Ms. Liu Renling was an employee at Muping Fabric Factory in Shandong Province and had a happy family. Since the Chinese Communist Party began to persecute Falun Gong practitioners, more than a dozen practitioners at Muping Fabric Factory have been dismissed or sent to forced labor camps. Among those persecuted were Ms. Liu Renling and her family.

In July 1999, she and other practitioners went to the Yantai City government to appeal for and clarify the truth about Falun Gong. However, they were detained by Lin Aiguo, Yu Xiang, Xue Chen, and other staff from the Security Department of the factory. There were eight practitioners altogether detained in the Security Department in the day and in the factory's clinic at night for eight days.

In October of the same year, with the excuse of stopping the practitioners from going to the government to appeal, the factory sent Security Department staff to arrest the eight practitioners again when they were at work, and detained them for about half a month. During both illegal arrests, the factory recorded the practitioners as missing work and docked their pay accordingly.

In October 2000, when Ms. Liu and other practitioners from the factory went to Beijing to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong, they were arrested and taken to Dayao Police Station in their hometown. Wang Ling, the director, and policeman Xu Changjiang beat them brutally. Then they tied Liu Renling, Zhou Lisha, Qin Shu'e, Qu Xiuli, and Yu Xiuhua to telephone poles on the street to humiliate them. The practitioners were detained in the detention center for a month. When they were released, they had 2,750 yuan extorted from them and were dismissed by the factory. Liu Renling had no job from then on.

On July 26, 2007, Lin Aiguo from the Security Department of the fabric factory and Zhang Shubo and He Zhongren from the Political Security Department of the Muping District broke into Ms. Liu Renling's home and arrested her. She was sentenced to two years of forced labor and taken to Wangcun Women's Forced Labor Camp in Zibo City. In order to try to force her to give up her belief in "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance," the labor camp subjected her to sleep deprivation for several days and nights in a row.

On the evening of September 1, 2004, policemen from the State Security Group of the Muping District and the Dayao Police station arrested six students at the Dayao High School, all of whom were children of practitioners from the fabric factory. Among them there was Wang Limei, daughter of Ms. Liu Renling. The police forced the children to write statements to renounce Falun Gong and made them leave their fingerprints on the statements. When the children tried to ask for help from the school principal, the principal didn't know what to do and said, "It is not wrong to teach people to be good by following 'Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance,' but the government doesn't allow it. I have no choice."

The following afternoon, the children's mothers--Ms. Liu Renling, Ms. Jiao Lixiang, and Ms. Sun Houyun--were also arrested at home. Ms. Liu had just been released from the forced labor camp a year before. Yang Yinghai, Zhu Jianguo, Liu Xinwei, Wang Lin, and Hu Fengrui from the State Security Group detained them at the Mupin Detention Center, and tried to force them to write statements renouncing Falun Gong. Ms. Liu and Ms. Jiao went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. The doctor at the detention center, Zhang Sheng, tried to force Ms. Liu to take some medication, but she refused. Zhang Sheng arranged eight or nine male inmates to hold her arms and legs, covered her nose with a towel, opened her mouth by prying her teeth apart, and poured medicine down her throat. On the eighth day of their hunger strike, Ms. Liu and Ms. Jiao were taken to the detention center's clinic to be force fed with food and medicine. This kind of force feeding has happened once every other day since then.

Wang Dongmei, a doctor at the detention center's clinic, was particularly cruel to the practitioners. On the twelfth day of Liu Renling's hunger strike, several male inmates were taken into her cell by Wang Dongmei to hold her head, arms, and legs, so that Wang Dongmei could inject her with unknown drugs. When Ms. Jiao was on the fifteenth day of her hunger strike, she started twitching. The detention center authorites extorted 2,000 yuan from each family to release the two women temporarily. About three weeks later, the State Security Group went to their homes to arrest them. They missed Liu Renling because she happened to be out, but Jiao Cuiguo was arrested and sentenced to three years of forced labor. Ms. Liu Renling was forced into a homeless situation to avoid further persecution.

On October 15, 2006, Ms. Liu was arrested by Chief Han Tao and police officers Song Xiaoni and Jiang Yelin from Binhai Road Police Station in Laishan, Yantai City. She was detained in Laiyang Detention Center. The police tortured her to try to make her give up her belief. According to a witness, she was hung up and beaten for three days and nights. On March 23, 2007, the Laishan Branch Court of Yantai City Court sentenced Liu Renling to nine years of imprisonment in an illegal trial. During the trial, Ms. Liu looked weak and skinny, said a witness. On April 23, 2007, she was admitted to Jinan Prison.

After Ms. Liu was sent to prison, her husband Tao Yuan had to leave the country to work. Their only daughter, Wang Limei, who was a teenage student, was left behind. She had to stop going to school and moved in with her grandmother in the countryside.

A happy family was thus torn apart by the CCP's persecution of Falun Gong.