Name: Cui Hai (崔海)
Gender: Female
Age: 64 (Born in 1949)
Address: Qianshuiwan, Xianggang Road, Hankou District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province
Occupation: Former official at Wuhan City Chemicals Import and Export Company
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Ankang Hospital of Wuhan City Police Department (武汉市公安局安康医院)
City: Wuhan
Province: Hubei
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, forced injections/drug administration, beatings, hung up, imprisonment, torture, home ransacked, extortion, fired from workplace, interrogation, detention

( Sixty-four-year-old Ms. Cui Hai from Wuhan City was illegally arrested after having earlier been forced to live away from home to avoid the persecution. Participating in the arrest were officers from the Wuhan City Domestic Security Division. They held her in a brainwashing center for more than 2 months before transferring her to Wuhan City No.1 Detention Center. During her one-month detention, Ms. Cui was seriously injured while being interrogated and tortured. Wuhan City 610 Office agents refused to release her, but instead incarcerated her in Ankang Hospital for further persecution.

Ms. Cui's situation is critical, and her family is very worried about her safety.


Ms. Cui Hai

When Ms. Cui's family questioned guards in the No.1 Detention Center, intending to hold them accountable for physically abusing and torturing Ms. Cui, the guards shirked their responsibility and blamed the criminal inmates. But when the family pointed out that if the guards had not directed the criminal inmates behind-the-scenes, how could they dare to physically abuse Ms. Cai, the guards were speechless.

On the morning of September 6, 2012, someone deliberately cut off the electricity to Ms. Cui's home in Qianshuiwan, Xianggang Road, Hankou, Wuhan. Once the electricity was restored, there was a constant knocking on her front door. Later that day, her electricity was cut off three times. The next morning, it was cut off again and never restored. Ms. Cui realized that someone downstairs was monitoring her, and she was forced to leave her home.

Wuhan City Domestic Security Division agents led by deputy head Cai Heng chased her to Guangzhou City where they followed her before making the arrest. They took Ms. Cui back to Wuhan and covertly detained her in the Hubei Province Brainwashing Center for more than 2 months. They robbed Ms. Cai of more than 10,000 yuan she carried with her, and later gave the money to the brainwashing center for her “brainwashing fee.”

The guards at the brainwashing center used the collaborators to brainwash Ms. Cui Hai. They first pretended to be kind to her to confuse her, and later they used threats, verbal abuse, framing and other means to coerce and intimidate Ms. Cui. Under such great stress, she developed high blood pressure. The guards stealthily laced her food and water with drugs, but Ms. Cui saw through their tricks several times and refused to eat. When Ms. Cui refused to undergo “brainwashing” sessions on the second floor, the guards carried her upstairs, and threatened to drag her up the stairs, making sure to hit her head on every step.

After a more than 2 month ordeal in the brainwashing center, on December 31, 2012, Wuhan City 610 Office agents transferred Ms. Cui to the Wuhan City No.1 Detention Center. She was physically abused and tortured during the interrogations, and was seriously injured. At the end of the one-month administrative detention, the 610 Office agents refused to release her; instead they incarcerated her in Ankang Hospital of Wuhan City Police Department for further persecution.

Ms. Cui Hai studied at the Hubei Province Traditional Opera School since her childhood. After graduation, she served in the military and was transferred to a civilian job at the Wuhan Chemicals Import and Export Company. She was once posted to Guangzhou as a general manager because of her abilities. She was a great contributor to the company. She was later diagnosed with gallstones, as well as severe gastric and gynecological diseases. She tried many treatments but her health did not improve. She began practicing Falun Gong in 1996. Soon after, all of her illnesses disappeared. Afterward, she plunged into work with a healthy body and more energy and enthusiasm. She was greatly admired by both her company leaders and colleagues.

Over the past 13 years, Ms. Cui Hai had been repeatedly arrested, detained, and sentenced because she refused to renounce Falun Gong. After being held in prison for three years, she was fired from her job, and thus lost her salary and benefits. She is now being secretly detained and tortured again.

Related article: “Ms. Cui Hai from Wuhan Arrested for the Fifth Time, Current Whereabouts Unknown”

Parties involved in the persecution:
Chen Shiguo, Wuhan 610 Office head: +86-27-82402903(Office), +86-27-87403060(Home)
Zhao Fei, current Party secretary of the Wuhan Politics and Legal Affairs Committee, director of the Wuhan Police Department: +86-27-85876666
Liu Nanhua, chief of the Domestic Security Division of the Wuhan Police Department, directly in charge of Ms. Cui's case
Please refer to the original Chinese article for more people and offices involved in the persecution.