The Journey of Falun Dafa: A Bright but Arduous Path
(Clearwisdom.net) Note: we are still in the process of collecting, sorting and perfecting the materials that reflect the journey of Falun Dafa. Readers, please make sure to download the most recent material when citing facts from our website. Many events have taken place since the early preparation stage of Falun Dafa's public introduction. Under the current historic circumstances, the editors have collected and compiled the following data to help people search for information about Dafa. We are now publishing this current edition and welcome additional feedback from Dafa practitioners around the world to further complete and correct the chronicle.
- May 13, 1992, Mr. Li Hongzhi first introduced Falun Gong to the public in Changchun City, Jilin Province.
- September 1992, Falun Gong was officially accepted as a direct branch of the China Qigong Research Association, and received a nationwide permit to teach Falun Dafa in China.
- July 30, 1993, under the approval of the Chinese Qigong Research Association, the Chinese Falun Gong Research Association was established.
- August 31, 1993, The Valor Foundation at the Public Security Ministry in China wrote a thank-you letter to the Chinese Qigong Scientific Research Institute, expressing its heartfelt gratitude towards Mr. Li Hongzhi, who voluntarily treated and healed the awarded representatives for no charge at the Third National Valor Awards.
- September 21, 1993, The People's Public Security Daily published by the Public Security Ministry in China, published a news report entitled, "Falun Gong Healed Valor Award Winners," reporting that people who had received the Valor Award but were afflicted with illnesses or injuries "have seen their health greatly improved after [Mr. Li Hongzhi's] treatment."
- December 11 - 20, 1993, Mr. Li Hongzhi and some of his students attended the 1993 Oriental Health Expo in Beijing. The expo was held at the Sanyuanqiao International Exhibition Center in Beijing. Mr. Li Hongzhi attended the expo as a member of the Expo Organizing Committee and gave Fa lectures on December 15, 17 and 20. At the end of the expo, Mr. Li was awarded the top prize of the expo, "Greatest Contributor to the Progress Being Made in Cutting Edge Science." He also received the "Special Gold Prize" of the expo and was named the "Most Popular Qigong Master."
- December 27, 1993, Mr. Li Hongzhi was awarded an Honors Proclamation by the Valor Foundation at the Public Security Ministry in China.
- May 14 - 15, 1994, Mr. Li Hongzhi gave Fa lectures and taught the Falun Gong exercises at the auditorium of the Policemen's College in Beijing. Sponsoring Organization: The Chinese Valor Foundation
- Beginning in April 1996, the members of the former Chinese Falun Gong Research Association filed applications to the Ethnic Group Affairs Committee at the China National People's Congress, China Buddhism Association, and the United Front Bureau of the Chinese Central Government to establish a non-religious Falun Gong Academic Research Association. The United Front Bureau of the Chinese Central Government issued an official document stating that the application was denied and the agency didn't support the establishment of the Falun Gong association. The bureau also ordered the management of the six original applicants to relay the message in person to the applicants.
- June 17, 1996, Guangming Daily, one of Chinese Communist government's official newspapers, published an editorial article entitled, "A Loud and Long Alarm Must Be Sounded Against Pseudo-Science," which claimed that Falun Gong promoted superstition, and was "Pseudo-Science." This is the first time the Jiang regime attacked Falun Gong in public.
- July 24, 1996, The Chinese News Publishing Bureau, which is under the Propaganda Bureau of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist government, issued an internal order to all cities and provinces, prohibiting the publishing of Zhuan Falun and China Falun Gong, and other Falun Gong books due to their nature of "promoting superstition."
- In the beginning of 1997, The Chinese Public Security Ministry carried out an investigation throughout China trying to collect criminal evidence that Falun Gong was "an evil cult." But the police at all levels in China came back with the same report: "Haven't found any problem," so the investigation was stopped.
- November and December of 1997: Members of the former Falun Gong Research Association filed a report to the Chinese Ministry of Civil Administration and the Chinese Public Security Ministry. The report indicated that they had agreed to abide by the decision made by the government and would not continue to pursue their application to form a formal Falun Dafa Association.
- May 1998: The Chinese National General Athletic Bureau conducted an overall investigation of Falun Gong. In September 1998, a group of medical experts did a statistical sampling survey of the 12,553 Falun Gong practitioners in Guangdong Province. The results showed that the healing effect of practicing Falun Gong was as high as 97.9%.
- May 1998: Beijing TV's "Fast Forward" program aired an interview with He Zuoxiu, a member of the Chinese Academy of Science, who attacked Falun Gong as being superstitious in the same segment in which a reporter from the station interviewed practitioners at an exercise site in Beijing's Yu Yuantan Park and had practitioners describe the benefits of Falun Gong. After the show aired, hundreds of Falun Gong practitioners from Beijing and Hebei province either wrote letters or directly visited the TV station to point out that He Zuoxiu's attack on Falun Gong was inaccurate.
- June 2, 1998: After performing an internal investigation, Beijing TV acknowledged that its previous negative program on Falun Gong was the biggest mistake that the station had ever made since its establishment. Beijing TV later broadcast another TV program with a Falun Gong practitioner's interview in order to correct the mistake. The producer of the previous program was dismissed.
- June 20 - 22, 1998: After Qilu Evening News published an article slandering Falun Dafa, over 1,000 Falun Gong practitioners in Jinan went to the newspaper to clarify the truth about Falun Gong.
- July 21, 1998: The 1st Bureau of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security issued Document  No. 555, "Notice of the Investigation of Falun Gong," which claimed that Falun Gong was an "evil cult." The Ministry of Public Security carried out a series of investigations on Falun Gong that were known as "finding [Falun Gong] guilty first and then collecting evidence." These actions included, but were not limited to, tapping Falun Gong assistants' phones, tailing Falun Gong assistants, closing down Falun Gong practice sites, forcefully dispersing the practitioners during group exercise practice, ransacking practitioners' houses, confiscating their personal property, and other tactics.
- On October 20, 1998, The Chinese National Sports Bureau sent a team to Changchun and Harbin to investigate Falun Gong. After the investigation, the leader of the team confirmed Falun Gong's effects on good health and its positive role in improving social stability and spiritual civilization.
- March 4, 1999: the main Falun Dafa Assistant Center in Harbin, Heilongjiang Province was named "An Organization Outstanding for Returning Lost Items."
- At the end of March, 1999, the "falundafa.org" website established by North American Falun Dafa volunteer practitioners, where Falun Dafa Books are currently available in more than 30 languages.
- April 11, 1999: He Zuoxiu published an article entitled "Teenagers Should Not Practice Qigong" in a Teenager Expo, quoting cases that had been included in a previously broadcast Beijing TV program that had already been found to be false.
- April 23 - 24, 1999: The Tianjin Public Security Bureau sent in 300 S.W.A.T. team members, who used violence and excessive force to disperse Falun Gong practitioners who had gone to the Tianjin Teacher's College to clarify the truth about Falun Gong. The police arrested 45 practitioners. Some practitioners were injured by the police.
- April 25, 1999, Over ten thousand Dafa practitioners from Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, and other areas went to the National Appeal Bureau near Zhongnanhai, the Chinese leadership compound. Zhu Rongji, the Premier at the time, met with Falun Gong representatives. The Falun Gong representatives made three requests: 1) release the detained practitioners in Tianjin; 2) provide Falun Gong practitioners with an environment to practice Falun Gong freely; 3) allow the publishing of Falun Gong books. The detained Tianjin practitioners were released on the same day. All the Falun Gong practitioners who had gone to the National Appeal Bureau left around 9 PM without any incident.
- On the evening of April 25, 1999, Jiang Zemin, the then General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, wrote a letter to the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, claiming, "If the Chinese Communist Party cannot defeat Falun Gong, it will be the biggest joke on earth." This letter was passed on internally from the highest level of the Chinese Communist government all the way to the bottom units.
- April 27, 1999: Over 10,000 Falun Gong practitioners in Dalian City gathered at the practice site at the Huabei Road in Dalian and held a group practice as a peaceful way to support fellow Falun Gong practitioners' appeal to the National Appeal Bureau in Beijing on April 25, 1999.
- June 6, 1999: The Jiang regime interrogated over 100 Falun Dafa practitioners who had attended the group appeal at the National Appeal Bureau on April 25, 1999.
- June 7, 1999: Jiang Zemin gave a speech at the conference of the Political Committee of the Chinese Communist Party Central Committee claiming "The issue of Falun Gong has deep social and complex international implications" and "is the most serious political conflict since 1989's Student Movement at Tiananmen Square." This speech was secretly transmitted within the Chinese Communist Party on June 13, 1999.
- June 10, 1999: "The 610 Office" was established to plan and execute a large-scale oppression against Falun Gong. After the persecution was launched, "the "610 Office"" became a permanent organization at the ministerial level in the Chinese Communist government. There are over ten thousand local "610 Offices" at all levels all over China, which employ nearly one million people to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. These local ""610 Office"s" are heavily funded, and their authority overrides those of ordinary government agencies such as the public security offices, prosecutor's offices and people's courts. The local ""610 Office"s" only report to the local Chinese Communist Party Committee, and answer directly to their superior "610 Office." The duties of all ""610 Office"s" are to "instruct and coordinate public security, prosecuting, law, judicature, investigation, and security organizations to investigate, arrest and try Falun Gong practitioners in court."
- June 14, 1999: The head of the Chinese Communist Party Central Affair's Office and the National Appeal Bureau issues statements that said people had the right to believe or not to believe in a Qigong practice, and said it was a false rumor that the government was about to oppress Falun Gong.
- June 18, 1999: In order to resist the covert persecution and safeguard the basic right to practice, over one thousand Falun Gong practitioners left Benxi City, Liaoning Province, for Beijing to clarify the truth about Falun Gong to the National Appeals Bureau. The Benxi police set up layers and layers of roadblocks to stop them from entering Beijing. As a result of the blockade, the No. 28 train to Beijing was stuck in Shenyang for over an hour. The police conducted an extremely thorough search, but more than 500 Falun Gong practitioners managed to break through the blockade and arrive in Beijing on June 19. The 500 Falun Gong practitioners went to the National Appeals Bureau. Their action shocked the authorities in the Chinese Central Government. This incident was later called "The 6.19 Incident."
- June 18, 1999: "Clearwisdom.net" website (both in Chinese and English) was established. It was up and running one week later on June 25, 1999. Run by volunteer North American Falun Dafa practitioners, the website was called "Falun Dafa in North America, Clearwisdom.net." The name was changed to "Falun Dafa Clearwisdom.net" at the end of 2000.
- July 14, 1999: Practitioners from Weifang made a peaceful appeal at Weifang's Appeal Bureau. On the morning of July 15, 1999, the municipal government in Weifang gave an official reply with the official seal, which stated that the Weifang government would refrain from publicly attacking Falun Gong in the newspaper, allow people to practice Falun Gong in public, allow Falun Gong practitioners to circulate Falun Gong-related information amongst themselves, and would not attack or retaliate against those practitioners who went to appeal.
- May 1992 - July 1999: According to the Public Security Ministry in China's internal survey, the total number of Falun Gong practitioners had increased from 7,000 to 100,000,000.
- July 19, 1999: At a secret high-level government meeting, Jiang Zemin made an official announcement that he wanted to comprehensively eradicate Falun Gong.
- July 20, 1999: The Chinese Communist Party started to arrest Falun Gong practitioners, ransack their homes, and confiscate their property nationwide, starting with Falun Gong volunteer assistants. On the same day, tens of thousands Falun Gong practitioners who had heard the news went to the National Appeals Bureau to appeal for Falun Gong, but were arrested and temporary detained in Beijing's Fengtai Stadium, Shijingshan Stadium, and some other stadiums in the area.
- July 22, 1999: The persecution of Falun Gong officially began. The Chinese Communist Party newspaper, People's Daily published a long article entitled, "The Truth about Li Hongzhi" that slandered the founder of Falun Gong. The Ministry of Civil Administration made an official announcement to ban the Falun Dafa Research Association. The Ministry of Public Security announced "Six Prohibitions," including "prohibiting anyone, in any location to hang or post Falun Dafa banners, emblems, pictures and other types of Falun Gong signs; prohibiting anyone from distributing or promoting Falun Gong books, video and audio materials and other types of materials; prohibiting people from gathering to practice Falun Gong, promote Falun Gong, or engage in any other type of Falun Gong activities on any occasion; prohibiting the use of meditation, appeal, and other methods to protect or promote Falun Gong in gatherings, marches, or demonstrations; prohibiting anyone from making up or distorting facts, deliberately spreading rumors, or using other methods to stir up and damage the social order; prohibiting anyone from organizing, connecting with, or leading activities that are against the government's decisions." The Chinese Communist Party's Central Committee officially announced that, "The Communist Party members are forbidden to practice Falun Dafa." The Chinese Police nationwide continued to arrest Falun Gong practitioners, or abduct Falun Gong practitioners to local police stations, where they were made to watch brainwashing TV programs. The police also continued to ransack Falun Gong practitioners' homes, confiscate their Falun Gong books, burn Falun Gong books, videotapes, audio materials, etc. In the meantime, millions of Falun Gong practitioners began to walk towards Beijing and local government offices to peacefully appeal for Falun Gong. They ended up being either dispersed or arrested.
- July 22, 1999: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "A Statement", calling on governments all over the world, international organizations, and kind hearted people to help resolve the crisis that Falun Gong practitioners were experiencing. On the same day, Mr. Li Hongzhi was interviewed by the BBC.
- July 24, 1999: Falun Gong practitioners held a press conference in Washington, DC near the Chinese Embassy, with many Chinese and Western reporters attending. Meanwhile, over 1,000 Falun Gong practitioners gathered at the National Mall between the National Gallery of Art and the Space Museum, and were interviewed by Chinese and English media.
- July 25, 1999: Mr. Li Hongzhi was interviewed in New York by the French International Radio Broadcasting Corporation.
- July 27, 1999: Mr. Li Hongzhi sent a signed letter to the Chinese Embassy in the United States and asked the Embassy to forward the letter to the Jiang regime. The letter urged the Chinese government to immediately stop the persecution of Falun Gong and resolve the issue with peaceful talks.
- July 27, 1999: The U.S. State Department made a statement, urging the Jiang regime to restrain its attitude toward Falun Gong.
- July 27 - August 1, 1999: More than 200 Falun Gong practitioners from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut gathered at the public square in front of the United Nation's building in New York City, calling for the immediate end of the persecution against Falun Gong.
- July 28, 1999: Under the directions of Jiang Zemin and Luo Gan, the Chinese Public Security Bureau issued an international arrest warrant for Mr. Li Hongzhi, accusing him of usurping the Chinese Communist regime. INTERPOL refused to cooperate with the Chinese government. More than 5,000 Falun Gong practitioners gathered in front of the Dalian City Government, calling for an end of the persecution against Falun Gong.
- July 29, 1999: Falun Gong practitioners in the U.S. gathered in Washington, DC to hold a press conference and call on the Jiang regime to end the persecution of Falun Gong.
- July 29 - August 6, 1999: Falun Gong practitioners in Vancouver, Canada gathered in front of the Vancouver Art Museum for nine consecutive days, calling for the world to learn the truth about Falun Gong. More than ten news media organizations came to interview practitioners and provided positive coverage for the event.
- July 31, 1999: Mr. Li Hongzhi published a statement expressing his grave regret that the Chinese Government had issued an arrest warrant for him through the International Operative Organization.
- July 31, August 7 - 8, 1999: Falun Gong practitioners in France gathered at the Human Rights Square across from the Eiffel Tower, calling on the world to support and help Falun Gong. French Television, French Radio, International Radio Broadcast and RFA came to cover the story.
- August 4, 1999: The United Citizens' Association of the United Nations condemned the Jiang regime's violations of human rights and fundamental freedom.
- August 6, 1999: 25 Congressmen in the United States co-signed a letter to Jiang Zemin, demanding that he stop persecuting Falun Gong.
- August 7, 1999: The first Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference using English as the primary language was held in New Hampshire, United States. Approximately 60 Falun Gong practitioners attended the conference.
- August 8, 1999: 138 Falun Gong practitioners practiced the exercises together at Wanlu Park in Haiko City, Hainan Province. Under siege by the Chinese police, they insisted on finishing their practice. This was later known as the "August 8th Incident in Haiko."
- August 8, 1999: The Mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey, USA became the first mayor in the world to proclaim "Mr. Li Hongzhi Day" since Jiang Zemin started to persecute Falun Gong on July 20, 1999.
- August 16, 1999: Chen Ying, a 17-year-old female student at Shuren High School, Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province, was arrested by the police on her way to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. Due to pressure from the police's verbal abuse, battering and threats, Chen Ying was forced to jump out of the train and died. This news and a photo of Chen Ying and her mother were published on Minghui.org on October 25, 1999. "Chen Ying became the first name on Minghui.org's list of Falun Gong practitioners who died as a result of the persecution.
- October 9, 1999: The first Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference using English as the primary language in the Metropolitan New York to Philadelphia area was held at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. Over 100 Falun Gong practitioners attended the conference.
- October 16, 1999, Minghui.org (Chinese version of Clearwisdom.net) published the first case in which a perfectly sane Falun Gong practitioner was thrown into a psychiatric institution as a form of persecution. Cheng Zhong, a Falun Gong practitioner from Jiangsu Province, was abducted to the Third People's Hospital (a psychiatric hospital) in Wujin City, where he was subjected to injection of neurotoxic drugs and electric shock.
- October 25, 1999: Chinese Central Television's News Network program broadcast a French reporter's interview with Jiang Zemin, who claimed that, "Falun Gong is an evil cult." After the interview was broadcast on TV, hundreds of Falun Gong practitioners went to Tiananmen Square and the People's Congress Hall to appeal for Falun Gong and were arrested by Chinese police.
- October 26, 1999: All major Chinese government media published Jiang Zemin's speech on October 25, 1999 under the title of "Falun Gong is an Evil Cult." It is regarded as the official announcement of the Jiang regime against Falun Gong. Nearly 1,000 Falun Gong practitioners went to Tiananmen Square at the National Appeal's Bureau and were arrested.
- October 27, 1999: People's Daily published the article "Falun Gong Is an Evil Cult" by a "special" commentator. About 600 Falun Gong practitioners were arrested when they displayed banners which said "Falun Dafa is good" on Tiananmen Square. Seventeen Falun Gong practitioners went up to the front gate of Tiananmen Square to hang Falun Gong banners. Fifteen of them were Falun Gong practitioners from Beijing. They were sentenced to four months to two years in prison. The other two practitioners were sent to the prisons in the cities of their residence.
- October 28, 1999: About 30 Falun Gong practitioners held a secret press conference in Beijing where they identified themselves with their real names. They were photographed and interviewed by Western media outlets such as the AP, Reuters, RFA, and The New York Times. On the same day AP and Reuters published news articles about the interview. The New York Times, South China Morning News and several European newspapers published the interviews with large photos on the following day. Many of the Falun Gong practitioners who appeared at the secret press conference were later arrested. Ms. Ding Yan and Mr. Cai Mintao were tortured to death in year 2000. Ms. Gu Lina was sentenced to four years in prison. Mr. Jiang Chaohui and Ms. Zhang Ke were sentenced to three years in prison. Ms. Liu Dongmei was sentenced to three years in a forced labor camp. Ms. Lei Xiaoting was sentenced to two years in prison. The whereabouts of the other practitioners who attended the news conference is currently unknown.
- October 30, 1999: The Standing Committee of the Chinese People's Congress passed legislation, "Banning Evil Cults, as well as Preventing and Punishing the Activities of Evil Cults." All the major media outlets in China published the Supreme Court and the Supreme People's Legislative Court's "An Explanation on How to Prosecute Criminal Activities of the Evil Cults with Existing Law." Although Falun Gong was not mentioned in the explanation, the general public was given the impression that the explanation would be used as a basis to oppress Falun Gong.
- November 1, 1999: The legislative organizations in China made an announcement through the media that four members of the former Falun Dafa Research Association, including Li Chang, Wang Zhiwen, Ji Liewu, and Yao Jie, who had been in detention for several months were formally arrested.
- November 6 - 7, 1999: The first Australian Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference using English as the primary language was held in the Gold Coast. More than 250 Falun Gong practitioners from Australia, Guangzhou (China), Hong Kong, Canada, and New Zealand attended.
- November 13, 1999: Jiang and his followers for the first time publicly sentenced Falun Gong practitioners to prison. Four Falun Gong practitioners from Hainan Province were given two to twelve years in prison during trials at Haikou City Mid-level People's Court. Mr. Song Yuesheng was sentenced 12 years prison, Mr. Cheng Yuan 7 years, Mr. Jiang Shilong 3 years, Ms. Liang Yulin 2 years, and hundreds of Falun Gong practitioners were sentenced to three years in forced labor camps. The AP reported this trial on the same day.
The Haikou City Mid-level People's Court Judge Chen Yuanchao (male, 52 years old) took the initiative to be the judge for this case. Because he fabricated "criminal offences" to be used in sentencing Falun Dafa practitioners, Jiang and his regime awarded him second level National Merit Award, first level National Merit Award, and the title of "Model Judge."
Four years later, according to a Hainan Daily report on August 13, 2003, Chen Yuanchao was hospitalized in April 2002, with a severe case of lung cancer. He was in extreme pain, lost the chance to have an operation, and died eventually on September 2, 2003. This can be considered evidence of the heavenly law: "Good will be rewarded with good, and evil will meet with retribution".
- November 18 - 19, 1999: The United States House and Senate passed Resolutions 217 and 218, respectively, urging the Chinese government to end the persecution of Falun Gong.
- December 3, 1999: Falun Gong practitioners learned that the Mid-Level People's Court in Beijing would try Li Chang, Wang Zhiwen, Ji Liewu, Yao Jie in court. Thousands of Falun Gong practitioners went to the courthouse asking to be allowed to listen to the trial proceedings and were arrested.
- December 6, 1999: 52 Falun Gong practitioners in Fangshan District, Beijing were thrown into to the Zhoukoudian Psychiatric Institution in Beijing.
- December 26, 1999: While western society and media were all concentrating on Christmas holiday activities, the First Mid-Level People's Court declared the members of the former Falun Dafa Research Association, including Li Chang, Wang Zhiwen, Ji Liewu, and Yao Jie, guilty of "Obstructing Justice with an Evil Cult Practice" and sentenced them to 18, 16, 12 and 7 years in prison respectively. On the same day, thousands of Falun Gong practitioners went to the courthouse asking to be allowed to listen to the trial proceedings and were arrested.
- January 5, 2000: AFP reported that the Chinese intelligence network overseas had collected a blacklist of more than 1,000 overseas Falun Gong practitioners.
- January 19, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published his photo for the first time through Minghui.org. The annotation read: "Master Li quietly watching students and the world's people from amidst the mountains after leaving New York following July 20th, 1999." Mr. Li Hongzhi also, for the first time, publicly published an important message to disciples after the persecution comprehensively began on July 20, 1999. This marked the beginning of all New Articles/Lectures being published on Minghui.org during this special time period. This photo was later included in Essentials for Further Advancement II, and the annotation was changed to, "Master Li quietly watching the world from amidst the mountains after leaving New York following July 20th, 1999."
- March 23, 2000: Amnesty International in Hong Kong strongly condemned China's oppression of spiritual movements in China, including Falun Gong.
- April 25, 2000: Minghui.org published the translation of The Wall Street Journal: "Practicing Falun Gong Was a Right, Ms. Chen Said, up to Her Last Day." The original article was published on April 20, 2000 in The Wall Street Journal by Ian Johnson, a Staff Reporter. Both AP and Reuters reported that Ian Johnson won the Pulitzer Prize for his reporting on Falun Gong cases.
- On February 17 2000, 59 year old Falun Dafa practitioner, Ms. Chen Zixiu, of Xujiaxiaozhuang, Beiguan, Weicheng District, Weifang City, Shandong Province was arrested to the temporary "Falun Gong Transformation/Detention Center" -- Chengguan Neighborhood Administration Branch, established by Weicheng District Government. Police tortured her in an attempt to make her give up her practice.
- On the morning of February 21st 2000 Ms. Chen Zixiu was beaten to death by police at the Falun Gong Transformation/Detention Center". Her body was sent to the City Hospital by the Chengguan Neighborhood Administration.
- February 29, 2000 Ms. Chen Zixiu's case was exposed on Minghui.org and The Wall Street Journal. This article cause widespread concern over her death in the international community.
- On April 16, 2001, Ian Johnson won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting. The Wall Street Journal's managing editor, Paul E. Steiger, commented that Johnson's reports were "a tremendous example of courage and determination, to get a story in the face of strong police force's pressures against the reporting, combined with very sensitive and powerful writing." AP
- May 2000: Falun Gong practitioners launched a new web site, XinSheng.net, previously named Buhuo.net.
- May 22, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published his first poem since the persecution began, "The Knowing Heart," written on October 12, 1999, which moved practitioners around the world.
- June 15, 2000: Clearwisdom.net published the Editorial Article "A Second Authentic New Article of Master Li Since July 22, 1999 Will Be Published in a Few Days" to discuss the fabricated articles that were circulating at that time. This was the first time the publishing of a new article was announced in advance. The website also posted Mr. Li Hongzhi's teaching, "practitioners must pay attention to the attitude of Minghui Net on all important matters." The original words are, "It is not that Minghui Net does not make mistakes, however, on important matters, practitioners must pay attention to the attitude of Minghui Net. The purpose of posting my photo and the article 'The Knowing Heart' on Minghui Net was to build a trustworthy website for practitioners."
- June 16, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "Towards Consummation" on Chinese Minghui.org, emphasizing that cultivators should let go of their "fundamental attachments."
- June 26, 2000: The first solemn declaration that "all signed statements written under the extreme pressure of persecution agreeing to give up cultivation of Falun Gong are null and void" is published on Minghui.org.
- June 29, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "In Reference to a Prophecy" on Minghui.org.
- July 2, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "Using at Will" on Minghui.org.
- July 5, 2000: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "Drive Out Interference" on Minghui.org.
- July 2000: Adrienne Clarkson, the Governor General of Canada, wrote a letter in support of Falun Dafa Week.
- July 14, 2000: Falun Dafa Bulletin Board published the article "On Important Matters, Practitioners Must Pay Attention to the Attitude of Minghui Net," which called for all Falun Dafa practitioners to immediately understand and largely spread the materials on Minghui Net.
- July 18, 2000: Minghui Editors published the article "Our Compassionate and Venerable Master," revealing the profound truth behind how practitioners and the world's people are walking through the catastrophes in 2000, and encouraging practitioners to diligently advance during this historical battle between good and evil, and in Fa-rectification period cultivation.
- August 2000: Herb Gray, the Deputy Prime Minister, Sheila Copps, the Minister of Canadian Heritage, A. Anne McLellan, the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and many other Canadian government officials wrote a total of 70 letters of congratulations for Falun Dafa Week in Canada.
- August 2000: The Falun Dafa Information Center (English) was established in the USA, run by Falun Dafa volunteers.
- August 29, 2000: Falun Gong practitioner Zhu Keming from Hong Kong and Falun Gong practitioner Wang Jie from Beijing filed a lawsuit at the Supreme Court in China against Jiang Zemin, Zeng Qinghong, and Luo Gan for violating the Chinese Constitution and persecuting Falun Gong. In the lawsuit, they also made six demands, including withdrawing the arrest warrant against Mr. Li Hongzhi, withdrawing Ministry of Public Security's "Six Prohibitions," releasing illegally detained Falun Gong practitioners, and bringing Jiang, Zen and Luo to justice.
In response to their suit against Jiang, Falun Dafa practitioners Zhu Keming and Wang Jie were arrested in Beijing. This marked the first time Falun Dafa practitioners filed a lawsuit against Jiang, while the plaintiffs were illegally punished.
- September 26, 2000: Minghui Editors published "Serious Teachings - Recorded from a Recent Talk by Master." Mr. Li Hongzhi gave serious guidance to His disciples on consummation during the Fa-rectification period cultivation, including how to upgrade understandings based on the Fa, many situations among practitioners, and more.
- October 8, 2000: World Falun Dafa Radio, a radio station created by volunteer Falun Gong practitioners, began broadcasting from San Francisco, USA.
- October, 2000: In order to force detained Falun Gong practitioners to renounce their faith in Falun Gong, The Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in Shenyang, Liaoning Province stripped female Falun Gong practitioners naked and threw them into male criminal inmates' cells.
- October, 2000: More than thirty congressmen and college professors in the US and UK nominated Mr. Li Hongzhi and his Dafa disciples as the candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- October 21, 2000: More than 800 Falun Gong practitioners held an experience-sharing conference in San Francisco, USA. Mr. Li Hongzhi appeared at the conference for the first time since the persecution started and gave a Fa lecture. His lecture was subsequently published in Guiding the Voyage.
October 28, 2000, Falun Gong practitioners produced FGM TV programs and broadcast them via satellite and cable TV in North America. These TV programs could be viewed in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- November 2, 2000, The People's Court in China sentenced Liang Jiantian to life in prison and Liu Jinsong to 20 years in prison for printing and selling Falun Gong books.
- November 19, 2000, Falun Dafa practitioners outside of China founded Zhengjian.org website. The website was formally established by practitioners from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Washington DC. Its purpose is to collect materials on prehistoric civilizations and science.
- November 24, 2000, Minghui editors published "About Psychotropics," publicizing Mr. Li Hongzhi's teaching on the issue. He "disbelieve[s] that psychotropics could play this kind of role. Out of their own fears, some of our students used this as an excuse for not passing the tests they should pass. If psychotropics could really play such a role and if [the students] have done seriously wrong things under the influence of the drugs, they should work even harder to inform people of the truth so as to make up for what's been lost ."
- November 2000: Friends of Falun Gong, also known as, "American Citizens In Support of Falun Gong Practitioners' Freedom of Belief," was established.
- November 19, 2000: "Australian Citizens In Support of Falun Dafa Practitioners' Freedom of Belief", a.k.a. "Friends of Falun Gong" was established.
- December 1, 2000: Minghui.org published Master Li's article "Eliminate Evil," in which he stated: "Don't believe the rumor about my going to Beijing. If I do something publicly or publish scriptures1, they're sure to be published on the ClearWisdom (Minghui) website. "Scriptures" that aren't published on the ClearWisdom website are definitely fake. All those who are circulating those types of "scriptures" should look into where the fake scriptures originated from and expose the evil."
- December 19, 2000: The North America Great Lakes Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference was held in Ann Harbor, Michigan. Mr. Li Hongzhi appeared at the conference and gave a Fa lecture. His speech was collected in Guiding the Voyage.
- December 23, 2000: 3,000 Falun Gong practitioners from 18 countries and regions held an experience sharing conference in Taipei, Taiwan. It was the first time that an international cultivation experience sharing conference was held in Taiwan. Vice-president Lu Xianlian of Taiwan addressed the conference.
- January 1, 2001: Mr. Li Hongzhi's article "Beyond the Limits of Forbearance" was published on Minghui.org.
- January 1, 2001: At least 700 Falun Dafa practitioners in China went to Tiananmen Square to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. The police rounded up one practitioner every two minutes.
- January 10, 2001, professor Zhang Kunlun was sentenced to three years imprisonment. Through intervention by the Canadian government, professor Zhang was released. It was the first successful rescue case by the international community.
- January 2001: "Friends of Falun Gong, Canada" was established
- January 4, 2001: fawanghuihui.org was established to collect and compile cases of persecution against Falun Gong and the names of the perpetrators.
- January 6, 2001: The first Minghui School was established in Washington D.C. Subsequently, Minghui schools have been established in many cities around the world, including: Sidney, Australia, Melbourne, Australia, Toronto, Canada, Vancouver, Ottawa, many cities in Taiwan and Thailand; Tokyo, Japan; Seoul, South Korea; New York City, New Jersey, Atlanta, Houston, Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago, and others in the USA.
- January 23, 2001: The staged Tiananmen Square Self-immolation Incident occurred. The Xinhua News Agency, the official media of the Jiang regime, broadcast the news one hour after the event occurred, claiming that five Falun Gong practitioners had set themselves on fire. Later they changed the number of people who had set themselves on fire from five to seven. On the same day, Minghui.org published the press release by the Falun Dafa Information Center: "China Stages Self-Immolation Act; Xinhua News Frames Falun Gong with Slanderous Lies," calling for a third-party independent investigation to uncover the truth.
- On February 4, 2001, The Washington Post published an article entitled "Human Fire Ignites Chinese Mystery, Motive for Public Burning Intensifies Fight Over Falun Gong." In the article it was noted that no one had ever seen one of the victims, Liu Chunling, practicing Falun Gong.
- On February 15, 2001, The European Council passed a resolution to support the freedom of belief and religion in China. The resolution pointed out that, due to the Chinese government's persecution of Falun Gong during the previous two years, over 50,000 Falun Gong practitioners had been arrested and more than 25,000 had been imprisoned, sent to labor camps, or committed to psychiatric hospitals and at least 137 had been tortured to death. The resolution called on the Chinese government to release all innocent people that had been detained for peacefully exercising internationally recognized rights of freedom of belief and religion.
- March 14, 2001: Mr. Li Hongzhi won the International Religious Freedom Award issued by US Freedom House human rights organization.
- April 27, 2001: Falun Dafa books were featured in the annual international book fair in Geneva, Switzerland.
- May 19, 2001: Mr. Li Hongzhi published "The Disciples' Magnificence" on Minghui.org. Thousands of Falun Gong practitioners held a Falun Dafa experience sharing Fa conference in Ottawa, Canada. Mr. Li Hongzhi appeared at the Fa conference and gave a Fa lecture, which was later published in Guiding the Voyage. This was the first time that Mr. Li Hongzhi taught his students about "sending forth righteous thoughts."
- On May 24, 2001, Asia Week ranked Mr. Li Hongzhi as number one among the 50 most influential people in Asia.
- May 27, 2001: Minghui Editors for the first time issued an announcement for all practitioners around the world to send forth righteous thoughts on a unified schedule.
- May 30, 2001: Amnesty International named Jiang Zemin one of its "human rights scoundrels" of 2000.
- On June 4, 2001, the Highest Chinese Court and the Highest Chinese Procurator published "Explanations of Legal Problems in the Application of Law Concerning Crimes of Organization and Making Use of Sects" because practitioners gave out Falun Gong truth clarifying materials to the general public in large quantities. In the article, it stated that anyone who distributes flyers, DVD, VCD, or CD can be considered committing the crime of "Instigating Disruption of the Country" or "Overthrowing the Government".
- On June 10, 2001, the Editorial Group of Clearwisdom.net (the English version of Minghui.net) issued a notice for all Falun Gong practitioners of the three set times during the day to send forth righteous thoughts together.
- On June 15, 2001, over 600 Falun Gong practitioners from around 23 countries gathered in Gothenburg during the European Union Summit Period. They organized a walk-around-the-city parade and held press conferences. They initiated the "SOS Global Rescue Plan" to appeal to the international community for help in stopping the brutal persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China.
- On June 20, 2001, the "Wanjia Forced Labor Camp Atrocity" occurred. The Wanjia Forced Labor Camp is located in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, China. The tragedy involved Falun Gong practitioners Li Xiuqing, Zhang Yulan, and Zhao Yayun who died from persecution, 8 practitioners who were secretly sent to the hospital in a comatose state, and four female practitioners transferred to the men's group to be isolated. Due to tight control of information by the forced labor camp, outsiders thought all 15 Falun Gong practitioners had been tortured to death.
- Beginning July 2001, Falun Gong practitioners in America, Europe, Australia, and several Asian countries began the "SOS, Rescue the Falun Gong Practitioners Persecuted in China" activities by traveling through countries on foot, by bicycle or by car.
- On July 5, 2001, the US State Council published a "Falun Gong in China" bulletin. It urged China to release detained Falun Gong practitioners.
- On July 17, 2001, Falun Gong Practitioner Peng Liang from Wuhan City sued Zhao Zhifei in a US court. Peng's brother Peng Ming and mother Li Xiuying were tortured to death in China. Zhao Zhifei is the head of the Public Security Department of Hubei Province, and the major head of the "610 Office" in Hubei Province. In late August 2001, many practitioners who helped Peng Liang were arrested. Peng Liang' s situation is currently unknown,
- On July 20, 2001, the international Human Rights Society issued an announcement in which it appealed for an end to the persecution and killing of Falun Gong practitioners.
- On July 21, 2001, about 4000 Falun Gong practitioners from around 30 countries gathered at Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. for an experience sharing conference. Mr. Li Hongzhi lectured at the conference. His lecture was later published in the book Guiding the Voyage..
- In the end of July 2001, more than 130 Falun Gong practitioners detained at the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp went on a group hunger strike to protest the illegal extension of detained practitioners whose terms had ended.
- In August 2001, to support fellow practitioners detained in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, Falun Gong practitioners around the world held a sit in or went on hunger strikes in front of Chinese embassies or consulates in various countries. Among them, practitioners in Vancouver, Canada went on a prolonged protest of 24 hours a day for 21 months that did not end until May 2003.
- In August 2001, The Golden Lotus (Jin-Lian-Hua) Press published "Heaven and Earth Both Turn to Falun Dafa" which was edited by the North America Falun Dafa Association. The book collected over 600 proclamations to Falun Dafa by government officials and non-governmental organizations in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, China, Russia, Japan and other areas.
- On August 14, 2001, at the 53rd Meeting of the associated committee of UN Human Rights Promotion and Protection, the UN Educational Organization made a statement to point out that the "Tiananman Self-Immolation Event" was directed by the Chinese government for the sole purpose of slandering Falun Gong. The UN Educational Organization condemned Jiang Zemin's regime's "National Terrorism" in the persecution of Falun Gong.
- On September 9, 2001, the Yuanming.net website, which changed its name to European Yuanming.net, was up and running after more than a year of no operation.
- On September 13, 2001, Mr. Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, was nominated for the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.
- At the end of October 2001, Canadian Premier Jean Chrietien raised the issue of Falun Gong directly to Jiang Zemin at APEC held in Shanghai.
- On September 27, 2001, according to a Clearwisdom.net (www.minghui.ca) report, in four months (from May to August 2001), incomplete statistics showed that more than 120 government officials and police officers suddenly died and 325 of them suffered accidental injuries or car accidents; that is believed to be karmic retribution for their persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. .
Minghui website published an article entitled, "Make the Best Use of Time to Clarify the Truth to the Precious Chinese People," which stated, "The present state of today's humankind is formed by countless tragic but magnificent historic stories that are little known to humankind. In an era a long time ago, in the immense colossal firmament, the lords and kings of cosmic systems at different levels -- out of compassion for sentient beings and in order to attain the Fa at this moment in time when the Fa rectifies the cosmos and thereby save the beings that they represent -- fully experienced the hardships of history and endured disgrace and dishonor by coming down to the human world. Upon entering the three realms they became lost in the mortal world, and exhaustively suffered the mistreatment of low-level beings in the three realms, and in order to survive, they also created innumerable quantities of karma. Many were high lords, divine and holy Fa kings that confronted danger in the three realms and the human world, hoping to attain the Fa."
The article urged all Dafa practitioners to, "make the best use of time, and through every channel at various levels, use every effective method to deeply and meticulously clarify the truth to Chinese people and help Chinese people come to understand Dafa in a positive way." "At the same time, it is extremely important to do all of this well by rationally and wisely using methods that can be easily understood and accepted by others."
This article marked the beginning of the global efforts to clarify the truth of Dafa to all people, especially the Chinese people.
- On November 20, 2001, 36 Falun Gong practitioners (all westerners) from 12 countries gathered at Tiananmen Square to protest the persecution of Falun Gong by holding up a banner that read "Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance." They were deported the next day and prohibited from entering China for five years.
- In early 2002, the "Taiwan Fang Guang Ming" website was set up. On February 2, 2002, it published the first TV program entitled, "Falun Dafa in Taiwan (revised edition)".
- Minghui website reported on March 7, 2002 that two Falun Gong TV programs, including "Falun Dafa Worldwide" and "Self-Immolation or Staged Act," were broadcasted on eight cable channels in Changchun City, Jilin Province. The broadcast lasted 40 to 50 minutes without intermission. The report said that at around 8 p.m. on March 5, several hundred thousand subscribers of the cable channels in Changchun City were watching TV programs, and then suddenly eight channels changed into documentaries showing the truth of Falun Gong. The founder of Falun Gong and scenes of practitioners collectively practicing exercises worldwide emerged to numerous television audiences in China.
After that event, Jiang Zemin secretly ordered to "kill without pardon". During the time period of the 6th to the 9th of March, over 100 Falun Dafa practitioners in Changchun were abducted or detained.
- On March 8, 2002 Mr. Li Hongzhi published the article "Look at Things with Righteous Thoughts" on Minghui.org. He said: "Right now, the Dafa disciples of Mainland China using television to let people know the truth is exposing the evil's persecution, is saving sentient beings whose minds have been poisoned by the evil's deceit, and is a magnificent act of mercy."
Minghui.org reported on March 30 that the police of Jilin Province were conducting massive raids under direct orders from Jiang Zemin. It reported that during the period of the 5th to the 24th of March, police arrested more than 5,000 Falun Gong practitioners in Changchun. At least 8 people were tortured to death, and most were secretly cremated by the police. The ones we know are: (1). Ms. Shen Jianli, a 34-year-old teacher of Math Application and also a teacher in Jilin University. She was arrested on March 6, and tortured to death by the local police at the end of April 2002; her husband Zheng Weidong is also a Falun Gong practitioner and is still being held. Their 4 year old daughter is looked after by a friend. (2). On the night of March 11, 34 year old Liu Haibo was taken from his home by the Kuancheng District Public Security Sub-bureau of Changchun City. The police tortured and interrogated him for one whole night, until they found that he was in critical condition after 1 a.m. the next morning. Liu Haibo was sent to an Emergency Center, but still passed away. (3). On March 16, another male Falun Gong practitioner (over 30, an employee of the Merchant's Bank) was tortured to death by a Criminal Brigade of Jincheng Public Security Sub-bureau in Changchun City. (4). On March 18, Liu Yi (male, 34, lived on Qingnian Road, Luyuan District of Changchun City) was also beaten to death in the office of Criminal Brigade in Luyuan Public Security Sub-bureau, because he resisted the evil persecution. The police monitored his family members 24 hours a day, and strictly blocked the information. (5). On March 20, 54-year-old Ms. Li Shuqin was abducted by Changjiu local police officers, and tortured to death in Changchun No. 3 Detention Center. (6). Hou Mingkai was raided by the "610 Office" for a reward of 50,000 yuan and a promotion of two levels in government position. He was arrested on August 21, and beaten to death within two days. His body was secretly cremated on August 23. (7). Ms. Li Rong was persecuted to death within a very short period between the end of March and beginning of early April. (8) In September of 2002, another 15 practitioners participating in the March 5 Video Broadcast in Changchun City were sentenced from 4 to 20 years in prison. Mr. Liu Chengjun, one of the main persons participating in the video broadcast died on December 26, 2003 after suffering torture in prison for a year and nine months.
- March 30, 2002: "Guangzhou Daily", the Guangzhou City Party Committee's official newspaper, published two poems by Mr. Li Hongzhi. Afterwards the editor in charge was taken into custody.
- May 8, 2002, Minghui editors sent out a notice asking practitioners around the world to start sending forth righteous thoughts four times every day at 6 and 12 in the morning and evening Beijing time.
- May 12, 2002, the local television station "All Villages Satellite Broadcast Television", that covers more than ten provinces including Inner Mongolia, Yunnan, Sichuan, Guizhou, Chongqing, Henan, Hunan, Qinghai, Shanxi, and Gansu, was retransmitting the CCTV "News Broadcast". During the program, that attacked Falun Gong, it suddenly stopped for 3 minutes until it finished.
- May 14, 2002, Pope John Paul II met with a Falun Gong practitioner, and offered a blessing for Falun Dafa around the world.
- June 2002: Jiang Zemin visited Iceland. Over 70 Falun Gong practitioners, who had planned to protest the persecution against Falun Gong in Iceland were stopped at the Icelandic border, because their names were on a blacklist that was provided by Jiang's regime. Morgunbladid, Iceland's largest daily newspaper, ran a full-page ad in Chinese, English and Icelandic apologizing to members of Falun Gong and foreign visitors of Asian descent. More than 450 Icelandic people from all walks of life--from Congressmen to poets, from blue-collar workers to students-- signed the declaration. Nearly 3,000 Icelandic people initiated a parade, protesting China's persecution against Falun Gong and Icelandic government's ban of Falun Gong practitioners from entering Iceland.
- July 17, 2002: Australian Falun Gong practitioners launched another Falun Dafa web site, Guang Ming, at http://www.xinguangming.org.
- August 16, 2002, Talentvision, a Chinese-language TV station, had been airing news program from Mainland China that slander Falun Gong. After receiving complaints, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) found that the news item relating to murders committed in Mainland China was unfair and improper in its method of linking the murderer to Falun Gong. The CBSC decision stated that Talentvision breached four articles of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Violence Code and the Radio and Television News Directors Association Code of (Journalistic) Ethics. Mo Ruoxiang, the president of Talentvision, said that he would accept this ruling.
- Around August 17, 2002, the Falun Gong truth-clarification program, "Historical Trial" was inserted on cable TV stations in Xining City, Minhe County, and other areas in Qinghai Province.
- In August 2002, a cable TV station in the Fangshan area of Beijing was intercepted twice by a Falun Gong truth-clarification program. It happened three times in the eastern area of Baoding City. Each interception lasted more than 70 minutes.
- On August 23 and 27, 2002 Falun Gong practitioners successfully broadcasted the Falun Gong truth-clarification TV programs "Witness" and "Falun Dafa Worldwide", during the peak hours of 7 and 8 p.m. in northern Baoding, Laishui, Yixian, Zhuozhou, Gaobeidian, and Xushui of Hebei Province. Each broadcast lasted over 70 minutes.
- On August 27, 2002, the police in Xushui County, Baoding City, Hebei Province, sent many police cars and armed police officers to apprehend Falun Gong practitioners who had broadcasted Falun Dafa truth-clarification TV programs in surrounding areas. The police shot at the Falun Gong practitioners and smashed their van. The public security officers arrested six Falun Gong practitioners.
- On August 27, 2002, The World Psychology Association decided to send a team to China to investigate the Jiang regime's abusive use of psychiatric treatment to persecute dissidents.
- On September 6, 2002, Falun Gong practitioners successfully broadcast a truth-clarification TV program onto a cable TV network in Baiyin County, Baiyin City, Gansu Province. The program lasted 15 minutes.
- On December 29, 2002, the 2002 Taiwan Falun Dafa Experience Sharing Conference was held at the National Taiwan University stadium in Taipei, Taiwan. 5000 practitioners attended the conference. Vice Interior Minister Mr. Hsu, Ying-Shen; the Mayor of Taipei, Mr. Ma Ying-Jeou; and the President of Taiwan National University, Mr. Chen Wei-Jao all came in person to give speeches to show their respect and support for Falun Gong practitioners. Later, the Vice President of Taiwan, Ms. Lu Hsiu-Lien, sent a congratulatory telegram and best regards to Falun Gong practitioners.
- On February 15, 2003, over 1,500 Falun Gong practitioners held a Falun Dafa Experience Sharing conference in Los Angeles. Mr. Li Hongzhi graced the Fa conference with his presence and answered questions about cultivation at a large-scale Fa conference for the first time since the persecution against Falun Gong began.
- On June 5, 2003, Iceland's Data Protection Authority announced that the Icelandic Ministry of Justice's use of a blacklist to stop Falun Gong practitioners from entering Iceland was illegal.
- On August 1, 2003, according to a Minghui.org news announcement: Falun Gong practitioners in a rural area in Hunan successfully broadcasted the Falun Gong truth-clarification TV programs "Witness" and "Falun Dafa Worldwide", with a timed high-power transmitter for several minutes. Tens of thousands of Chinese people watched these truth-clarification TV programs. All Falun Gong practitioners who helped with the broadcast withdrew from the area safely prior to the broadcast. According to the news, Falun Gong practitioners in China have designed and produced a large quantity of TV transmitters and FM broadcasting transmitters. They have internal timers and a large emissive power for more Falun Gong practitioners in China to broadcast Falun Dafa truth-clarification TV programs.
- On September 30, 2003, the "Global Coalition to Bring Jiang Zemin to Justice" formally announced its establishment at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. The Coalition is committed to embodying all righteous forces and exposing all the crimes of Jiang Zemin. The Coalition will ensure that Jiang is brought to justice in the Court of Conscience, the Court of Morality and the Court of Law. To date, over 100 organizations and individuals have joined in to support the Coalition.
- October 15, 2003: Clearwisdom reported that all provinces in China changed the name of the "Falun Dafa "610 Office"" to the "Purge the Evil Cult Office" throughout China, and claimed that the ""610 Office"s" had been disbanded.
- November 3, 2003: Clearwisdom reported, In Nahe City, Heilongjiang Province that Dafa practitioners successfully aired truth clarification videos using the local cable TV system. About 600 households viewed the program, which included the truth about the persecution of Dafa and Dafa practitioners.
- November 3, 2003: Clearwisdom reported that a Quebec Court of Appeals reinstated Falun Gong practitioners' Motion for Contempt of Court against the Montreal Chinese Newspaper La Presses Chinoise and the author Ms. He Bing. The court's decision will be reported in the prestigious law journal Dominion Law Reports.
- November 8, 2003: New Tang Dynasty TV (NTDTV), a non-profit, privately owned Chinese TV station, won an Honorable Mention at the 51st Columbus International Film & Video Festival for the movie "False Fire: China's Tragic New Standard in State Deception" in which the Tiananmen Square "Self-immolation Incident" that occurred in 2001 is analyzed.
- November 14, 2003: the Clearwisdom.net Committee for Collecting Evidence of the Persecution published an article entitled How to Wisely Collect Physical Evidence. It suggested that practitioners in China begin collecting evidence of the media-created and distributed defamation of Falun Gong in China, and other evidence of the persecution. The article also suggested that the collected evidence be sent to the Evidence Collection Committee overseas as soon as it was safe to do so.
- November 29, 2003: About 1,500 Falun Dafa practitioners from North America and other countries gathered at the World Congress Center in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, to attend the 2003 Southeast US Falun Dafa Cultivation Experience Sharing Conference. The founder of Falun Dafa, Mr. Li Hongzhi gave a Fa lecture and answered questions from Falun Gong practitioners regarding cultivation practice.
- January 20, 2004: Representatives of the Canadian Falun Dafa Association, the World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (WOIPFG), Ottawa Branch, and international human rights lawyer David Matas held a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Canada. During the press conference it was announced that the group had presented the names of 15 Chinese officials, including the former Chinese President Jiang Zemin, and evidence of their crimes while persecuting Falun Gong in China to Canadian Government officials. The Hate Crimes section of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) put the information on record. When anyone on the list attempts to enter Canada, a prompt investigation could take place. By the end of the month the number of people on the list had increased to 45.
- By the end of February 2004
Falun Gong had spread to more than 60 countries and regions all over the world, and people in other countries began to cultivate Falun Dafa.
The main book of Falun Dafa, Zhuan Falun, had been translated into 25 languages and published all over the world. The book China Falun Gong had been translated into 30 languages and published all over the world. Translation of the books into other languages is now underway.
There were about 110 Falun Dafa websites in the world.
By mid-February, 2004, Falun Dafa had received 1223 proclamations and commendations as well as letters of thanks: 1051 were from the USA, 135 from Canada, 12 from Australia, 9 from Taiwan, 6 from Europe, 1 each from New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia and Peru, and 6 from China (before 1999).
The number of Falun Gong practitioners confirmed to have been tortured to death by the Chinese Communist government had reached 935.
According to the Chinese Communist Party's internal statistics, at the end of October 2001 the number of Falun Gong practitioners that had died in detention was 1,600.
The number of Falun Gong practitioners tried and found guilty by the Jiang regime had exceeded 6,000; [Note: The trials were not legal as the Chinese Constitution warrants the freedom of personal belief and assembly.]
The number of Falun Gong practitioners detained in forced labor camps without trial had exceeded 100,000;
The deputy head of a forced labor camp in China revealed that in 2001 there were 210,000 imprisoned Falun Gong practitioners.
The number of arrests of Falun Gong practitioners had exceeded several hundred thousand.
According to internal information from the Public Security Bureau in Beijing, by the end of April 2001 there had been a total of 830,000 arrests of Falun Gong practitioners for appealing in Beijing for the right to practice Falun Dafa. This number does not include those who refused to give their names or were not recorded by the police at the time of arrest.
The number of Falun Gong practitioners sent to psychiatric institutions and subjected to injections of drugs that damage the central nervous system had reached several thousand.
Countless Falun Gong practitioners were forced to attend brainwashing classes.
Countless Falun Gong practitioners were forced to leave their homes to escape further persecution.
Hundreds of millions of Falun Gong practitioners' friends, families, and colleagues were subjected to different degrees of persecution and brainwashing.
1/4 of China's national revenues were used to persecute Falun Gong in the following ways (not a complete list):
- The Chinese police that work exclusively to persecute Falun Gong practitioners, as well as the staff of the ""610 Office"s," a Gestapo-like agency in China, totaling several millions, using hundreds of billions of yuan from Chinese peoples' taxes to pay salaries.
- In February 27, 2001, the Jiang regime approved a budget of 4 billion yuan to install surveillance devices to spy on and watch Falun Gong practitioners.
- In December 2001, the Jiang regime approved a budget of 4.2 billion yuan to build additional brainwashing centers.
- According to information from the Public Security Bureau in China, the cost of patrolling Tiananmen Square and arresting Falun Gong practitioners in 2001was between 1.7 and 2.5 million yuan a day, totaling 620 to 910 million yuan.
- According to internal documents from Beijing's Treasury, a budget of 32 million yuan was approved to "handle Falun Gong" from January to October of 2001.
- Haidin District in Beijing approved a budget of 3.6 million yuan in June 2001 to run forced brainwashing classes.
- The Treasury of the Shapingba District of Chongqing City spent 2.02 million yuan to "handle Falun Gong."
- To prevent Falun Gong truth-clarification videos from being aired on CCTV, the Jiang regime spent one billion yuan to replace its satellite broadcast system with fiber cable transmission networks.
- From March to June 2002, Changchun City put a large number of government organizations into action and hired an additional 800 people to watch the telephone poles 24 hours a day, spending more than one million yuan to prevent Falun Gong's truth-clarification TV programs from airing on cable TV channels in Changchun.
- A forced labor camp in Shanxi Province spent 19.37 million yuan moving from one location to another.
- The Jiang regime encouraged the Chinese people to help persecute Falun Gong practitioners by offering monetary incentives. For example, the Head of the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp received 50,000 yuan for his efforts and the Deputy Head received 30,000 yuan.
- Everyone who reports a Falun Gong practitioner will receive several thousand to tens of thousands of yuan reward.
- The number of policemen watching and controlling the Internet communications and information reached several hundred thousand.
- The Jiang regime sent a large number of special agents overseas to spy on Falun Gong practitioners in other countries. In Southern California alone, there are several hundred special agents.
- The Jiang regime offered developing countries a large amount of zero-interest economic aid and trade for voting against any motions to investigate human rights abuses in China at the assembly of the United Nation's Human Rights Committee.
- The Jiang regime used monetary incentives to directly control or influence independent media that do business in China to purchase airtime. Government officials were hired to work inside independent media companies as secret agents and used other means to influence or control the Chinese-language media in developed Western countries.
- On July 9, 2004 the total number of deaths published on Clearwisdom.net reached 1000 when details of the torture death of Ms. Wang Xiaodong a 34-year-old teacher from Nantou High School, Shenzhen City, were published.
For more information, please refer to other classified reports collected in our database:
The positive reports on Falun Dafa by the Chinese media before China began an all-out persecution of Falun Gong in 1999;
The names of Falun Gong practitioners who have been tortured to death, the descriptions of their cases, statistics on their sex, age and the localities, as well as statistics on the number of deaths in each province in China;
The support and encouragement from governments and organizations all over the world;
A list of published Falun Dafa books;
A list of Falun Dafa experience sharing conferences in different parts of the world;
A list of lawsuits against: Chinese former President Jiang Zemin by Falun Dafa practitioners all over the world, other Chinese officials who have persecuted Falun Gong practitioners, and the "610 Office."