(Clearwisdom.net) The following persecution facts are from the letters sent by practitioners who are illegally imprisoned in the Daqing City Hongweixing Prison. The practitioners have broken through several layers of the information blockade and their letters have gone through several hands. Due to the strict monitoring in the prison and the varying abilities of practitioners to express themselves in writing, the details and the extent of the persecution disclosed here do not quite reflect the reality. They are only the tip of the iceberg. This article does, however, show a glimpse of the darkness and horror in the Daqing Prison.

During the last three months, three Falun Gong practitioners have been tortured to death in the Daqing prison. We hope that international human rights organizations and others can lend a hand to stop the persecution.

1. Mr. Zhang Zhi, Worker at the Daqing Petroleum, Lost his Front Tooth

On June 18, 2003, the Daqing Detention Center illegally sent practitioner Mr. Zhang Zhi, a former worker at Daqing Petroleum, to the Daqing Prison Education Prison Ward for further persecution. On July 20, 2003, Guo Chuntang, director of the Education Reform Division, ordered Cui Zhengui, the captain of a sub-prison ward, to lead inmates from the culture and art team to persecute Zhang. In order to force Zhang to write the guarantee statement and give up the practice, they deprived Zhang of sleep and tortured him for five days. During the day, they dragged Zhang to an auditorium and played music, and asked people to take turns talking to him to prevent him from falling asleep. At night, they used the same method. If Zhang was tired, they poked his ribs with their fingers. If Zhang refused to obey, they punched him in the face. Inmates who participated in the persecution said, "The prison officials said that as long we did not cause any external injuries, we could punish him any way we wanted."

When Zhang was tortured, he told Wang Yingjie, the deputy director of the prison, about it. Wang did nothing to stop it, and the inmates became more arrogant.

At around 9 o'clock on May 12, 2005, Cui Zhengui led all members of the education reform division (except for Guo Chuntang) to force Zhang to wear a prison uniform. Zhang refused, and they ordered the inmates to strip his clothes off and beat him. Afterwards, they locked Zhang in a small cell. Zhang wore thin clothes and he sat and slept on a cold iron slab. The guards would not give Zhang any warm clothes as they were attempting to make him surrender.

Zhang's left ribs were injured from being kicked, and it caused pain for about six weeks. His right ribs were also kicked and he had hard time breathing. After being illegally imprisoned, Zhang went on a hunger strike. The prison staff force-fed him, and knocked out one of his front teeth in the process. The second day Zhang was locked in a small cell, Guo Chuntang went to the cell and ordered Zhang to stand up for a long time. A policeman in the cell tried to stop Guo. Zhang was released from the small cell after eight days, but the authorities would not allow him to leave the prison ward. Sometimes Zhang did not have water and if he protested, the answer he got was, "The prison officials asked us to do this."

Most of the time, the prison police would instigate the inmates to disturb practitioners. For example, not giving them hot water, reducing the amount of food or letting practitioners go hungry, and stealing practitioners' personal belongings.

2. Prison Staff Beat Mr. Liu Zhucai and Broke his Eardrum - Guards and Inmates Force Water Hose into Mr. Li Lizhuang's Rectum

Practitioners Mr. Liu Zhucai and Mr. Jin Sheng passed out Falun Gong fliers in Xingshan Township in Zhaozhou County on February 23, 2002, and police from the Xingshan County Police Station arrested them and sent them to the Zhaozhou County Detention Center. The Zhaozhou County Court sentenced Liu to five years of imprisonment and sent him to the Daqing Prison on August 7, 2002. Mr. Liu experienced many forms of torture for 3 weeks. He was in a "special training camp" which included such tortures as standing up for a long time and other inhumane abuse. The prison sent Liu to the education prison ward on August 27. Tang Huibo, director of psychiatric counseling, did not allow Liu to rest or sleep that night. The next day, Tang ordered inmates to "transform" Liu and they deprived him of rest and sleep for many days. Meanwhile, Guo Chuntang and Shi Huixue, director and deputy director of education reform, pressured Liu many times, until Liu was exhausted in both mind and body, and coerced Liu to write a "guarantee statement".

At 8:00 p.m. on July 24, 2003, Liu Zhucai wished good health in the bathroom to another practitioner Zhang Zhi, who had been deprived of sleep for five days at that time. Cui Zhangui, the officer on duty, beat Liu, breaking his left eardrum. The next day Liu told the director about this incident and was refused any examination or treatment. Now Liu still has many problems in his left ear and his hearing is getting worse. From May 2005 until now, the inmates have taken turns monitoring Liu, and Liu has not had any personal freedom.

Practitioner Mr. Li Lizhuang was sentenced to four years in prison because he persisted in continuing Falun Dafa practice. Li was tortured in the first prison ward of the Daqing Prison. Police and inmates deprived him of sleep, beat him, poured cold water on him, and inserted a water hose into his anus. They also broke Li's ribs.

Practitioner Mr. Jia Shenghui lived in Dongfeng New Village in Daqing City. On June 10, 2002, the Daqing City Vice Squad arrested him from his home, handcuffed him to an iron chair for a day, and sent him to the Daqing Detention Center. In September 2002, Jia was illegally sentenced to seven years in prison and was sent to the Daqing Prison's first prison ward, first division on December 4. Jia didn't see any document of indictment or verdict. Jia's wife was also a practitioner and was tortured until half of her body was paralyzed. Her daughter is taking care of her alone at home. Jia suffered tremendously in both body and mind.

Zhu Rui, captain of the third brigade, openly beat Falun Gong practitioners and ordered four inmates to watch practitioner Deng Qingshan around the clock. Deng was not allowed to leave his cell. Deng had to urinate into a jar and could only go to a toilet for his bowel movement. Deng stayed with four other inmates in a room and was totally isolated from the outside world. Deng was deprived of all personal freedom and rights.

3. Persecution Against Zhang Zidong and Zhang Xiufeng

Practitioner Zhang Zidong went to Beijing in October 1999 to appeal for Falun Gong. Zhang was thus fired from the Harbin Normal University and detained in the Harbin Nangang District Public Safety Bureau for 27 days. On November 9, 2000, Zhang was arrested for printing truth clarifying materials and held in the detention center of the Harbin Daowai District Public Safety Bureau. In July 2001, the Harbin Intermediate Court illegally sentenced Zhang to 12 years and put him in the Harbin Prison in March 2002. In July 2002, Geng Hao, a prison police officer, used despicable means to torture Zhang. Geng arranged for two inmates who were infected with tuberculosis to sleep beside Zhang, and Zhang subsequently suffered from pleurisy, peritonitis, and severe accumulation of fluids in his chest and abdomen. Zhang was hospitalized for 30 days in a Harbin Chest Hospital, where about 13 lbs.of fluid was removed from his chest and abdomen. Zhang had to spend nine months in the Harbin Prison Hospital. His attending physicians were Liu Zhuru, director of the Harbin Chest Hospital, and Huang Yingjun. Other doctors involved in treating Zhang were Liu Mingde, director of the Harbin Prison Hospital, Gao Shihong and Han Hongjun.

On July 1, 2004, Zhang Zidong was transferred to the Daqing Prison. Zhang did the Falun Gong exercises on March 31, 2005, and Gao Chuntang, director of the education reform division, ordered inmates to monitor him closely. The inmates on the night shift would not let Zhang sleep. Zhang went on a hunger strike to protest. On April 1, 2005, when Zhang's mother went to visit him, he exposed the evil conduct in the prison to his mother. That helped to stop the physical abuse. From April 1 to April 7, a feeding tube was inserted into his throat, and he was force-fed twice. Mr. Zhang was traumatized both mentally and physically.

On May 12, 2005, Zhang refused to wear the prison uniform. A prison guard ordered 6 inmates to strip off his clothes, slap him, and step on his eyeglasses. Zhang was then locked in a small isolated room for 8 days, and he was on a hunger strike for the entire duration. He was force fed twice during that time. From May 20 through July 25, Zhang was not allowed to leave the prison ward, go to the dining hall, buy food, or get water. Every day there were two inmates watching his every move.

Practitioner Mr. Zhang Xiufeng worked in a funeral home in Fangzheng County in Harbin before October 6, 2002. At 8:00 p.m. on October 6, 2002, Chou Yongsheng, a police officer from the Fangzheng County Public Safety Bureau National Security, along with other police officers, broke into Zhang's home and forcibly took him away. The police did not show any ID or follow accepted procedures. Six hours later, the police brutally beat Zhang, forced him to sit on a tiger bench, and beat his hands and wrists with a 1-inch-diameter plastic tube. The second joint of the left index finger was swollen. He could not hold any hard objects, and was partially disabled. Because Zhang was forced to sit on the tiger bench for a prolonged period of time, he has had trouble urinating in a standing position and having bowel movements when squatting.

On April 16, 2003, Zhang Xiufeng was sent to the new special training team. Zhang was forced to squat down motionless for a prolonged period of time. He could not withstand the pain, and he moved. An inmate (last name Ma) kicked him on the right side of his ribs and broke them. It took Zhang several months to heal. On May 29, 2003, Zhang was illegally sent to the Harbin Prison. Geng Hao, captain of the 9th brigade, tortured and threatened him, and forced him to write the three statements renouncing Falun Gong. Sun Guoxiong, captain of a middle team, blackmailed Zhang. Zhang was transferred to the Daqing prison on July 1, 2004. In the Daqing Prison, his freedom to write letters and personal freedoms were restricted. He could only move in a certain area and seldom saw the sun. Sometimes he was not given enough to eat. He could not protest, otherwise he would suffer from all kinds of retaliation.

4. Practitioner Mr. Sun Dianbin and Mr. Li Huifeng Brutally Tortured in the Harbin Prison

Practitioner Mr. Sun Dianbin firmly believed in Falun Dafa. The Jixi Court illegally sentenced him to ten years in prison. He was sent to the Harbin Prison on April 12, 2002. Zhang Jiushan, deputy captain of the special training team in the prison, forced Sun to write the three statements renouncing Falun Gong. Zhang put Sun in a small isolated cell and sent inmates Xu Ziqiang and Yu Junjie to torture Sun in the first cabinet of the small cell. The prison guards put 63 pounds of handcuffs and foot shackles on Sun and fastened them to a metal ring on the ground. Sun was forced to stay in a curled up position. Xu Ziqiang then started to violently beat and kick Sun on his head, chest, back, rib cage, and legs. Sun was injured everywhere and passed out. They tortured Sun for four days straight and caused him to lose control of his bodily functions. Inmate Xu Ziqiang said arrogantly, "Captain Zhang (Jiushan) sent me to "transform" you. If you don't "transform," then we'll beat you to death and cremate you. At most, I'll get three years." The inhumane torture almost caused Sun to suffer a mental collapse.

During an interrogation on March 18, 2004, Zhang Jiushan ordered janitor Guan Dejun and inmates Liu Yanpeng, Jin Zhidong, Li Donghui, and Liu Zhongli, to torture Sun for the unsatisfactory answers he gave. They ordered Sun to stay in a squatting position with his head against the wall until midnight. If Sun moved a little he was beaten. During the daytime, Sun was forced to stand the entire time without rest. This lasted for more than a week. Inmate Guan Dejun told Sun, "Captain Zhang wants me to teach you a good lession." Inmate Liu Zhongli said, "Captain Zhang said to beat you until you are on your last breath."

Sun was traumatized in both body and mind. In order to cover the crimes, Sun was transferred to a different place for further persecution.

Practitioner Mr. Li Huifeng lived in the Tiefeng District of Qiqihar City. On the night of Jan 22, 2001, Li was at the home of another practitioner. Members from the third middle team of the Qiqihar vice squad broke into the practitioner's home and beat and arrested both practitioners. Officers from the fifth middle team shocked Li's private parts and burned his skin with an electric baton. The police hung him up by his wrists and tortured him. Afterwards, Li could not lift his arms for six months. The next day, Li was sent to the Qiqihar Second Detention Center and illegally held there. On January 24, 2002, Li was sent to the Harbin Prison special training team. In July 2001, Li was unlawfully sentenced to 12 years imprisonment. Li was dissatisfied with the verdict and appealed. The court verdict of the second trial however, stated that Li accepted the verdict of the first trial and hence would not appeal.

In the special training team, captains Huang and Gong sent Li to a small isolated room to be tortured because Li refused to obey the verdict and admit the "crime," and he protested the persecution. The prison police ordered inmates to watch Li. At that time, the weather was cold and the police deliberately opened the windows to freeze Li. Every day Li was given a little corn porridge. After 39 days of persecution in the small cell, Li was on the verge of death and was let out. Fifteen days later Li was sent to the sixth prison ward. Officers Tang Xinmin and Zhu Wenchen tortured him, ordered inmates to watch him and restrict his freedom, denied his family visits, confiscated objects his family sent him, withheld his appeal materials, pressured him mentally, and forced him to do labor work.

Chen Shuhai, a Harbin Prison leader, and Li Fucai, a 610 Office agent, often forced practitioners to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong to brainwash them. They also forced practitioners to write collective reports on their thoughts and the three statements to renounce Falun Gong. In 2004, a policeman ordered inmates to beat practitioner Wang Dayuan to death. On July 1, 2004, in order to conceal the incident, the Harbin Prison transferred all the practitioners to Daqing Prison, Tailai Prison, and Mudanjiang Prison for further persecution. Li Huifeng was transferred to the Daqing Prison first prison ward first division. Currently, Li is still suffering from physical and mental abuse.

5. Appeal from Cheng Peiming's Family

From July 20, 1999, when the persecution began, to July 20, 2005, Cheng Peiming was held in six different detention centers and prisons. The following is a brief summary of the persecution Cheng suffered during the past six years.

A. Cheng Peiming was tortured in the Jixi City Jiguan District Public Safety Bureau. He was forced to sit for over 36 hours on a small, short iron stool, and they used a hard rod to forcefully press against and roll over his legs and ribs. They wrapped a plastic bag over his head. Cheng told them not to persecute the practitioners, but they said that they derived pleasure from practitioners' suffering.

B. At the Jixi Detention Center Zhang Yi (deputy director) led approximately six people to shock Cheng with electric batons in a small room for three days, and place heavy shackles on him (weighing approximately 53 lbs.) for twenty days. Officer Dong (last name) ordered inmates to strip Chang naked and threw a large cat to Cheng, causing the cat's claws to poke into Cheng's flesh. They electrically shocked Cheng seven times (the Minghui/Clearwisdom website has a detailed report).

C. Approximately six police officers from Jixi City, Hongxing Township brutally beat Cheng for two hours.

D. The Harbin Prison special training team is an even more evil place where Falun Gong practitioners are persecuted. They chained practitioners to metal rings attached to the ground and made them wear 80-pound iron shackles. Captains in the special training team, Huang Zhimin, Zhang Jiushan, and Gan Bo, ordered 4 inmates, Zhang Kejun, Zhang Xiaofeng, Ni Jie, and Zhang Yong, to torture Cheng Peiming, including pinching hard on his testicles, flicking his eyeballs, kicking him hard on the chest and back, and stuffing his mouth with a towel. The inmates said, "The government will back us up if we kill you." (the Minghui/Clearwisdom website has a detailed report).

E. In the Daqing Prison, Cheng Peiming was hung by his handcuffed wrists, suspended off the ground. Cheng ended up with severe injuries on his head and arms. He sustained an almost 1 inch cut on his head and 2 cuts on his arms both stretched 1.2 inches. Cheng was taken to the Daqing City Hospital on the night of November 16 due to profuse bleeding. The city hospital did an open surgery on his left ribcage. The incision was almost 12 inches long, with over 100 stitches. Forty-six of them were on the skin. Cheng stayed in the hospital for six days before he went back to Daqing Prison. He was then still locked in a small cell wearing handcuffs and shackles with a wood rod stuffed in his mouth. He was tortured for 10 days before they took out the stitches. Officer Dong Menghuan would not allow Cheng to take a shower for 3 months (the Minghui/Clearwisdom website has a detailed report).

F. On May 13, 2005, Captain Pan Shaolin ordered inmate Zhen Yingjie to choke Cheng Peiming to death in the water supply room and promised Zhen 5000 yuan afterwards. Zhen ordered Chang Hongbao to kill Cheng but Chang reported this to the prison authorities. The prison authorities covered up for Zhen and even tried to harm Chang. They put the word "prisoner" on the new clothes Cheng's family bought him. Cheng argued with Pan and Pan said, "You have not been choked to death, have you?"

The above statements are all true. Practitioners' lives are not guaranteed in the Daqing Prison. We hope the international human rights institutions can lend their support and help.

Cheng Peiming's family members: Cheng Peipei and Cheng Jinzhi