(Clearwisdom.net) Ms. Bai Gendi is a Shanghai Falun Gong practitioner. On July 24, 1999, she organized a large-scale group exercise for 80,000 people at a stadium and was sentenced to two years in Shanghai Women's Forced Labor Camp. In October 2001, Ms. Bai was unconditionally released, but was arrested again three months later when she was clarifying the truth about Falun Gong. In February 2002 she was sentenced to three additional years in Shanghai Women's Forced Labor Camp. During the past five years, Ms. Bai Gendi has spent more than four and a half years incarcerated for her firm faith in Falun Gong. More details of her situation follow.

Ms. Bai Gendi was an excellent employee of the Shanghai Petroleum Company. Her hard work earned the respect of everyone around her. When she was released from the labor camp in 2001, in order to force her to give up Falun Gong, the company threatened to fire her and not pay her the back salary the company owed her. Ms. Bai refused to give up Falun Gong, and as a result she lost her job. Ms. Bai sacrificed great personal benefits for her faith in Falun Gong.

During her first two years in the forced labor camp, she suffered greatly. That camp was acclaimed as "non violent". She was forced to work 18 to 19 hours each day in a room with the temperature higher than 40oC (104oF). Though she worked long hours, often she still could not achieve the unreasonable quota they had set for her. As punishment, she was forbidden to take a shower or change clothes for weeks. The guards also purposely made her live in rooms with lots of mosquitoes and cockroaches as further punishment. The guards tried to make collaborators (former practitioners who have gone astray due to brainwashing and torture) "reform" Ms. Bai. Instead, she persuaded some collaborators to come back to Falun Gong. This made the guards further abuse her. Though suffering inhuman abuses, Ms. Bai kept her rational mind throughout these years.

We know little about her since Ms. Bai's 2002 second sentencing. From what we learned, she is continuously under "strict monitoring" and forced to work over 16 hours each day. Ms. Bai has been deprived of her right to see visitors or write letters, yet was accused of refusing to see family members or friends who had come to visit her. We heard she was handcuffed and hung up twice, each time for several days.(1)

We hereby request the Jiang faction to unconditionally release Ms. Bai Gendi. We also hope that international human rights organizations and other kind-hearted people pay attention to this matter.


(1) With both hands cuffed, both feet off or only toes touching the ground, one is hung onto a basketball support or a house beam by the handcuffs. The hands and arms will soon become partially paralyzed and numb.