Summary of Key Persecution Facts:

Name: Wang Zicheng (王自成)
Gender: Male
Pinggu District of Beijing
Hotel employee at Panfeng Hotel in Beijing
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
October 29, 2013
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Pinggu Detention Center (平谷看守所)

Persecution Suffered:
Illegal sentencing, forced injections/drug administration, brutal beatings, imprisonment, torture, fired from workplace, interrogation, detention, forced to sit on a small bench for extended periods.

On October 29, 2013, three patrol police officers from Pinggu District of Beijing, and several police officers from the local national security division, arrested Falun Gong practitioners Mr. Wang Zicheng and his wife Ms. Zhang Aiping. They were taken to the Binhe Police Station. The next morning, they were transferred to the Pinggu Detention Center. Now, the Preliminary Hearing Unit of Pinggu District has intervened in the case.

On the same day, seven police officers broke into Mr. Wang's home, ignoring his relatives' attempt to stop them. They took away two laptop computers, a printer, Falun Gong-related books, three photos of the founder of Falun Gong (Mr. Li Hongzhi), cash and other personal belongings.

According to insiders, Mr. Wang was suddenly unable to walk shortly after he was arrested. When his family went to the detention center to demand his release, the guards refused to disclose any information about him. Additionally, they interrogated them, forcibly searched them and took away their keys. During the arrest of Mr. Wang and his wife, none of the police officers had offered their identification papers.

Imprisoned for Eight Years of the Past Decade

Since the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999, Mr. Wang and his wife have been repeatedly persecuted by the communist regime for their belief. From 2003 to 2013, Mr. Wang has been detained for eight years. Because of the persecution, he was unable to walk for two years. His wife Ms. Zhang was sentenced to four years in prison for distributing Falun Gong informational materials. Before her release in 2007, she was held in the Beijing Women's Prison and suffered from severe torture.

Mr. Wang was an employee of Panfeng Hotel in Pinggu District. Because he practiced Falun Gong, he was fired by his company in 2000. In 2003, he was sentenced to five years in prison and detained in Qianjin Prison of Beijing where he underwent severe forms of persecution because he had distributed information about Falun Gong. He was released in October 2008.

On November 29, 2009, Mr. Wang was again arrested by police officers from Mafang Police Station for the same reason. While in the police station, he was handcuffed behind his back and beaten for over 40 minutes until he passed out because he wouldn't disclose his name. After 11 months in the detention center, he was sentenced to another three and a half years in prison.

Mr. Wang continued to suffer from severe persecution when he was taken to the 11 th Division of Qianjin Prison. Starting on October 15, 2010, in order to meet the quota of practitioners who renounced their belief, guards ordered eight prisoners to forcibly “reform” him. They forced him to sit on a 10-centimeter-long plastic bench for 15 hours a day without allowing him to change positions. Two weeks later, Mr. Wang's buttocks started festering and his feet became numb. According to an examination conducted by the prison hospital, Mr. Wang's condition was caused by sitting for an extended period of time which damaged his sciatic nerve.

During Mr. Wang's stay in the prison hospital, he was injected with unknown drugs for two weeks. As a result, his head ached and he suffered from memory loss. He couldn't sleep at night and his blood pressure soared to 170 mm Hg. His family tried to reason with the wardens, Duan Bingchuan and Xue Yingkui, and questioned them: “He was in perfect condition before the arrest. Why can't he walk after you kept him for only 10 days?” They demanded his release.

The wardens shirked their responsibility and refused to admit to Mr. Wang's family that his injury was caused by corporal punishment. In addition, they colluded with the prison hospital by forcing the doctors not to acknowledge that Mr. Wang's immobility was caused by damage to the sciatic nerve. The doctors didn't let Mr. Wang's family see the results of the examination, and claimed that his condition was due to compression of the nerves of the cervical and lumbar spine. Mr. Wang's family strongly demanded a re-examination. The test results showed that the cervical and lumbar spines were normal. The prison authorities had nothing to say but sought to use other ways to shirk responsibility. They suggested Mr. Wang's family could sue them if they wanted to. In May 2013, Mr. Wang was released. At present, he is still unable to walk.

Mr. Wang's family has suffered great pain as a result of the persecution he and his wife have endured. At present, they are still being detained in the Pinggu Detention Center. Personnel including Zhang Lei, Hu Dianjun, and Yang Shaojie from the Preliminary Hearing Unit have intervened in the case.

Phone numbers of the Beijing Pinggu District Preliminary Hearing Unit: Sun Guojin (孙国进), head of the branch bureau: +86-13501179550(Cell) Liu Junqing (刘俊清), captain: +86-13910607748(Cell), +86-10-69953969(Home), +86-10-89989066 (Office) Zhang Lei (张磊): +86-13910759333(Cell), +86-10-69982619(Home), +86-10-89972131/52131(Office) Hu Dianjun (胡殿军): +86-13661093192(Cell), +86-10-69986165(Home), +86-10-89972131/52131(Office) Yang Shaojie (杨少杰): +86-13810250106(Cell), +86-10-69931196(Home), +86-10-89972131/52131(Office)

Related article: Torture in Beijing Prison Results in Loss of Mobility for Mr. Wang Zicheng