(Minghui.org) A former police engineer is being subjected to force-feeding and physical abuse for not renouncing his faith in Falun Gong while serving a three-year term.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Liu Yan of Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, was arrested on July 11, 2019, and sentenced to three years by the Heping District Court in November 2019. He is being held in the sixth ward of Dalian City Prison.

According to an insider, Mr. Liu held multiple hunger strikes to protest the persecution and was force-fed. He is severely malnourished and weighs only 40 kg (88 lbs). He had many scars on his face and body. Those who’ve tortured him include inmates Li Qi and Wang Dong, as well as guard Sun Siming.

Over the past 23 years, Mr. Liu has been brutally persecuted for upholding his faith. He was first arrested on March 14, 2001, for distributing Falun Gong flyers. He was held at the Huanggu District Detention Center and then given one year at the Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp. The guards deprived him of sleep and forced him to squat. He was also forced to stand facing the wall in a room without heat in the freezing winter.

Mr. Liu was arrested again on February 25, 2004. The police interrogated him overnight. They shocked his arms, armpits, neck, and the back of his head with electric batons until midnight. They next handcuffed him behind his back and hung him up by the wrists by pulling his arms up from behind. The torture lasted several hours and his arms were in excruciating pain. When the police officers later fell asleep, Mr. Liu tried to escape. Before he could leave the building, the officers woke up and caught him. They took turns hitting him on the head. His eyes became red from internal bleeding and he was half-conscious.

Mr. Liu was later given three years in the Zhangshi Forced Labor Camp. Due to his injuries from the beating, the doctor issued a critical condition notice. Only then did the authorities release him. To avoid further persecution, he lived away from home for nearly a decade until the forced labor system was abolished in 2013.