(Minghui.org) Since the Chinese communist regime began to persecute Falun Gong in July 1999, Ms. Wu Xiaofeng of Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, has been repeatedly arrested for upholding her faith. She served two labor camp terms and was subjected to all kinds of torture. Her health quickly declined. For a period of time, she was mentally disordered, lost her ability to speak, and was incapacitated.

Taking Up Falun Gong

Ms. Wu was 22 when she started practicing Falun Gong in 1995. Before that, she had allergic purpura, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, and low back pain. She used to have severe nosebleeds and bloody patches on her chest. Her skin didn’t heal when it cracked. Because of the pain in her lower back, she had difficulty walking. Her poor health prevented her from attending college or finding a job.

A month after learning Falun Gong, the bloody patches disappeared completely, her nose stopped bleeding, and all her other ailments vanished. She was very healthy—until after the persecution started.

Arrested and Tortured for Appealing for Falun Gong

Ms. Wu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong on Tiananmen Square in November 2000. She was arrested and taken to the Tiananmen Square Police Station. She was asked her name and home address. When she refused to answer, the police slapped her with a hardcover book and handcuffed her so tightly that her arms swelled up. She was detained there for two days before being taken to a police station in the suburbs of Beijing.

In transit, Ms. Wu and other practitioners were put into a jeep and photographed. The police choked her when she resisted. Because she refused to tell them her address, they made her stand outside in the cold with very few clothes on. They also threatened to rape her if she did not cooperate with their interrogation.

Ms. Wu was transferred to Changping Police Station on the third day and held there for 11 days. She and another practitioner were forced to sleep on the wet cement floor near the toilet during that time.

First 1.5-year Labor Camp Term

Ms. Wu was arrested again on April 25, 2008, and had her home ransacked. She was detained in Harbin Detention Center for more than 30 days. When the guards force-fed her, her mouth and nose bled.

Ms. Wu was transferred to a labor camp on May 29 to serve a year and a half. She was shocked with electric batons and her use of the restroom was restricted. She was also forced to do unpaid labor during the day and stand up or sit on a small stool for long hours at night. The work she was forced to do included packing chopsticks and popsicle sticks and pulling weeds.

Torture Reenactment: Brutal force-feeding

Ms. Wu was released on October 29, 2009.

Second 1.5-year Labor Camp Term

Ms. Wu was arrested again on February 6, 2011. Her arms were injured during the arrest. The police officers then broke into her home and took her Falun Gong books.

When three officers tried to force Ms. Wu to fingerprint statements, they injured her arms and hands, causing them to swell for a long time. The intense labor in the labor camp aggravated the damage, and for a time she was unable to lift her arms. The work itself injured her finger joints.

Ms. Wu was transferred to Qianjin Forced Labor Camp to serve another 1.5-year term in March. In addition to the beatings, force-feedings, and other forms of torture, the guards also injected her with unknown drugs. As a result, she always saw something black in front of her. She felt sleepy, unfocused, and weak.

The guards electrically shocked her lower back and thighs, leaving her incapacitated and unable to talk. Her left arm was disabled and her right eye socket was purple.

Ms. Wu was also forced to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong and its founder. Because she refused to renounce Falun Gong, her term was extended by five days. She was released on August 10, 2012.

Tortured in Qianjin Forced Labor Camp

When Ms. Wu was first taken to the labor camp, despite the injuries to her arm, the prison doctor twisted her arm, saying it was necessary to examine her. When Ms. Wu shouted in pain, he continued to beat her. He also force-fed her and made her nose and mouth bleed. Sometimes he poked Ms. Wu’s mouth and throat when she refused to talk.

Ms. Wu was not allowed to use the toilet for a long time and wet her pants many times. Sometimes she had blood in her urine.

Once when she needed to have a bowel movement, the inmates appointed to watch her dragged her away so that she soiled her pants. She did not menstruate for a year and a half.

The inmates starved her. She lost about 40 pounds in a month and her weight dropped to about 100 pounds. By the time she was released, she only weighed about 80 pounds.

The inmates poked her hands with needles and squeezed and pinched her breasts. They stabbed her private parts with a walking stick multiple times. Occasionally, they pulled down her pants in front of people when she was walking outside. They even beat her naked and fractured her left rib.

The inmates spit in her food or mixed it with chicken or duck dung, spit in her face, stuffed restroom trash or rags into her mouth, slapped her face with their shoes, beat her with a shovel used to move pig manure, put caterpillar or dung beetles in her clothes, or put dead mice into her mouth.

On several occasions, they grabbed Ms. Wu by her hair and banged her head against the wall, water pipes, and chairs, leaving her with a bloody mouth and nose. Other times, they pushed her down when she was changing clothes in the bathroom. As a result, she fell and injured her head. Sometimes they forced her to stand all night.

When Ms. Wu was taken to the prison clinic, the guards stopped the doctor from taking a CT scan. The doctor stitched up her head without anesthesia and removed the stitches before the wound was completely healed. This caused Ms. Wu to unconsciously lean to one side.

Sometimes the inmates pushed Ms. Wu so that she would fall. On one occasion, she was pushed down the stairs from the second floor.

The inmates often poured filthy water on her clothes and into her shoes. After a while, her toenails developed a fungal infection and started to fall off. The bones of her feet deformed and stuck out.

One time, the inmates hit her eyes until they were bloodshot and bruised. On another occasion, they force-fed her brine.

They did not give Ms. Wu a quilt in winter or let her wear her own warm clothes. The guards often forced her to stand outdoors or near opened windows indoors to let the cold wind blow on her. This caused her to suffer severe neck and back pain. The other inmates took the food her family sent her.

Most of the time the guards instigated the inmates to torture Ms. Wu, but they sometimes tortured her themselves. Team captain Wang Min beat her and pushed her down at least two times, loosening her front teeth.

Guard Liu Chang kicked her in the ribs. The pain was so bad that Ms. Wu could not even shout. Liu also grabbed her hair and banged her head on the wall. Ms. Wu protected her head with her right hand, and her right index finger was injured. This led to hyperplasia of her index finger.

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution