(Minghui.org) A Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province resident was held in solitary confinement for a week in late December 2020 for protesting against the persecution while serving time for his faith in Falun Gong.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party since 1999. In the past 22 years, countless practitioners have been arrested, harassed, detained, sentenced, and tortured for upholding their faith. Many were killed for their organs to supply the transplant industry in China.

Mr. Gong Wenyi, 58, was seized at his apartment at around 6 a.m. during a massive police sweep of 119 practitioners on November 9, 2018.

The Daowai Court in Harbin held a secret trial of him at the local detention center on December 12, 2018. No family members, relatives, or friends were notified. Mr. Gong defended himself, explaining what Falun Gong is and stating that freedom of belief is protected by the Chinese Constitution.

The judge sentenced him to nine years and he was transferred to the Hulan Prison on January 28, 2019. He was held in the tenth ward.

Between September and October 2019, Mr. Gong was held in solitary confinement for three months for listening to a MP3 player.

Because he refused to wear the inmate uniform, he was taken back to solitary confinement again on December 19, 2020. The guards held his hands behind his back while taking him away. He shouted “Falun Dafa is good” to protest.

Mr. Gong held a hunger strike for a week and was let out of solitary confinement a week later.

Prior to his latest prison term, Mr. Gong was given two labor camp terms in the early years of the persecution. He was hung up for 12 days by a labor camp guard in the summer of 2001. His body swelled up and was covered with scabies as a result of the torture.

In 2002, he was twice held in strict management and subjected to intensive persecution. He held a hunger strike to protest the persecution, and was taken to the hospital and force fed.

Mr. Gong was arrested one more time on December 31, 2011. The police made five attempts to send him to a labor camp, but the guards refused to accept him due to his health condition.

Related reports:

Heilongjiang Province: Man Given Nine Years for His Belief in Falun Gong

119 Falun Gong Practitioners Arrested in Two Heilongjiang Province Cities in One Day

Twelve Falun Gong Practitioners Sentenced to Prison in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution