(Minghui.org) On December 14, 2021, the day after the National Memorial Day for Nanjing Massacre Victims, Ms. Song Gengyi, a teacher at Shanghai Zhendan Vocational College, voiced her doubts about the actual massacre casualties during a lecture. One of her students took her lecture video out of context and posted it on the internet. As a result, she was not only reviled by outraged young Chinese Communist Party (CCP) supporters, but also criticized by the Chinese media. Ms. Song was fired two days later.

Ms. Li Tiantian, a four-month pregnant elementary school teacher from western Hunan Province, expressed her support for Ms. Song on December 17. Two days later, the local education bureau and her family sent her to a psychiatric hospital. The media claimed that she was suffering from severe “depression” and had voluntarily admitted herself to the hospital.

Such cases aren’t new to Chinese society under communist rule. Back in the 1960s during the Cultural Revolution, cases of students reporting on their teachers or even reporting on their parents were prevalent. And after the Chinese Communist Party began to persecute Falun Gong in 1999 and spread demonizing propaganda attacking this ancient spiritual discipline, many Chinese citizens were also turned against the peaceful practitioners and reported them to the police.

The following are examples from Yunnan Province, in which Chinese citizens reported on their fellow countrymen due to brainwashing by the CCP.

Students Report on Teachers

Deceived by the hate propaganda against Falun Gong, many school-aged children misunderstood this traditional cultivation practice. The students were further encouraged with monetary rewards to report Falun Gong practitioners to the authorities.

Ms. Jiang Yuliu, a teacher at Kunming No. 2 Vocational High School in Yunnan Province, talked to her students on July 7, 2004 about Falun Gong’s principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and gave them DVDs containing information about the Tiananmen self-immolation hoax, the regime’s biggest propaganda stunt to demonize Falun Gong. One of her students reported her. As a result, she was arrested and later given two years of forced labor.

A student, along with his parents, reported Mr. Su Kun, a computer science teacher at Yunnan National Defense Technology College, for giving out Falun Gong informational DVDs to his students on December 6, 2004. He was arrested and given three years of forced labor. He suffered inhuman torture in the labor camp: he was dragged to the graveyard at night to “wake up the dead”; he was soaked in the rice paddy during the day; the guards ordered inmates to beat him, causing two of his teeth to fall out; and he was deprived of sleep for three consecutive days.

Ms. Tai Hui, a Falun Gong practitioner in Mengla County, Xishuangbanna Prefecture, Yunnan Province, talked to some elementary school students about Falun Gong when they visited her cold drink store in September 2009. One of the students reported her. She was arrested and later sentenced to four years in prison.

Dr. Chen Xinwen, an associate professor in the Department of Life Science at Yunnan University, told his students about Falun Gong on October 20, 2016, and a student reported him. The school authorities and the police from the Kunming Wuhua District Domestic Security Division detained him for 15 days. He was fired in July 2017.

Healthy People Sent to Psychiatric Hospitals

Psychiatric torture is one of the common methods deployed by the CCP to target steadfast Falun Gong practitioners. Many were taken to psychiatric hospitals for “treatment.” Healthcare workers actively participated in the persecution, disregarding their professional ethics.

Ms. Xu Yan, an employee of the China Nonferrous Metals Kunming Supply and Marketing Company, handed over her Falun Gong books to the authorities due to intense pressure in the early days of the persecution. When she came to her senses, she told her superiors that she wanted to continue practicing Falun Gong. Fearing that she would negatively affect the company’s standing with the government, one of the top management officials claimed that Ms. Xu was mentally ill and made plans to send her to a psychiatric hospital.

When Ms. Xu went to the Kunming Panlong Domestic Security Division to explain why she did not want to give up her faith, Qiu Yunkun, the police chief, called in three officers to seize her and take her to the Kunming Psychiatric Hospital. 

Ms. Xu suffered physical and mental torture in the psychiatric hospital. Four or five medical workers forcibly injected her with drugs every day. They also forced her to ingest drugs three or four times a day. She became nauseated, vomited, and was unable to eat after the drugs were administered. The drugs damaged her central nervous system, causing her to be constantly drowsy.

Ms. Wang Qihui, a retired attending physician at Yunnan Provincial Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, was put under surveillance when the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1990. During the so-called “politically sensitive days,” hospital security guards were sent over to her place to watch her. Ms. Wang was once taken to the Kunming Psychiatric Hospital for “treatment” in 2002 and was subjected to mental and physical torture.

Ms. Zhang Jingyan, a toll collector on the Kunming Expressway, was given a forced labor term for practicing Falun Gong. After she was released from the labor camp in March 2003, management personnel from her workplace, including deputy manager Wang Hong and instructor Li Chaoxian, repeatedly harassed her and tried to force her to renounce Falun Gong. As she refused to do so, she was laid off with minimum compensation to cover living expenses.

Ms. Zhang’s workplace forced her husband to have a relative live in their home to watch her, and also sent several staff members to monitor her around the clock. Ms. Zhang planned to leave home to avoid further persecution in July 2003, but before she could leave, personnel from her workplace, and her husband, in collaboration with the police, sent her to the Yunnan Provincial Psychiatric Hospital.

At the psychiatric hospital, attending physicians Zhang Hongxi and Meng (given name unknown) forced Ms. Zhang to take drugs. She was drowsy, had stomach pain, vomited, and was emotionally agitated afterward. Her bones ached and her limbs were numb. Because of her strong resistance, Ms. Zhang was released after more than one month of detention. Her family had to pay a total of more than 8,000 yuan in hospital fees.

Ms. Yu Qionghua, an employee of the Kunming Dehe Canning Factory, fell off her bike and was injured on the night of May 5, 2019. A passerby called for the police. When officers from the Yueyatang Police Station arrived, they found Falun Gong materials in her bag. Instead of sending Ms. Yu to the hospital for treatment, they detained her in the Kunming No. 1 Detention Center.

Ms. Yu’s 92-year-old father, 79-year-old mother, and other family members repeatedly went to the police station to request her release. Her family was notified on May 11 to come to the police station to pick her up. However, when the family arrived, the police said that Ms. Yu had to be taken to a psychiatric hospital for a week before being allowed home. If her family disapproved, Ms. Yu would be taken back to the detention center. Her family had no choice but to sign the consent form.