(Minghui.org) I began practicing Falun Dafa, also called Falun Gong, in 1996, and I am 76 years old. 

Growing Up In a Hostile Environment

I was born in a small town in Hebei Province in the 1940s. Our family was wealthy and they were upright and kind people. My grandfather hired many people to work for our family. He treated everyone with respect and kindness.

When the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) seized power in 1949, our family's properties and assets were confiscated. We were discriminated against and isolated.

Even when we moved to Northeastern China, our situation did not change. The Cultural Revolution broke out when I began to work, and no matter how well I performed my job, I was not promoted because of my political background. I felt ashamed and had low self-esteem.

My health began to deteriorate at a young age. I passed out one day when I was 22. It took me an hour to wake up. Later on, I came down with more illnesses, including kidney stones, gall bladder stones, neck pain, heart disease, and hypertension. I was hospitalized every year, and took tons of medication. I went to the most famous hospital in Beijing, but nothing provided relief.

I retired at 40 due to my poor health. Each night I went to bed, I did not know whether I would wake up the next day.

Taking Up Falun Dafa

My sister introduced Falun Dafa to me in 1996, when I was 53 years old. She taught me the exercise movements. They were gentle, slow, and graceful.

Later, my sister mailed me the book Zhuan Falun. I began reading the Fa and did the exercises daily. I saw Master Li's law body whenever I was doing the exercises. I knew that Falun Dafa was a true Buddhist cultivation. 

After a period of practicing, the changes in me were amazing. I was full of energy and could carry heavy loads without a problem.

I had a large house, allowing me to start a group Fa-study. We had over 50 people on a daily basis. My husband always heated the room in the winter before everyone came. Others wanted to help us pay for the coal, I told them that Master granted me the opportunity to help others, so I would not take a penny from them.

Some people who just started the practice sometimes caused a mess in my home. Initially, I felt upset about it. But, my sister reminded me that I need to broaden my heart and remove my attachment to filth. I was able to face the situation with a more calm mind.

I visited my daughter after the 1997 New Year. Her apartment was on the third floor, but the stairs were outdoors. When I went downstairs, I slipped on the icy stairs and fell from the second floor all the way to the ground. I passed out and was taken to a hospital. The exam did not show a fracture, but I could not move, and the pain was excruciating.

I remembered what Master said:

“Debts have to be settled. So on your cultivation path some dangerous things might happen. But when these things happen you won’t be scared, and we won’t let you get into real danger.” (The Third Talk, Zhuan Falun)

I knew I would be fine since I am a cultivator. I recovered after ten days of exercising and Fa-study.

I returned to my home in the summer of 1997. Since I had a large house, I stored Falun Dafa books that supplied the entire city and nearby two counties. One day, I received three containers of books, and each weighed one ton. I carried them to the place where I kept them by myself. My sister was shocked! They were stacked up high in the room. How did I do it? I knew Master helped me.

Validating Falun Dafa in Beijing

The communist regime's officials began to investigate every practitioner at our exercise site in May 1999.

Beginning with July 20, 1999, practitioners were arrested. We decided to go to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Dafa. My sister and I and several practitioners went to a nearby county to take the bus to Tianjin and took another bus to Beijing.

Shortly after we left, my 75-year-old mother called me, told us that our home was ransacked, and the police were looking for me. I decided to stay in Beijing.

We all had a strong wish to stop the persecution soon. It happened that the United Nations Secretary was visiting Beijing. We prepared some materials about Falun Dafa and planned to hand them over to the UN Secretary. But we didn’t succeed.

Two practitioners and I went to the National Appeals Office in January 2000. As soon as the staff found out we were Falun Dafa practitioners, they asked us to fill out a form. After we were done, we were taken to the police station, and then transferred to the detention center. One of the practitioners we met at the police station was later persecuted to death.

The detention center was extremely crowded. The bathroom was just a hole in the ground, at the corner of the room. It was awfully filthy. If I did not practice Falun Gong, I don't think I could have endured it.

Among the 17 people in the cell, 14 were Falun Dafa practitioners. When the guards found out that we did the Dafa exercises, we were all taken to somewhere else in the center, and cuffed for two days. One practitioner fed all of us and helped us go to the bathroom.

I brought a copy of Hong Yin with me when I was taken to the detention center. While everyone was strip-searched when we arrived, a guard let me go when it was my turn. I was able to keep the book. I studied and memorized the Fa with fellow practitioners. The Fa strengthened my righteous thoughts. I was released one month later. 

Letting Go of Fear and Distributing Dafa Informational Materials

I purchased a house in the city near my daughter in 2003. We hired construction workers to remodel the house, which took three months to complete. I knew it was a very tiring job, so I cooked meat for them. They were moved and told me that nobody ever cared for them as I did. I told them about Falun Dafa and the persecution. I also urged them to quit the CCP and its youth organizations. They all agreed! I won their trust by being kind and sincere.

One time, a fellow practitioner gave me seven copies of Dafa informational materials to distribute. I walked over two hours and did not give out any. I felt someone was watching me no matter where I was. My mouth was dry and my legs were shaking.

I studied the Fa all day the next day and went out the second night. I spent another three hours and still came home with the materials. When I went out the third time, I saw a police car at my door. I was so scared and turned around immediately. I realized that if I did not study the Fa well, I would have xinxing problems.

When I was reading Essentials for Further Advancement, each word beamed with golden light. I knew Master was encouraging me. I needed to catch up with the pace of Fa-rectification and overcome my fear. 

Initially, I was still not quite steady in my mind, so I asked Master to reinforce my righteous thoughts. Gradually, I could go out without feeling fear. I kept reminding myself to have righteous thoughts, and things became smoother with less interference. I felt Master was with me every step of the way when I was out and about. 

Amazing Cultivation Stories

Back then, I used an envelope to hold the materials. When I was distributing the materials the sky was covered with dark clouds, and a thunderstorm was coming my way. I asked Master to help me protect the materials. It turned out that everywhere was a downpour except the area where I distributed the materials! Thank you, Master!

Once I got lost after I finished at around 11:00 p.m. I did not carry any cash on me. I asked Master that I needed guidance to find my home. I walked on and when I raised my head, I was at my home!

Another time, I was followed by a tall and strong plainclothes agent. I thought, “You cannot catch up with me.” Indeed, he was never able to catch up with me!

(To be continued)

(Presented during The 16th Online China Falun Dafa Cultivation Experience Sharing Conference on Minghui.org)