Name: Liu HongxiaChinese Name: 刘红霞Gender: FemaleAge: 47City: DalianProvince: LiaoningOccupation: N/ADate of Death: November 8, 2022Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 28, 2021Most Recent Place of Detention: Xinhua Hospital

A 47-year-old Falun Gong practitioner who was denied medical parole despite her critical condition has died on November 8, 2022.

Ms. Liu Hongxia of Dalian City, Liaoning Province, was arrested on October 28, 2021, for putting up posters about Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999. She started a hunger strike on February 14, 2022 to protest the persecution.

When her lawyer went to visit her on February 28, he was told that she had been moved to Xinhua Hospital, which is associated with the Dalian City Detention Center and local prisons.

In the hospital, Ms. Liu was tied to a bed, force-fed, and injected with unknown drugs. She was denied all visits, including by her lawyer and family.

Judge Guo Danhua of Ganjingzi District Court tried Ms. Liu virtually and sentenced her to four years on July 13, six days after she was taken back to the detention center. No one in her family was allowed to attend the hearing. Her lawyer’s request to postpone the proceedings was also denied. Ms. Liu was so weak and emaciated that she couldn’t even sit up and slumped in her chair during the entire proceedings.

When her lawyer was finally given a pass to visit her after the trial, she couldn’t remember her hospital stay, but did know that she was force-fed and given the injection. Her lawyer appealed the case for her, but the higher court ruled in October to uphold the verdict.

Ms. Liu was admitted to Xinhua Hospital again in late August and was moved to an intensive care unit in late October. The doctors issued a critical condition notice for her. Her family applied for medical parole for her on October 25, but the Ganjingzi District Court and Dalian City Detention Center denied it.

Ms. Liu was extremely weak when her family was allowed to visit her on October 29. She began to bleed from her mouth and nose on November 4. Thinking that she would die in a few days, the doctor asked her family to bring her child to see her for the last time. The visit was monitored by a police officer. Ms. Liu passed away on the morning of November 8.

Related reports:

Wrongfully Convicted Woman in Critical Condition, Medical Parole Request Denied

Woman Suffers Memory Loss after Injection in Hospital, Sentenced to Four Years for Her Faith

Ailing Woman Faces Trial in the Hospital for Her Faith, Judge Obstructs Legal Representation