(Minghui.org) The owner of an inflatable boat company in Weihai, a coastal city in Shandong Province, was sentenced to eight years for her faith in Falun Gong. As Ms. Sun Jing was refused admission to a local detention center due to her high blood pressure, the police threatened to reevaluate her health in February 2022 to determine whether she would be imprisoned.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Sun began to practice Falun Gong in July 2015. She runs an inflatable boat company with over 30 employees. The police broke into her home and factory on the morning of January 6, 2021 and searched both places. Her Falun Gong books, photo of Falun Gong’s founder, computer and printer were confiscated. All of her employees were forced to turn in their cellphones to the police and were not allowed to call anyone or receive any calls. The police followed them when they used the restroom or had lunch. They weren’t allowed to leave until evening.

Ms. Sun, her sister, who doesn’t practice Falun Gong, and three of her employees were taken to the police station for interrogation. Her sister and the three employees also had their homes ransacked. Ms. Sun and her sister were later taken to the Rongcheng City Detention Center. 

Prior to being admitted, a nurse measured Ms. Sun’s blood pressure three times and found it was at a dangerously high level. In order to detain her, the police changed her systolic pressure from over 200 mmHg to 190 mmHg. 

Ms. Sun was transferred to the Wendeng District Detention Center two months later. Due to poor living conditions and mental distress from the persecution, she became depressed and her blood pressure remained very high. She was released on bail on March 21, 2021, after 76 days of detention. 

Ms. Sun’s lawyer went to her home on December 3, 2021, connected to a video conference with the Rongcheng City Court, and went through a hearing of her case. The police returned on December 17 and took her for a physical examination. As the detention center still refused to admit her due to high blood pressure, the police had to take her home. 

When the police took Ms. Sun to the court for the sentencing hearing on December 21, she was too dizzy to get out of the car. The judge then came to the car and announced that she was sentenced to eight years.

Ms. Sun was taken back home afterwards. The police said they would take her for another physical examination in February 2022.

It’s not clear whether her sister is still detained or facing prosecution.