(Clearwisdom.net) At nine o'clock in the morning on April 21, 2007, Xiangyang District Criminal Court in Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province, held a trial for Mr. Li Shaozhi. At around 8 o'clock, many policemen, police vehicles, and other cars surrounded the courthouse, and officers guarded the crossroads. The pedestrian lane in front of the courthouse was cordoned off. Inside the court, it was heavily guarded. Only two relatives of Mr Li and his two lawyers were allowed into the court.

Li Shaozhi had been tortured so badly that he was partially paralyzed. He could not walk by himself, and two big men had to hold him up. He had become mentally disordered from the intimidating interrogations and long-term torture and "admitted everything" according to the arrangements of the police.

To defend him, Mr. Li's lawyers provided a video recording of testimony by Liu Yang. In the testimony, Liu Yang disclosed that police officer Chen Wanyou had brought false charges against Li Shaozhi. Officer Chen Wanyou had threatened and pressured Liu Yang and forced him to give false testimony against Li Shaozhi. Liu Yang had cooperated against his own conscience so he made a recording to testify to the truth.

The court ignored this evidence and sentenced Mr. Li to five years in prison. He himself had requested that the court review the case, and he demanded an unconditional release.

Liu Yang's testimony proved that the case against Mr. Li was fabricated.

Eyewitness Liu Yang, male, 35 years old, was a Falun Gong practitioner. He was detained illegally at Xigemu Forced Labor Camp in Jiamusi City because he practiced Falun Gong. Half of his body became paralyzed as a result of his treatment while in detention. In 2006 police officer Chen Wanyou forced him to give false testimony against Li Shaozhi. He was threatened with further detention if he did not cooperate and was enticed by promises of help in solving his financial difficulties.

Stung by his conscience, Liu Yang disclosed the crimes committed by officer Chen Wanyou, and wanted to testify in court. Because of his intense fear of the cruelty of the police, he recorded this testimony as follows:

Questioner: I am a friend of Li Shaozhi's. He was detained at Jiamusi Detention Center. Do you have anything to do with his detention? I would like to collect some information. Can you tell us what you know?

Liu: On July 12, 2007, police officer Chen Wanyou wanted me to come from my home to talk with him. He wanted me to act as his spy to monitor other Falun Gong practitioners. He said, 'How about Wang Jun (a Falun Gong practitioner who was still detained)? He did not listen to me and does whatever he wants, so I arrested him. We will give you a thousand yuan per month.' Chen repeatedly threatened and enticed me, and forced me to report to them.

On August 20, 2007, I reported to them. The next day, he wanted me to ask Li Shaozhi out. They waited outside and arrested him.

Questioner: Do you know whether Li Shaozhi did any bad deeds?

Liu: He did not do anything. I was very afraid at that time. They forced me to do this. If I didn't do it, they would arrest me. There was written testimony. I signed it without reading it because of fear. I do not know what Li Shaozhi did. I have had no contact with him for many years. I knew him from a practice site many years ago. The police said Li Shaozhi did many bad things. That is false. I signed whatever the police handed to me.

Questioner: If you say that you were scared at that time, what are you are going to do if the police come after you when they find out what you've said today?

Liu: I am not afraid of the police any more. I am stung by my conscience everyday. Li Shaozhi is innocent. I ask Chen Wanyou and the judges, do not continue to do these things against your conscience and violate the existing Chinese laws and regulations.

April 27, 2007