(Minghui.org) In Ms. Yan Erxin’s 53 years, she has had only one year of happiness and peace. She almost died on the third day after she was born. She suffered unknown diseases in her early adulthood and become paralyzed at age 28 after an accident. She wanted to put her miserable life to an end, but a book changed her life. Despite the hardships she endured, she believes that she is one of the luckiest persons in the world.

Early Life Full of Ordeals

Ms. Yan was born in 1968. She stopped nursing on the third day after birth. An abscess grew on her buttocks and the pus oozing out filled up a bowl. Her body was getting cold. Her mother believed she was dead and told her father to bury her the next day. The next day, her father found that her body was warm and she was still alive!

Since she was little, Ms. Yan had grain-sized pimples on her body which itched so much that she couldn’t sleep at night. Her parents tried many different treatments, including folk remedies, but she didn’t get any better. When she was around ten years old, several times she was on the verge of death at night and then somehow came back to life. Her parents took her to the hospital, but the doctor had no clue. When she was around 17, she developed lymphatic tuberculosis on her neck. She had surgery but the incision did not heal for a long time. Two years later, she developed lung tuberculosis.

It was only when Ms. Yan got married that her health improved. However, the marriage didn’t change her sad fate. Her husband often abused her and beat her. Once when they were not far from home, her husband kicked her to the ground and dragged her home by one leg. She couldn’t bear it any longer and grabbed a bottle of pesticide. Just when she was about to drink it, her husband caught her and took away the bottle. Her husband stopped abusing her afterwards, fearing she would commit suicide.

However, the suffering did not end here. In July 1997, when she was helping her parents spray insecticides on the fruit trees, she fell to the ground and was paralyzed. She had seven steel plates surgically placed in her spine and became incontinent afterwards. She was hospitalized for more than two weeks and spent more than 10,000 yuan.

Her mother-in-law was unhappy all day long, and even urged her husband to divorce her. Her husband was also unhappy. If it were not for a kind-hearted elder who persuaded her husband, the family would have long fallen apart. While she was bedridden, her mother helped wash and clean her. Her 5-year-old daughter also watched over her every day and cleaned up for her. She struggled to live on only for the sake of her child.

One year later, Ms. Yan recovered enough to walk on crutches. She could kneel to cook simple meals. Then another ordeal came.

One day in June 1998, her husband accidentally fell from a tree, but his injuries were minor. After resting for a few days, he went out of town to work. When he was sitting on a motorized tricycle, somehow he was squeezed to a pole which crushed his soft ribs on one side. He couldn’t afford to see a doctor, and had to push through the pain.

This was the last straw. Looking at her injured husband, her young child, and herself on double crutches, Ms. Yan was in great pain. She was filled with sadness and desperation. She couldn’t take it any more and asked her husband to take her to her mother’s home.

The Turning Point of Her Life

Due to her resolute attitude, her husband reluctantly took her back. But her mother was not at home at the time. A neighbor told Ms. Yan that her mother had gone to someone’s home to watch Falun Gong lecture videos. She went to find her mother and also watched the videos.

She finished watching the whole series of nine lectures in nine days, and bought the book Zhuan Falun, the main teachings of Falun Gong. She told her mother, “This is a Buddha school practice. It is great!”

Ms. Yan stayed at her mother’s home for two weeks, reading the book and doing Falun Gong’s five sets of meditative exercises. She understood the reasons behind all the hardships she had, and was clear on what she should do in the future.

With a cheerful mood, she returned to her own home. Witnessing such positive changes in her, her husband and daughter were very supportive of her practicing Falun Gong. Her husband went out to work and she took care of the family and the farm field alone. Their life was getting better each day.

Ms. Yan was grateful that she had the chance to learn Falun Gong. She said she was blessed, and was one of the luckiest persons in the world. Her mother said with relief, “Now I can rest assured. You are in the hands of your Master.”

Detained and Harassed for Upholding Her Faith

Ms. Yan’s life was turned upside down again after the Chinese Communist Party started the persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999.

One day in February 2000, three agents from Shenxing Town government broke into Ms. Yan’s home and searched everywhere without a search warrant. They confiscated four Falun Gong books, one Falun Gong exercises music tape, and some informational materials.

A few days later, another two agents broke into her home and took her away. Zhao Yuxia, the chief of Domestic Security Office, interrogated her and slapped her in the face until her face became numb. Another officer threatened her, “If you dare to continue practicing Falun Gong, I will put you on a tiger bench.” Ms. Yan was taken to a detention center that same night.

Two days later, the police interrogated and videotaped her again. One asked her why she practiced Falun Gong and promised to release her as long as she gave up her faith. Ms. Yan told them her experience and her determination not to give it up.

Another day Zhao Yuxia came to the detention center and asked Ms. Yan, “Do you miss your family?”

She replied, “Sure, especially my baby boy. He is only nine months old.”

Right after she finished speaking, Zhao slapped her in the face twice. Ms. Yan went on a hunger strike to protest the persecution. Eight days later she was released, after her family paid 2,000 yuan, half to the town government and half to the detention center, with no receipt.

The harassment didn’t stop after she returned home. The agents from different levels of government, including township, county, city, to provincial, often broke into her home without a search warrant.

In 2015, Ms. Yan filed lawsuit against Jiang Zemin, the former head of the Chinese Communist Party who launched the persecution. Soon two officials from the town government came to her home and threatened her not to file any lawsuit again.

Police officers and government agents have been showing up at her home every year since 2019 to videotape her without her consent. Ms. Yan couldn’t understand that before she practiced Falun Gong, no matter how miserable and difficult her life was, no one from the government ever cared about her. Now after she regained her health and enjoyed a harmonious family life, government agents constantly harass her and attempt to force her to give up her faith.