(Minghui.org) A woman in Tangyuan County, Heilongjiang Province experienced sudden chest pain hours after she was arrested in April 2020 for her faith in Falun Gong. Ms. Liu Fengyun was later sentenced to two years and ordered to serve time at home. Her condition kept worsening and she passed away on July 22, 2021.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Liu was followed and arrested by the police when she put up posters about Falun Gong on the early morning of April 25, 2020. At the local police station, Guan Jingquan of Domestic Security Office demanded to know her name and address. She initially refused to disclose her information, but later relented after officer Wang Lizhao threatened that they had ways to find out her identity whether she told them or not.

A dozen officers ransacked Ms. Liu’s home and confiscated her Falun Gong books and over 500 copies of Falun Gong booklets.

After taking Ms. Liu back to the police station, the police kept her in a small room, where she began to feel tightness in her chest. The pain was excruciating and she couldn’t stop crying. She was taken to the hospital and found to have myocardial infarction. Instead of seeking further treatment for her, the police took her back to the police station, where they resumed their interrogation. They also took her photos and collected her fingerprints before releasing her at around 11 p.m.

A few days later, officers Guan and Wang returned to Ms. Liu’s home for another round of interrogation. They also videotaped her. Meanwhile, Zhang Yiyuan of the residential committee came and ordered Ms. Liu to write a statement to renounce Falun Gong. She refused to comply.

The police came again months later. They returned her confiscated electric motorcycle and computer and revealed that they had submitted her case to the procuratorate.

The prosecutor called Ms. Liu’s family two weeks later and summoned her. Ms. Liu went to the procuratorate and was asked to sign a house arrest document. The prosecutor was holding another piece of document about her case in hand, but he refused to explain what it was when she asked about it.

Shortly after, two staff members from the Xiangyang District Procuratorate came to Ms. Liu’s home and asked her family member to write a renouncing statement to give up Falun Gong on her behalf.

The staff members came back a week later and continued to order Ms. Liu to write the renouncing statement. She refused to comply.

The prosecutor later indicted Ms. Liu and forwarded her case to the Xiangyang District Court. The presiding judge sentenced her to two years with a 5,000 yuan fine. The sentencing date wasn’t clear.

The judge told Ms. Liu that he had submitted her case to the provincial prison administration bureau. She was allowed to serve time at home, but only for six months at most. He indicated that it’s up to the bureau to decide when and where she should go for a physical examination to determine whether she would be healthy enough to be admitted to prison.

Ms. Liu suffered constant chest pain upon returning home. She was very weak and couldn’t even lift a basin of water. She also suffered a persistent fever. She was admitted to the hospital on July 21, 2021 and died there on the next day. She was 56.