Chinese Name: 刘淑琴Gender: FemaleAge: in her 70sCity: FuyuProvince: Jilin Occupation: N/ADate of Death: May 6, 2021Date of Most Recent Arrest: August 3, 2019Most Recent Place of Detention: Xiaojia Police Station

After the Chinese communist regime ordered the eradication of Falun Gong, a traditional spiritual and meditation discipline, in China in July 1999, Ms. Liu Shuqin, a Fuyu City, Jilin Province resident, was repeatedly arrested, harassed and detained. She was given two labor camp terms and was subjected to constant beatings and abuse. The mental distress took a toll on her health. She suffered a brain hemorrhage and passed away on May 6, 2021. She was in her 70s.

Ms. Liu developed duodenal ulcer in her 20s and couldn’t eat much. She was always starving and had a bad temper due to her physical discomfort. At 47, she had lumbar disc herniation and couldn’t work anymore. Shortly after she took up Falun Gong in 1996, she completely recovered and was full of energy.

Her happy life didn’t last long, though, as the communist regime ordered the brutal persecution three years later. 

In April 2002, Ms. Liu was arrested and held at the Fuyu City Detention Center. She suffered a stroke and was unable to talk. Not wanting to bear responsibility for her condition, the detention center guard assigned to watch her quietly left the hospital. Ms. Liu was taken back home by her family. She resumed practicing Falun Gong and soon recovered.

Ms. Liu was reported to the police for talking to her relative about Falun Gong and was arrested again in August 2002. She was given one year at Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp. As she refused to write the statement to renounce Falun Gong, she was beaten. She fainted, yet the guards continued to beat her after she came to. Her body was covered in bruises. Seven days after the beating, she was ordered to start doing forced labor.

During her one-year labor camp term, in addition to the intensive forced labor, Ms. Liu was subjected to constant beatings, long hours of standing, and electric shocks. 

In October 2003, only two months after she was released, she was arrested one more time and taken to the Changchun Brainwashing Center. The guards beat and kicked her. They grabbed her hair and slammed her head against the wall. Her hands swelled after the guards beat her with their shoes. After her leg was injured from being kicked, the guards forced her to sit with her legs crossed. The torture lasted almost every day, from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., during the one month she was held there.

Ms. Liu was targeted one more time in a police sweep in July 2008. She was given another unknown term at the Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp. 

The police scaled the fence and broke into Ms. Liu’s home on the evening of September 13, 2018. She wasn’t home and escaped arrest. 

Her last arrest was on August 3, 2019, while she was on a bus. Police Chief Zhang Xiao and officer Yao Chuntao of the Xiaojia Police Station took her off the bus and took her to the police station. They searched her body and her home, but didn’t find Falun Gong-related materials. She was released in the afternoon. 

The mental pressure from the ongoing persecution took a toll on Ms. Liu’s health. She suffered a brain hemorrhage and passed away on May 6, 2021.