Falun Dafa Minghui.org www.minghui.org PRINT

Inner Mongolian Woman Imprisoned Five Years for Her Faith

Feb. 20, 2021 |   By a Minghui correspondent in Inner Mongolia, China

(Minghui.org) During the past two decades, a Holingol City, Inner Mongolia resident has been arrested twice, given two and a half years of forced labor, detained in brainwashing centers twice, had her home raided twice, and harassed multiple times–all for refusing to renounce her faith in Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Following her latest arrest on August 13, 2014, Ms. Li Ping was sentenced to five years in prison and tortured to force her to renounce Falun Gong. Below are the details of her latest persecution.

Arrest and Detention

Ms. Li, 57, was stopped by police and arrested at the entrance of her apartment building on the morning of August 13, 2014. The police interrogated her in a small dark room in the basement of the local police department, but she refused to cooperate.

The police ransacked her home that afternoon. They confiscated her Falun Gong books, a computer, two printers, more than 7,000 yuan in cash, and other belongings.

She was taken to the local detention center later in the day and detained there through the winter. She was interrogated multiple times but never gave in. When she went on a hunger strike for five days to protest the persecution, the guards punished her by leaving her in a cold room. An inmate was assigned to watch her.

Li Bu, the head of the Domestic Security Division, tried to force Ms. Li to cooperate with him for a TV program to slander Falun Gong. She refused to comply.

Sentence and Imprisonment

Ms. Li appeared in the Holingol City Court eight times between December 2014 and May 2015 before being sentenced to five years in prison. Before she was taken to the prison, she went on a hunger strike for nine days. The director of the detention center ordered the guards to tie her up to a “death bed” for one day.

Ms. Li was transferred to Hohhot Women's Prison with her hands and feet chained together on October 19, 2015. She was first put in a group where steadfast Falun Gong practitioners were treated especially harshly to force them to renounce their faith. An inmate was assigned to follow and monitor her. This lasted for a year. Nonetheless, Ms. Li didn’t compromise, and she also refused to do the labor work since she broke no laws and was not a criminal. She later found out that the guards had instructed inmates to mix unknown drugs into her food.

On one occasion, when Ms. Li and another imprisoned Falun Gong practitioner were talking in the hallway, a prison guard spotted them and scolded them. Later, the guard went through Ms. Li's luggage and took away the notes she wrote to document her persecution.

Two days before her release, a guard saw her doing the Falun Gong exercises and punished her by making her sit on a small stool in the hallway for nine hours.

Related reports:

A Trial That Should Never Have Taken Place

Lawyers Object to Illegal Proceedings, Court Adjourns

Third Trial in Same Court Ends Up with Same Outcome