(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Zhao Qingshan, 57, lived in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province and was the deputy director of the Harbin City Produce Company. Before beginning to practice Falun Gong in 1997, he had many diseases. Shortly after he started cultivating, his diseases disappeared.

When the persecution began in 1999, Mr. Zhao was forced to leave his home to avoid being arrested. Later he was arrested and detained at the Seventh Branch of the Harbin City Police Department. Having been tortured to the brink of death, Mr. Zhao was extremely weak. Only then did the police release him on bail, allowing him to seek medical treatment.

In April 2000, officers from the First Branch of Harbin City Police Department came to Mr. Zhao's home and arrested him, simply because he mailed a group appeal letter to Beijing's two congresses. He was released 24 hours later, but not until the police extorted two thousand yuan from him. In September 2000, the police arrested him for hosting a group Fa-study at his home. He was released 16 days later. This time the police extorted 3,500 yuan from Mr. Zhao.

On November 20, 2000, police officers arrested and detained Mr. Zhao after finding more than ten thousand copies of truth-clarification materials in his home. After 28 days he managed to escape from the detention center, and was then forced to become homeless.

On January 20, 2002, Mr. Zhao was arrested by the Shuangcheng City Police Department deputy director and 610 Office agents. A plainclothes officer began whipping him with a 6-foot bendable plastic tube that was about one inch in diameter. Mr. Zhao's forehead was bleeding profusely, and his clothes were stained with blood. A bystander asked, "Why are you beating people so brutally?" Officer Zhang Guofu answered, "We are from the Shuancheng City Police Department and he is a Falun Gong practitioner."

Mr. Zhao was interrogated and tortured, while cuffed to an iron chair (1) with his hands cuffed behind the back of the chair and his mouth taped. The officers kicked Mr. Zhao in the shins with their leather boots, to the point that his bones were exposed. He suffered excruciating pain during this terrible ordeal. They also kicked the handcuffs he was wearing, causing them to tear into his wrists. As a result, his hands became swollen like a loaf of bread and he was unable to move his fingers.

The police officers then used an electric baton to shock him until he passed out. After that, they poured cold water on him to "revive" him, then continued shocking him all over again. They told him, "If you die from the electric baton shocks, your death will count as nothing." They released him later; the date is unknown.

On May 15, 2003, officers from the Harbin City Police Department arrested Mr. Zhao. He was later interrogated by officers Zhao Guang and Fan Jiayuan (both male), who beat and tortured him until his face was deformed. They then took him to Dongli District Detention Center. The Dongli District Court held a secret trial where he was sentenced to 11 years in prison. He was transferred from Harin City Prison to Daqing City Prison on July 1, 2004.

In July 2004, his family visited him in Daqing City Prison and found him to be in a very weak state. In October 2004 they brought him some winter clothes, but the guards refused to let his family see him. During the 2005 Chinese New Year, his family came to visit him and found that he had become extremely weak. He was so weak that they could not hear his voice even when they were sitting very close to him.

On July 14, 2005, guard Pan Shaolin (male) notified Mr. Zhao's family that the Daqing City Fourth Hospital examined Mr. Zhao and found that he had symptoms of stroke, and high blood pressure. They let his family bail him out on medical parole, but refused to let them see the doctor's diagnosis.

On August 1, 2005, his family completed the final procedures required for his release. The Provincial Legal Justice Department approved Mr. Zhao' case and asked the prison to pick up the paperwork. Suddenly, procurator Zhou (male), prison liaison, ordered the prison administration to refuse Mr. Zhao's bail, claiming that Mr. Zhao had not yet served one third of his term.

Mr. Zhao's family was forced to go through another round of heartache and trouble to ensure his release. Finally, in November 2005, they were permitted to pick him up.

When he was first released, he was in critical condition and could not eat at all. His entire body was in pain and he was unable to take care of himself. After two years of being bedridden, he died on June 18, 2008.

Tang Yongfu (male), Daqing City Prison's former director, currently Daqing City CCP Political and Judiciary Committee deputy secretary: 86-459-5056688 (Office), 86-459-5105087 (Home), 86-133-03690588 (Cell)
Wang Yongxiang (male), current prison director: 86-459-5099876 (Office), 86-459-5964388 (Home), 86-139-04867068 (Cell)
Cheg Qingfa (male), CCP director: 86-459-5058588 (Office), 86-459-4686358 (Home), 86-133-29491288 (Cell)

(1) Iron chair - The iron chair is made of iron pipes. Victims are restrained on iron chairs with both arms and legs tied for long periods of time. See illustration on http://www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2002/1/9/17577.html .