Latest News from China - 07/22/2003
- [Hengyang City, Hunan Province] Lei Zhenzhong, Directly Responsible for the Death of a Young Falun Dafa Practitioner, Chen Xiangrui, is Transferred in Order to Escape Public Scrutiny
- [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Bai Yuzhi is Left Unable to Take Care of Herself
- [Dashiqiao City, Liaoning Province] A Site Housing Falun Gong Materials is Ransacked and Two Falun Dafa Practitioners Arrested
- [Weifang City, Shandong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner, Mr. Yang Feng from Weifang City Arrested in Jinan City on August 5; Details of Charges Unknown
- [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Wuhan Police Department Robs Falun Dafa Practitioners
- [Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province] Several Falun Dafa Practitioners Illegally Detained
- [Baoding, Hebei Province] Official Document Issued Requiring All Schools, Party, and Governmental Organizations to Install Software Filtering Out Information Related to Falun Gong
- [Zhangjiakou City, Hebei Province] Liu Jianhua, Liang Xiutao and Several Other Falun Dafa Practitioners Illegally Detained by the Chongli County "610 Office"
- [Xiangcheng City, Henan Province] Falun Dafa Practitioners Held Indefinitely by the "610 Office" and Security Brigade
- [Zhejiang Province] Month-Long High Temperatures Cause Hardship
- [Liaoning Province] A Non-Practitioner's Family Sues Huludao Forced Labor Camp
1. [Hengyang City, Hunan Province] Lei Zhenzhong, Directly Responsible for the Death of a Young Falun Dafa Practitioner, Chen Xiangrui, is Transferred in Order to Escape Public Scrutiny
Lei Zhenzhong, team leader of the National Security Branch Regiment in Hengyang City, is directly responsible for torturing Mr. Chen Xiangrui, a young Falun Dafa practitioner, to death on March 12. Recently he was transferred to a different position in an attempt to remove him from public scrutiny for his crime.
Mr. Chen Xiangrui lived a very simple and frugal life. He was honest, kind-natured, and willing to help others. We, his colleagues, friends, and teachers are shocked and deeply saddened to learn about how he was tortured to death by the police from the "610 Office.*"
We, hereby, bring this case to the attention of international criminal courts in order to bring Jiang and his cohorts to justice.
By the friends, schoolmates, and family of Chen Xiangrui in Hengyang City, Hunan Province, the People's Republic of China
2. [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Bai Yuzhi is Left Unable to Take Care of Herself
Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Bai Yuzhi is from Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province. She remains in custody at Prison No. 2 in Shijiazhuang City despite her extremely weak physical condition. She has lost her sight in both eyes and is bed-ridden due to the severe abuses she has been subjected to. She is unable to take care of herself. Her family members have asked for her release based on her medical condition. The prison authorities rejected her family's request citing that "no medical release will be granted unless a prisoner is on the brink of death."
3. [Dashiqiao City, Liaoning Province] A Site Housing Falun Gong Materials is Ransacked and Two Falun Dafa Practitioners Arrested
On July 27, 2003, a site where Falun Dafa materials were stored was broken into. Two Falun Dafa practitioners were arrested, and large amounts of cash and equipment were stolen. Both practitioners are unlawfully being held at the Yingkou Detention Center.
4. [Weifang City, Shandong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Mr. Yang Feng from Weifang City Arrested in Jinan City on August 5; Details of Charges Unknown
5. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Wuhan City Police Department Robs Falun Dafa Practitioners
Since July 20, 1999, the Hanyang District Division of the Wuhan City Police Department has been looking for Falun Dafa practitioners who have any material means. Officers have conducted illegal searches of these practitioners' homes. Some of the homes have been ransacked six to seven times. Officers have forcibly taken away cars, walkmans, computers, printers, and various other valuables. The officers have then shared these looted items. When practitioners demand the return of these personal items, the police make up various excuses to classify these things as "material evidence." They have forcibly taken away whatever they want from practitioners' homes, claiming that the items will be returned after careful study to determine if the items are related to Falun Gong. So far, not a single item has been returned.
Telephone numbers of the responsible individuals and organizations:
Directors Liu and Ye of the "610 Office" in Hanyang District, Wuhan City:
Liu Jun, Xiong Hui, and section chief Yang of Section No. 1 in Hanyang District Division of the Wuhan City Police Department: 86-27-84841425.
Legal Education Class in Hanyang District, Wuhan City: 86-27-84883241.
6. [Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province] Several Falun Dafa Practitioners Illegally Detained
On July 8, the police illegally arrested Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Qu Xiulan, who lives in Xiangfang District in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province.
From early June to June 16, a total of 32 Falun Dafa practitioners were illegally arrested. Currently they are being held in Detention Center No. 2 in Harbin. Their families have been denied visits. The practitioners are from Daoli, Nangang, Dongli, and Xiangfang Districts. On June 8, a 67-year-old female practitioner (whose name is not known) was unlawfully arrested. On June 9, while Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Li Zhimei was clarifying the facts about Falun Gong in the Xindi community in Xiangfang District, community members and the neighborhood administrative office joint security team informed the police. Ms. Li was arrested by the Hongqidajie Police and later sent by the Xiangfang Division Police to Detention Center No. 2 in Harbin, where she has remained in custody ever since.
7. [Baoding, Hebei Province] Official Document Issued Requiring All Schools, Party, and Governmental Organizations to Install Software Filtering Out Information Related to Falun Gong
According to reliable sources, an official document issued by authorities in Baoding requires all schools, Party, and governmental organizations in the area to install software on all computer terminals connected to the Internet. The software, "The Intelligent Network Information Filtering System," is dedicated to filtering information related to Falun Gong. This software package is the brainchild of Xu Jialu, a Deputy Chair of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress. It might have been developed by the Beijing-based Dazheng Information Company. Sources reveal that Wang Tingjiu, the Party Secretary of Baoding City, was quoted in the document demanding that the software be used in all businesses around the city.
8. [Zhangjiakou City, Hebei Province] Liu Jianhua, Liang Xiutao and Several Other Falun Dafa Practitioners Illegally Detained by the Chongli County "610 Office"
In August 2002, the "610 Office" in Chongli County took Mr. Liu Jianghua, Mr. Liang Shoutao, and a third Falun Dafa practitioner to the detention center, where they have remained in custody ever since. Two more Falun Dafa practitioners were arrested and tortured on or around July 20, 2003.
9. [Xiangcheng City, Henan Province] Falun Dafa Practitioners Held Indefinitely by the "610 Office" and Security Brigade
The persecution of Falun Dafa practitioners by the "610 Office" and Security Brigade in Xiangcheng City has long been infamous in Zhoukou City, which is composed of eight counties and a municipality. Aside from traditional approaches, authorities in Xiangcheng City have taken two additional measures. One is holding practitioners indefinitely -- as long as a practitioner has been arrested, regardless of the practitioner's age, gender, or the nature of the charges he faces, he is held indefinitely. The other measure is that even if a practitioner is on the brink of death due to abuse and brainwashing, he still will not be allowed to leave the detention center unless his family and six organizations (his employer, the board of directors of the organization, the local government, the police station, the public security departments, etc.) all offer a definitive guarantee that the practitioner will not continue practicing or appealing.
Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Wang Jun was illegally arrested and sentenced to three years (a two and a half year sentence plus an additional arbitrary half year) of forced labor for going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in October 1999. Mr. Wang was determined to continue practicing Falun Gong. The Xiangcheng police transferred him to the Xiangcheng City Detention Center to be held indefinitely. Retired teacher Ms. Han Cuimei has also been illegally held in custody for three years. Several other Falun Dafa practitioners have been illegally held for various lengths of time.
Wang Kefei, former Party Secretary of the political and judiciary committee, was involved in masterminding and implementing these measures.
10. [Zhejiang Province] Month-Long High Temperatures Cause Hardship
Temperatures have remained high for over one month in Zhejiang Province. Meteorologists have forecasted the highest temperatures at 42 degrees Celsius. The actual temperatures are even higher. Due to a lack of water, generators at electric power plants have been inoperable, resulting in a shortage of electricity. In Cixi City, electricity is cut off every third day. In Yuyao City, electricity is turned off every other day. Cities across the province are not exempt. People who had originally started to racketeer air conditioners are now purchasing family-sized electric generators. The severe shortage of electricity has halted production lines in factories and shut down small-to medium-sized hotels.
11. [Liaoning Province] A Non-Practitioner's Family Sues Huludao Forced Labor Camp
Some time ago, Zhang Bin, who was not a Falun Gong practitioner, was tortured to death in Huludao Forced Labor Camp. Zhang's family protested and filed a lawsuit against the labor camp. Labor camp authorities chose several inmates as scapegoats. Police officers and leaders at various levels of the labor camp will not be able to disentangle themselves from this case.
*(An agency specifically created to persecute Falun gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems)