Chinese Name: 李周文Gender: MaleAge: 75City: BaojiProvince: ShaanxiOccupation: Mechanical technicianDate of Death: November 2019Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 6, 2009Most Recent Place of Detention: Weinan Prison

Mr. Li Zhouwen, a mechanical technician in Baoji City, Shaanxi Province, died in November 2019, three years after he was tortured in prison for refusing to renounce his faith in Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999. He was 75 years old.

His wife, Ms. Zhang Gaixiu, was also persecuted to death after she was sentenced to four years for practicing Falun Gong. She died at the age of 57 on February 26, 2008. 

Both Husband and Wife Sentenced for Their Faith

Ms. Zhang had many illnesses in the past and was bedridden; she couldn’t take care of herself. She was introduced to Falun Gong in January 1997, and began practicing on March 8 that year. Within a month, she was able to get out of bed and take care of herself. Later, she could even work in the field. Seeing the changes in her, Mr. Li also started practicing Falun Gong.

After the Chinese communist regime launched a nationwide campaign against Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, the officers from Chenchun Police Station frequently harassed the couple for refusing to renounce Falun Gong.

The officers from Fengxiang County Domestic Security Division and Chenchun Police Station barged into the couple’s home on September 11, 2001. Without showing their IDs, they ransacked their home and confiscated all their Falun Gong books and materials. 

Mr. Li was taken to a place and detained there for 23 hours before being transferred to Chenchun Police Station, where he was ordered to sign some court-related documents. He was taken to the county detention center after signing the documents. He was beaten several times at the detention center for doing the Falun Gong meditation.

Mr. Li was later sentenced to seven years and his wife was sentenced to four years. As her old illnesses recurred due to the abuse in detention, she was allowed to serve time outside of prison.

Mr. Li was held at Zhuangli Prison between 2002 and 2005 and Weinan Prison during the rest of his prison term. He endured torture and brainwashing in both prisons, and was also forced to write guarantee statements renouncing his faith. 

Due to mental pressure from the persecution and discrimination from society, the couple’s son became hostile towards Falun Gong and he didn’t allow Mr. Li to freely leave home or talk to other Falun Gong practitioners after he was released in December 2007.

While Ms. Zhang was serving time outside of prison, the Public Security Bureau officers went to her home and harassed her every month. She became terrified and anxious, and developed a mental disorder. She died on February 26, 2008, at 57 years old.

Sentenced Again to 4.5 Years

The officers from Domestic Security Division and 610 Office continued to harass Mr. Li after he was released in 2007. As he refused to renounce his faith, the police arrested him on May 6, 2009, and held him in a government guesthouse until May 22, before taking him to the local detention center. He was subsequently sentenced to 4.5 years in Weinan Prison.

The two prison terms of 11 years caused tremendous mental damage to Mr. Li. His family experienced discrimination from society and also financial losses (Mr. Li used to make 10,000 yuan per month before being imprisoned).

When Mr. Li was released in 2016, he was incapacitated and couldn’t take care of himself. He passed away in November 2019.