Name: Liu Juhua (刘菊花)
Gender: Female
Age: 63
Address: Huangzhou District, Huanggang City, Hubei Province
Occupation: High school teacher
Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 9, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: Wuhan City Brainwashing Center (武汉洗脑班)
City: Wuhan
Province: Hubei
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, forced injections/drug administration, beatings, imprisonment, torture, detention, denial of restroom use

( Ms. Liu Juhua, a master teacher at Chibi City Middle School in Hubei Province, was illegally detained in Wuhan City Brainwashing Center after serving a term at Wuhan City Women’s Prison.

Upon Ms. Liu’s release, her son went to pick her up, but by the time he got there, the Huanggang City 610 Office had already dispatched personnel to go get Ms. Liu.

After she began to practice Falun Gong in 1997, Ms. Liu was no longer the bad-tempered person she used to be. In a period of a few months, her various illnesses, such as a cervical spine problem, lumbar hypertrophy and a uterine cancer that she had suffered from for many years, were all cured.

Ms. Liu has been incarcerated seven times for a total of nine years since 1999, when the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began to persecute Falun Gong.

1. Imprisoned in Shayang Forced Labor Camp, Hubei Province, twice

Ms. Liu was sentenced to a year and a half of forced labor and incarcerated in Shayang Forced Labor Camp in 2000. The brutal tortures she experienced included: sleep deprivation, hard labor, and being forced to pick-up the human waste from the latrines and carry it away on her shoulders. She was also subjected to the tortured method called “Suqin Carrying a Sword.” That torture caused extreme pain to her arms, which were numb for over two weeks afterwards.


Torture reenactment: “Suqin Carrying a Sword” Handcuffing Behind the Back with One Hand Crossed Over a Shoulder

After Ms. Liu returned home in November 2001, her employer refused to let her return and withheld prior salary. They would not allow her to be transferred out of town either. Six months after she was released from prison, when she attempted to throw away a portrait of Jiang Zemin, she was arrested by under-cover police officers. She was then detained for two weeks and transferred to Shayang Forced Labor Camp, where she had to do hard labor for another year and a half. During the day, she was forced to sit on a small stool, and in the evening, she was forced to stand-up overnight. Ms. Liu was not allowed to use a toilet, and the long-term sleep-deprivation caused her to fall down numerous times. After that, she was forced to get up at 5:00 in the morning and work in the fields. She ate lunch in the field, and in winter, the guards purposefully exposed her to freezing temperatures for extended periods.


Torture Re-enactment: Sitting on a small stool for a long period of time

2. Tortured in Baimalong Forced Labor Camp, Hunan Province

In March 2004, Ms. Liu eventually had to leave home and become destitute to avoid further persecution. On July 29, 2004, she was arrested and incarcerated at Baimalong Forced Labor Camp for two and a half years. The guards were told that Ms. Liu had not been “transformed” even though she had been put into Shayang Forced Labor Camp twice, so they decided to place her in the “assault team” unit to be forcefully brainwashed.

During the day, Ms. Liu was surrounded by a gang of former Falun Gong practitioners who had been”transformed” and gone down an evil path. They tried persuasion, intimidation, verbal abuse, and physical torture. Her time to use the toilet and clean up was limited. In the evenings, they deprived her of sleep and made her watch videos that slandered Dafa. A pair of criminal inmates would watch Ms. Liu to make sure that she did not close her eyes. If she did, they would hit her. They sometimes forced her to stand up for the entire evening, and on other occasions forced her to walk around endlessly. After a dozen days of torture and corporal punishment, Ms. Liu began to have abnormal physical symptoms. In addition, the guards took turns extorting her first, then threatening and intimidating her. She was forced to stand up for long periods of time, day and night, and later forced to stand on a 3 by 0.5 inch-stool. Already feeling dizzy due to lack of sleep, Ms. Liu repeatedly fell down as soon as she stood on the stool. The guards then dragged her back up onto the small stool.


Torture reenactment: Pulling hair and hitting the head against wall

3. Sentenced and incarcerated at Wuhan City Women’s Prison

After she was released from the labor camp in May 2008, the National Security personnel of Huanggang City and the 610 Office constantly harassed her. Ms. Liu had no choice but to leave home and become destitute. Police officers were dispatched to search for her and took turns watching the areas with rental apartments. They even located Ms. Liu’s daughter-in-law’s employer in Hebei Province and harassed her.

Eventually, Ms. Liu was arrested once again on September 10, 2008 and was taken to a brainwashing center the next day. In the evening on September 28, she was transferred to Huanggang #1 Detention Center. On February 13, 2009, the Huangzhou District Court in Huanggang City sentenced Ms. Liu to four years of imprisonment.

When Ms. Liu was incarcerated in Wuhan City Women’s Prison, she was forced to watch DVDs and read books that slandered Dafa. She was not allowed to go to sleep before midnight, and for the two years she was in prison, her family was not allowed to visit her. The brutal torture caused Ms. Liu to have headaches; she became sick to her stomach, and her blood pressure went up. The guards took her to the prison clinic, where the doctor force fed her unknown drugs. She was not allowed to buy basic necessities or even toilet paper; she had to use a piece of cloth to clean herself and would wash it after each use. Even though her cell was located on the ground floor and was dark and damp, the guards would not allow her to dry her blanket in the sun. She slept on a damp blanket for two years.

Her term ended on September 9, 2012, however, she was then held in the Wuhan City Brainwashing Center.