Name: Sun YaotingChinese Name: 孙耀亭Gender: MaleAge: 63City: LuoyangProvince: HenanOccupation: N/ADate of Death: October 11, 2022Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 2014Most Recent Place of Detention: Xinmi Prison

A Luoyang City, Henan Province, MAN died on October 11, 2022, after enduring two decades of persecution for his faith in Falun Gong. He was 63.

Mr. Sun Yaoting took up Falun Gong, a mind-body practice also known as Falun Dafa, in 1997. After the Chinese communist regime began to persecute it in 1999, he was repeatedly arrested and given one labor camp term and two prison terms for a total of 13.5 years. He ended up in critical condition several times due to torture in custody. Once the police took him home by car, threw him on the ground, and sped off before his family could get out to take him inside.

Mr. Sun was first arrested on June 28, 2000, when he went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. He was beaten by the police in Beijing. After he was taken back to Luoyang, the local police ransacked his home, beat him, and paraded him down the street with a humiliating board hanging around his neck. Due to the savage beating, his kidney was injured and he urinated blood.

Despite his condition, the police still held him at the local detention center and forced him to work without pay. Two weeks later, he was given three years in Luoyang Forced Labor Camp, where he was also tortured and made to do forced labor. During his incarceration, the police raided his home and took many valuables, including a motorcycle, TV, sofa, office desk, and sewing machine.

Only a few days after he was released, Mr. Sun was arrested again on April 26, 2003, for distributing Falun Gong materials. He was beaten at the police station and passed out for over two hours. He suffered internal injuries and had difficulty breathing. The police kept him at the lockup and didn’t release him until May 5 that year, when he was on the verge of death.

Following another arrest on December 23, 2006, Mr. Sun developed tuberculosis in the detention center. He coughed up blood and had difficulty breathing. Without a hearing, the judge sentenced him to four years. He shouted “Falun Dafa is good” in protest and the judge added one year to his sentence in retaliation. He was taken to Xinmi Prison on May 8, 2007, and released in 2011.

Mr. Sun’s last arrest was in June 2014 for studying Falun Gong’s teachings with other practitioners. He was sentenced to 5.5 years at Xinmi Prison. He was again tortured for not renouncing Falun Gong and released in late 2016 on medical parole.

The local authorities continued to harass him and ordered him to sign statements to renounce Falun Gong. He never recovered and passed away on October 11, 2022.

Related report:

Mr. Sun Yaoting Is Illegally Sentenced to Xinmi Men's Prison in Henan Province