A family in Yitong County, Jilin Province started their practice of Falun Dafa in the beginning of 1996. All members of this family firmly believe in Dafa.

Sometime after July 20, 1999, the entire family was investigated by the Police Department because they went to the government of Jilin Province and Beijing to petition. The police went to their home many times to threaten and intimidate the elderly lady. They slapped the table and told her: "You are an anti-revolutionary!" The elderly lady could not stand the policemen's threats and got sick in the beginning of September. On September 20th, the police department illegally detained her youngest daughter, simply because she did not give up Falun Gong. The elderly lady passed away on September 25th. The day after her death, the company of the daughter who was detained made a wonderful effort under the circumstances, and wrote a guarantee letter, plus, her family submitted 500 Yuan as a deposit (Translator's note: an average urban worker's monthly salary is about 500 Yuan). The police department finally allowed the daughter to go back home and see her mother. She had only spent three hours at home before she was sent back to the detention center. She was not allowed to attend the funeral. The day following the funeral, the police took the son and daughter-in-law of the deceased away and illegally detained them as well. The three were released on October 11th and fined 500 Yuan.

Shortly after the family's reunion on October 25th, they heard that Jiang was slandering Falun Dafa and trying to determine Dafa's legal status, so the whole family of nine adults and one child went to Beijing to appeal. When seven of them were arrested on October 27th, policeman Fu confiscated 2,900 Yuan from the father and his son. Together with the money extorted from others, a total of 3,200 Yuan was taken from them. Fu did not use any legal procedures, but told them that he was going to help them take care of the money. On November 1st, they again arrested the daughter, the son-in-law and a grandson who was less than three years old. They also illegally took 2,030 Yuan from them without any legal procedures.

After they returned to their hometown, all of them were illegally held in a detention center and a custodial center, where they suffered various degrees of personal injury due to the policemen's beatings. After a while, due to the fact that this entire family firmly continued to practice Falun Dafa, eight of them were sent to a labor camp. Only one of the elderly lady's sons-in-law and a grandson have been released. Before their release, only a teenage granddaughter remained at home, and she was forced to live with a relative.