(Minghui.org) Ms. Li Fangfang and Mr. Tong Haibo from Shenyang City were arrested on November 4, 2013, for trying to help fellow Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhu Lanying, and their case submitted to the local Procuratorate.

After Ms. Zhu was arrested by officers from the Hunhewan Police Branch Station, in Heping District, Shenyang City, on the afternoon of October 14, 2013, her family went to the station to seek some answers the next day.

Ms. Zhu's husband, who is disabled, went to the police station with their non-practitioner daughter, Zhang Chunnan, who has a newborn child less than a month old. No one would give them any information. Instead, they were told to sign a detention notice that stated that police had detained Ms. Zhu for "undermining the implementation of law by using an illegal organization." She was taken to the Shenyuan City Detention Center and is scheduled to be tried.

Authorities Pass the Buck, Assault Ms. Zhu's Daughter and Friend

Ms. Zhu's daughter, Ms. Zhang, went to the police station again a month later, on November 14, to see about her mother, and was told that the Domestic Security Division and Procuratorate were in charge. But the Domestic Security Division and Procuratorate told her that the Hunhewan Police Station was in charge.

Feeling utterly helpless, Ms. Zhang returned to the police station later that morning with Ms. Li Fanfang and Ms. Zhou Guoqing. With her mother in such dire circumstances and no law enforcement agency willing to claim responsibility, Ms. Zhang began to cry.

To get rid of her, officer Guo Hongwei pushed her out of the station. Ms. Li Fanfang intervened and tried to stop Guo. Guo and another police officer struck Ms. Li, pulled her hair, dragged her into the police station, and detained her.

Family Members Go to the Police Station to Help Ms. Li Fanfang

Someone called Ms. Li's brother, Li Yang, and told him that his sister had been beaten for no reason, and was now detained at the Hunhewan Police Branch Station. He rushed to the station to find out what happened, and dialed the emergency number “110” many times as he stood there to report the incident. He called inspectors of the city police department and the Heping Police Branch Department, but with no results.

Officers Wang Juntao, Mu Liangbo, and Guo Hongwei treated him rudely and refused to handle the problem. Ms. Li's parents, who are both in their seventies, soon arrived at the station. Ms. Li's mother, Ms. Yang Shuqing, heard her daughter in the police station yelling for help as she was being hit. Mr. Li believed his sister's very life was in danger. He continued to call “110” for help, but in vain.

Protest in Front of the Police Station

Incensed by what had happened to his sister, Mr. Li discussed it with his colleagues at work who made protest signs. Ms. Li's mother and daughter and Ms. Zhou Guiqin made banners that said, "Who gives policeman Guo Hongwei the right to beat citizens?" and "Hunhewan Police Station, a law-enforcement agency, violates the law by beating citizens. Where is the justice in this?”

They stood in front of the police station at around 4:00 p.m., holding the banners, and attracted the attention of hundreds of people who passed by. There was a great deal of discussion about the incident.

Wholesale Arrests

Wang Juntao and other officers charged out of the station, snatched the banners, and tore them up. In the middle of all the shouting, Ms. Zhou Guiqin, who is in her seventies, shouted "Falun Dafa is good!" The police arrested Ms. Zhou, Mr. Li Yang, Mr. Tong Haibo, Ms. Yang Shuqing, Ms. Zhang Chunnan, Mr. He Gang, and his colleague, Ms. Liu Yanling, who does not practice Falun Gong. Ms. Zhang was later released.

The police arrested another colleague of Mr. Tong's, Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Feng Baoxiang, on the evening of November 14, 2013.

Mr. Tong's wife, Ms. Jiang, who does not practice Falun Gong, was arrested by Jinzhou City police and brought back to Shenyang City late on November 15, 2013.

Property Seized

Hunhewan Police Station tried to submit the case in connection with the Shenyun City Police Department and 610 Office. They dispatched ten police officers to investigate Ms. Lin Fangfang, Mr. Tong Haibo, Ms. Yang Shuqing, Mr. Feng Baoxiang, Mr. He Gang, and Ms. Zhou Guiqin.

The police searched Ms. Liu Yanling's residence and Mr. Li Yang's company offices, and seized a large number of personal belongings at the residence. From Mr. Li's workplace, they took six computers, company office equipment, legal documents, and commercial accounting paperwork.

Several Released, Two Still Detained and Charged

Ms. Yang and Ms. Zhou were released on bail on the evening of November 15, 2013, after being detained for nearly 30 hours. Mr. Li's colleague, Ms. Liu Yanling, was also released on bail. Mr. Li's company property was returned when it was found to have nothing to do with Falun Gong.

Mr. Li Yang, Mr. Tong Haibo, Mr. He Gang, and Mr. Feng Baoxiang were held in Heping District Detention Center. Ms. Li Fangfang and Mr. Tong Haibo's wife were illegally detained in Shenyang City Detention Center. The Shenyang City 610 Office is directly involved in this incident. They interrogated the arrested victims with the police many times.

Tong Haibo's wife was released on November 27, 2013, but is now under surveillance.

Mr. He Gang and Mr. Feng Boxiang were released on December 20, 2013, but are still under surveillance.

The Heping District Police Department revoked Mr. Li Yang's criminal detention charge on November 29, 2013, but he was detained for 14 days for disrupting public order.

The Heping District Procuratorate approved the arrests of Ms. Li Fangfang and Mr. Tong Haibo on a charge of "undermining the implementation of law by using illegal religious organizations" on December 18, 2013.

Ms. Li Fangfang is now being held in cell 315 of the Shenyang Detention Center prison. Mr. Tong is in cell 210 of the Heping District Detention Center.

Not the First Time

Before this incident, Mr. Li defended his mother and sister, who are both Falun Gong practitioners, in court.

Ms. Li and Ms. Yang were arrested in June 2008. Ms. Li's brother, Li Yang, who does not practice Falun Gong, defended his sister and mother in one of the first cases of an ordinary citizen speaking up for a Falun Gong practitioner in court. Attorneys Wang Yajun and Han Guangzhi from Beijing, and Sun Wenbing from Shenyang, represented the practitioners in a hearing on April 15, 2009.

Mr. Li prepared a statement of over one million words entitled, “Being a Good Person Is Not a Crime.” It touched many people's hearts in the courtroom when it was read. During the hearing, Mr. Li and the three attorneys objected to the prosecutor's witnesses, evidence, and other issues. Heping District Court judge Yao Hong repeatedly interrupted them as they defended their clients. Mr. Li was evicted from the courtroom as he attempted to read Article 36 of the constitution that states, "Chinese citizens have freedom of religion."

Ms. Li and Ms. Yang were sentenced to three-year prison terms (June 2008 to June 2011) by the Heping District Court.

Parties Involved:
Hunhewan Police Station: +86-24-23301348
Wang Juntao, deputy director of Hunhewan Community: +86-15502411972 (Cell), +86-24-23505854
Guo Hongwei and Liu Li, police officers
Mu Liangbo, Criminal Investigation deputy commander