Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liu Zhimei was enrolled in the Chemical Engineering Department of Tsinghua University in 1997. In 2001, she was illegally sentenced to 12 years in prison and has since suffered a mental collapse due to the relentless persecution. She is now being held in the Women's Prison of Shandong Province.

An employee of Tsinghua Unisplendour Corporation, Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wu Xiangwan, was illegally sentenced to 8 years in prison in May 2004. Currently, he is being persecuted in a prison in Shandong Province.

More details of their cases follow:

Tsinghua University student, Liu Zhimei, suffers a mental collapse due to persecution.

Ms. Liu Zhimei was a top-ranked student from the Chemical Engineering Department of Tsinghua University. She came from a farm village of Laiyang City, Shandong Province. After July 1999, like many other Falun Gong practitioners, she was asked to leave the school temporarily. She was requested to write a "guarantee letter" and articles to denounce Falun Gong; otherwise, she would be expelled from the university. However, Ms. Liu rejected the school's unreasonable requests as well as those from her family, and firmly persisted in her belief. Because of her persistence in practicing Falun Gong, Ms. Liu Zhimei was expelled by Tsinghua University in March 2001.

In order to support herself, Liu Zhimei worked part-time at a video game store in her hometown. In the beginning of 2000, she went back to Beijing. On October 26, 2000, Ms. Liu was arrested at Tiananmen Square and then illegally jailed in the Yanqing Detention Center in a suburb of Beijing. There were 40 people on the bus traveling to the detention center. The policemen demanded that everyone pay 30 yuan for a "transportation fee." Liu Zhimei rejected their request, and was seriously beaten by the police. After going on a hunger strike for 7 days in protest, she was released from the detention center.

In May 2001, Liu Zhimei was abducted from her rental house in the Haidian District. After being held in several detention centers, she was finally incarcerated in the detention center of the 7th Station of the Beijing Police Department, where she suffered from many brutal tortures. Her head was injured and deformed, her chest was seriously injured, and many of her fingernails were torn off. In November 2002, Ms. Liu was unlawfully sentenced to 12 years in prison by the Haidian District Court , and was transferred to the Women's Prison of Shandong Province (in Jinan City) for further persecution. She rejected "transformation" for a long time. Finally, perpetrators deceived her by using the enticement of allowing her back in school. Under the pressure and the lies, Liu Zhimei unwillingly signed the guarantee statement. After Tsinghua University sent some people to "examine" Liu Zhimei, she was rejected by the university and not allowed to return to school. At that moment, Liu Zhimei suffered a mental collapse. She is now jailed in the Women's Prison of Shandong Province.

Liu Zhimei's mother lived in a farm village. When she heard that her daughter was sentenced to 12 years, she also became mentally unstable. Because of the family's poor financial situation, they have not been able to visit Liu Zhimei even once. We hope that all the Falun Gong practitioners can support Liu Zhimei with righteous thoughts and that all the compassionate people from around the world will help us rescue her.

Employee of Tsinghua Unisplendour Corporation, Mr. Wu Xiangwan, was illegally sentenced to 8 years

Mr. Wu Xiangwan, 37 years old, graduated from a college in Nanjing. He originally came from Wujiaguo Village, Sishili Town, Yishui County, Linyi City, Shandong Province. When Tsinghua University started the Unisplendour construction project in 1996, several young people were hired from different areas of China. Wu Xiangwan was one of them. Later on, all of them started to practice Falun Gong. This story was well known at that time. In the beginning of 2001, the entire project was dismissed, and Wu Xiangwan found another job at the Zhaowei Xiaotong Company.

On April 25, 2001, Wu Xiangwan held a banner to appeal for Falun Gong in Tiananmen Square. As a result, he was unlawfully sentenced to one and a half years in a labor camp. After being imprisoned and tortured for two months in Beijing Labor Camp Dispatch Department (7th Section), he was sent to Tuanhe Labor Camp for further persecution. In the 5th Group of Tuanhe Labor Camp, because of his steadfast belief in Falun Gong, Wu Xianwan was isolated in a special training team for additional torture. Perpetrator Liu Jinbiao shocked him with a 150-kilovolt electric baton. Several electric shocks made him physically and mentally exhausted. He could not even hold a bowl because of the tremors from the shocks.

After the labor camp sentence was up, Mr. Wu's parents picked him up on October 25, 2002. After a short recovery, he went to Beijing to find a job and appealed for Falun Gong in November 2002. He lived with a Tsinghua University student and a Falun Gong practitioner, Zhang Lianjun, at 45 Puji Court in Tsinghua University. Since Zhang Lianjun's cell phone was tapped, perpetrators from Haidian District National Security Bureau broke into their room and abducted them on January 23, 2003.

After imprisoning them for more than a year in a detention center, Wu Xiangwan was tried in court in May 2004. Although Mr. Wu rationally defended himself in court, he was still sentenced to 8 years in prison for appealing for Falun Gong at the Old Summer Palace in the beginning of 2001. Several days later, Zhang Lainjun, who had been on hunger strike for one year, was also sent to court and sentenced to 8 years in prison. Zhang Lianjun has since been tortured to a vegetative state and currently is detained in Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia.

After Wu Xiangwan was sentenced to 8 years in prison, he was sent to the "learning class" of Shandong Province Prison, where to this day he is suffering brainwashing and torture. His wife's last name is Wang. She is also a Falun Gong practitioner from the Tsinghua University practice group. She was unlawfully sentenced to 3 years in a labor camp. Mr. Wu was taken away before his wife was released. Currently, Ms. Wang works part-time, but her whereabouts are unknown.