room they were detained in.

Ma Zhixin and his wife were detained for a long time. When the New Year's Eve drew near, they were still kept in custody while the people who watched over them in shifts in the brainwashing class were eager to go home for the New Year. At that time, Party Secretary Liu Jiang extorted 40,132 yuan, the share that Ma Zhixin had in the local Buying & Selling Center, before he released them for New Year's Day.

In June 2000, Ma Zhixin and his wife went to Beijing to validate Dafa again. Policemen from Anqiu City arrested them in Beijing and sent them to their Beijing office. After that, they took Mr. Ma and his wife back to the Anqiu Detention Center. Mr. Ma and his wife went on a hunger strike in protest against the illegal detention. Seven days later, they left the detention center.

After they came back home, Party Secretary Liu Jiang and his people set up a shack in front of Ma Zhixin's home. Liu Jiang arranged over a dozen people to work in shifts to monitor Ma Zhixin and his wife and prohibit them from leaving their home. On July 20, 2000, policemen in Anqiu City arrested local Falun Dafa practitioners on a large scale. After all the Anqiu detention centers were filled with Falun Dafa practitioners, policemen detained practitioners in police substations and practitioners' work units.

On July 18, 2000, Liu Jiang and twenty more people, including all policemen in the local police substation and people from other departments, came in two vehicles to Ma Zhixin's corn fields, where they abducted Ma Zhixin and his wife again. The two practitioners were held in the Anqiu Detention House for 15 days.

After they were released, Ma Zhixin and his wife became homeless and destitute in order to avoid detention again. Their daughter, who was a student in Anqiu No.1 High School, was left in the care of their parents who were over seventy years old.

In April 2002, Ma Zhixin and his wife were arrested somewhere outside Anqiu City. Local policemen kept them in custody in the Anqiu Detention Center. After that, Zhang Zhenfang was taken to Wangchun Forced Labor Camp. Ma Zhixin went on a hunger strike in protest against the persecution. Officers tied him to a steel chair, with hands handcuffed and feet fettered. Then they ordered the criminal detainees to force-feed him. After the force-feeding, they did not pull out the feeding tube from his nose. Several days later, they took Ma Zhixin to the Anqiu People's Hospital and force-fed him again. Some days later, they sent Mr. Ma to Changle Forced Labor Camp in Weifang City.

Since Ma Zhixin was in poor condition, the forced labor camp did not accept him. Policemen in Anqiu City drove him back from Changle Forced Labor Camp to Anqiu Detention Center.

After being in the Anqiu Detention Center for a month, one day Ma Zhixin suddenly had the symptoms of a stroke: he could not control the left side of his body, he could not move his left hand and foot; he could not speak, and could not see. At this time, Anqiu policemen took him to the Anqiu People's Hospital again. Upon arrival at the hospital, Zhang Jinxiao, a policeman, phoned Ma Zhixin's brothers-in-law, saying, "We do not want Ma Zhixin any more. Come and fill out the paperwork to take him back."

When Ma Zhixin's brothers-in-law and sisters came to the hospital, they did not see Ma Zhixin. Policeman Zhang Jinxiao said to them, "Finish the paperwork first, then I will tell you the number of Ma Zhixin's room."

When they got to Ma Zhixin's room, they were shocked by what they saw. Ma Zhixin, who had been very healthy before, could not walk or speak, and was close to death.

The policemen in Anqiu City then intensified their persecution against Ma Zhixin's wife. They first transferred her from Wangchun Forced Labor Camp to the Anqiu Detention Center in an attempt to sentence her. Before the sentencing, the police once again tried to extort money from Ma Zhixin's family. At the beginning, policeman Li Shenghua phoned Ma Zhixin and told him, "Prepare 50,000 yuan and hand it to the Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team in Anqiu City. Then your wife can go back home to take care of you." Ma Zhixin said, "I have no money." After some time, Li Shenghua called Ma Zhixin again on his cell phone: "Thirty-thousand yuan will do." So that his wife could come back to look after him, Ma Zhixin borrowed 30,000 yuan from his relatives and friends and delivered it to Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team in Anqiu City. Policemen Zhang Jinxiao and Li Shenghua received the money and said, "If we cannot get her back, the money will be returned." However, Zhang Zhenfang was illegally sentenced to five years in prison by the Kuiwen District Court. She is being detained in Jinan Women's Prison.

After Ma Zhixin learned that his wife was sentenced to prison, his relatives went to the Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team and asked for the 30,000 yuan back from Zhang Jinxiao and Li Shenghua. Though they went there several times, the police did not return the money. Then Ma Zhixin went there himself several times. In the end, Zhang Jinxiao shouted at him, "Fine, you can have the money back. But we'll get you back to the detention center and extend your wife's term in prison."

Later on, Ma Zhixin went to see Zhang Jinxiao and Li Shenghua several times, asking for the 30,000 yuan. Seven months later, only 8,000 yuan was returned.

At present, Ma Zhixin and his family are in an extremely difficult situation due to the persecution: Ma Zhixin is unable to take care of himself and has no income. He is pained in his heart. His wife is still being detained in Jinan Women's Prison. His daughter was enrolled in Bingzhou Institute, but her tuition is borrowed from relatives and friends. His parents were frequently harassed and threatened by policemen. In their seventies, they have to worry about their children and grandchildren.

Responsible parties:

Country code 86, city code 536 (unless noted)

The "610 Office" in Anqiu City, 4396609Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team in Anqiu City, 4251510

Zhaoge Town Police Substation in Anqiu City, 4710011

Liu Jiang, former Party Secretary of Danshan Politics & Law Committee and current Party

Secretary of Guanzhang Town government, 86-136-06473168 (Cell phone, note different city code), 4252918 (Home)

Police Officer Gao, of the Zhaoge Town Police Substation, who had been using Ma Zhixin's motorbike illegally since year 2000

Wang Ziqing, head of the "610 Office" in Anqiu City

Song Yunqing, in his fifties, assistant director of Anqiu Public Security Bureau who is in charge of persecuting Falun Gong, 4266618 (Home)

Zhang Kouxiao, head of Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team in Anqiu Public Security Bureau, is mainly responsible for persecuting Falun Dafa practitioners. Phone numbers: 86-536-4228721 (Home),86-536-4368610 (Office)

Li Shenghua, male, around 30 years old, is a policeman on the Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team. His hometown is Dashiliu Village of Songguantong Town. Since July 20, 1999, he has been involved in persecuting Falun Dafa practitioners. 4264901 (Home)

Ge Jiang, a policeman on the Anti-[slanderous term omitted] Team. His hometown is Jiage Town of Anqiu City.
Jia Zaijun, mainly responsible for the persecution of Falun Dafa practitioners, 4266239 (Home)

Zhang Yuanting, police guard at the Anqiu Detention Center who often force-feeds Falun

Dafa practitioners, 4261032 (Home)

Ma Xiyan, 4261779 (Home)