(Minghui.org) Mr. Yang Xuegui, a Falun Gong practitioner in Lanzhou City, was arrested by police from the Chengguan District Domestic Security Division on September 14, 2016, for hanging up a banner with information about Falun Gong. He was taken to the Xiguoyuan Detention Center.

The Chengguan District Procuratorate approved his arrest on October 24 and the police submitted his case to the procuratorate on November 15.

Mr. Yang and fellow practitioner Mr. Zhou Wei were recorded by a surveillance camera as they hung the banner next to the Donggang Overpass on September 14. The police arrested Mr. Yang, but Mr. Zhou managed to escape. He was arrested five days later.

Mr. Yang's attorney visited him at the detention center on October 8.

On October 10, his attorney asked the Domestic Security Division to have the police withdraw Mr. Yang's case and release him. He stated that Mr. Yang had not broken any law or harmed society by hanging up a Falun Gong banner. He also pointed out that there is no element of crime in the charge “undermining law enforcement using a cult organization,” which is a standard pretext used by the Chinese communist regime to illegally arrest and sentence Falun Gong practitioners.

The attorney wrote a legal opinion and Mr. Yang's mother delivered it to the Domestic Security Division that day.

Incarcerated for Eight Years

Mr. Yang, 51, worked at the Lanzhou No. 2 People's Hospital. He was secretly sentenced to eight years in prison at the end of August 2002. He was incarcerated in Linxia Prison and later in Lanzhou Prison.

Mr. Yang's mother went to the Domestic Security Division and the Procuratorate several times to ask for his release. His family, including his mother and his two brothers, were constantly harassed.

After Mr. Yang was released, Chengguan District 610 Office staff continued to harass him. He had to leave home to avoid further persecution. After he found a temporary job in Wuwei City, Gao Lina, the head of the 610 Office, learned it via a tapped phone and instructed the police to arrest Mr. Yang. Because of the surveillance, Mr. Yang could no longer stay in touch with family.

Recovered from Unknown Illness

Before Mr. Yang started to practice Falun Gong, he had come down with an unknown illness in 1995, which made him so weak that he became bedridden. Always cold, he had to wear a heavy coat even in summer. He tried all kinds of treatments but nothing helped.

Mr. Yang learned about Falun Gong in 1996 from his neighbor. He watched a Falun Gong lecture video and 20 days later, he had recovered from his illness and returned to work. He also gave up bad habits such as smoking, drinking, and playing mahjong. His relationship with his wife also improved.

Parties involved in the persecution of Mr. Yang:Gao Lina (高丽娜), director, Chengguan District 610 Office: +86-13919366270 (c)Chen Zhikai (陈志凯), chief, Chengguan District Domestic Security Division: +86-13399317327Hou Xiaoqi (侯效岐), deputy head, Gansu Province Politics and Legal Affairs Committee: +86-931-8288271, +86-13919958885

Related articles:Mr. Zhou Wei Arrested for Hanging up a Falun Gong Banner