Chinese Name: 李翠萍Gender: FemaleAge: 73City: HefeiProvince: AnhuiOccupation: N/ADate of Death: Mid-December 2021Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 2021Most Recent Place of Detention: A brainwashing center

A Hefei City, Anhui Province resident was sentenced to three years and ten months shortly after her arrest in early September 2021 for practicing Falun Gong. Due to her poor health, the local prison refused to accept her. Ms. Li Cuiping’s health continued to deteriorate after she was ordered to serve time at home. She passed away in mid-December 2021, at the age of 73.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Li took up Falun Gong in 1997 and she credited the practice for curing her uterine cancer. Because she refused to renounce Falun Gong in the face of the persecution, she was arrested and detained several times, before finally succumbing to decades-long mental pressure. 

Ms. Li was first arrested in 2003 and sentenced to three years in Anhui Province Women’s Prison, where she was forced to do unpaid labor and watch videos defaming Falun Gong, and was beaten by the inmates in the same cell. 

She was arrested two more times, at 11 p.m. on July 20, 2007 at home, and on June 24, 2011, respectively, for talking to people about Falun Gong.

She was rejected admission by the local detention center after yet another arrest on January 2, 2020. Her home was ransacked and her Falun Gong books and related materials were confiscated. The police placed her on house arrest and came back several times to harass her.

Both Ms. Li and her son, Mr. Ma Shan, were arrested at home on November 3, 2020. Their home was ransacked and they were again put on house arrest. 

Ms. Li’s last arrest was in early September 2021 while withdrawing cash at a bank. She was held in a brainwashing center for two weeks and released when she was extremely weak. Not long after, she was ordered to appear in Shushan District Court on September 24. As she was too weak to walk on her own, several bailiffs carried her into the car and took her to the court. 

Ms. Li was later sentenced to three years and ten months. The prison refused to accept her due to her health condition. She returned home and passed away three months later.