(Minghui.org) A 76-year-old man in Dalian City appeared in court on October 24, 2017 to face charges that he “used a cult to undermine law enforcement,” a standard pretext used by the Chinese communist regime in its attempt to frame and imprison practitioners of Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline based on the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance.

Mr. Liu Xiyong was sentenced to three years in prison and given a copy of the verdict on November 10. He noted that the verdict was dated September 19, more than one month before his October court date. He vowed to appeal, as no law in China criminalizes Falun Gong.

Prior to Mr. Liu’s trial, chief Zhou of the local Shihe Police Station tried four times to get Mr. Liu detained, but the local detention center declined to take the elderly man, citing his poor health condition.

It is unclear whether Mr. Liu is still out on bail or has been taken back into custody following his sentencing.

Police Attempt to Get Mr. Liu Detained

Mr. Liu’s latest prison sentence stemmed from his arrest on February 26, 2017. Two officers seized him on that day after seeing him distributing materials exposing the persecution of Falun Gong. They interrogated him for more than an hour at the Shihe Police Station. Chief Zhou then brought him back to his home, where they confiscated three Falun Gong books. Zhou warned Mr. Liu to never distribute Falun Gong materials again and left without taking Mr. Liu with him.

Chief Zhou returned on March 1 and asked Mr. Liu to go to the police station to sign a statement admitting that the three confiscated Falun Gong books belonged to him. Zhou promised to send Mr. Liu back home as soon as soon the latter gave his signature.

Zhou, however, didn’t keep his promise and drove Mr. Liu to Jinzhou Hospital for a medical examination. He next drove Mr. Liu to the Sanli Detention Center, which declined to take the elderly man due to his poor health condition. Zhou released Mr. Liu on bail after his daughter paid 5,000 yuan.

Zhou came back at Mr. Liu in July and took him to the same hospital for another medical examination. Still, the Sanli Detention Center refused to admit Mr. Liu after reading his medical report. Zhou brought Mr. Liu back to the hospital for more testing, but the detention center was firm they were not going to take someone in such a health condition.

Mr. Liu was summoned to the Jinzhou District Procuratorate on August 14. Two people there interrogated him, but they failed to specify which law he broke. Mr. Liu refused to sign the interrogation record.

Zhou showed up at Mr. Liu’s home two days later and drove him to the hospital. For a fourth time, the Sanli Detention Center was not convinced that Mr. Liu was healthy enough to be detained there.

Mr. Liu was called to the Jinzhou District Court on August 17 and given a copy of his indictment there. He refused to sign the indictment.

The endless harassment has taken a toll on Mr. Liu’s health. He began to suffer from high blood pressure, heart ailments, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue.

Court Claims Trial Would be Just Going Through Motions

Mr. Liu’s daughter received a phone call from the Jinzhou District Court in mid-October 2017 and was told that her father’s court date was set for October 24. They said the hearing would be just going through motions and they wouldn’t sentence him to prison because they knew he had serious health problems.

Mr. Liu defended himself during the trial. Judge Ding Jiaojiao refused to accept the documents Mr. Liu prepared to prove that there was no legal basis to charge him for his faith. She adjourned the session and told him, “Go home. Don’t ever come here again.”

Ding convicted Mr. Liu soon afterwards and gave him a copy of the verdict on November 10. Mr. Liu noted that the verdict was dated September 19, weeks before his hearing.

Past Incarcerations for His Faith

Mr. Liu’s latest conviction was preceded by repeated arrests and incarceration in the past for his faith.

He was first arrested in April 2002 and given two years of forced labor. He was brutally tortured at Dalian Labor Camp, where he was once made to lie on a bed spread-eagle for more than 40 straight days.

Police came at him again on April 24, 2006. He went on a protest hunger strike at the local detention center but was beaten by the guards and force-fed unknown drugs that made his abdomen swell.

Mr. Liu’s third arrest took place on July 24, 2008, after which he was later given 3.5 years in prison.

Judge Ding Jiaojiao: +86-411-87786086

Shihe Police Station: +86-411-87260219