Name: Li Huiyun (李惠云)
Gender: Female
Age: 47
Address: Shijiazhuang Experts and Doctors' Building, Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province
Occupation: Associate professor at Hebei Technology University
Date of Most Recent Arrest: March 2, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention: Shijiazhuang City Second Detention Center (石家庄市第二看守所)
City: Shijiazhuang
Province: Hebei
Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, forced injections/drug administration, beatings, hanging by handcuffs, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, physical restraint, mental hospital, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Song Hongshui from Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province, was arrested on March 2, 2011. Later, the police ransacked his house and arrested his wife, Dr. Li Huiyun. Dr. Li is currently being detained at Shijiazhuang City Second Detention Center. Dr. Li had previously been arrested and sent to a brainwashing center in 2004, and was brutally tortured there. She was then sentenced to two years in a forced labor camp. While detained at Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp she developed symptoms of mental disorder.

Ms. Li Huiyun, 47, while living in the Shijiazhuang Experts and Doctors' Building, graduated with a doctoral degree in February 2000 from Tianjin University, where she also began practicing Falun Gong. She was an associate professor at Hebei Technology University.

After the persecution of Falun Gong by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) started on July 20, 1999, Dr. Li was subjected to long-term persecution by Hebei Technology University officials. This persecution included refusing to let her give lectures, refusing to let her leave the country to attend academic conferences and receive international awards, forcing her to write a guarantee statement, sending her to a brainwashing center, and finally dismissing her from her job.

University officials escalated the persecution against her on September 23, 2003. On February 24, 2004, Dr. Li was sent to a brainwashing center. That same day, university officials also terminated her salary. On December 1, 2004, she was dismissed from her job for no valid reason. (Please see “Torture Causes Mental Collapse of Dr. Li Huiyun, 42, Associate Professor at Hebei University of Science and Technology” -

On February 24, 2004, both Dr. Li and her husband Mr. Song Hongshui were illegally taken to the "Hebei Law Education Training Center" for brainwashing. In the brainwashing center, Dr. Li was physically tortured and mentally tormented. She was deprived of sleep for five days, forced to sit cross-legged for four hours, and burned with a cigarette. Dr. Li was often tied to a chair with her arms restrained behind her and was beaten by two male guards. On one occasion, her face was slapped so hard that her jaw was dislocated. The guards then hit her hard on the other side of her face.

Torture re-enactment: Forced to sit cross-legged

Torture re-enactment: Burned with a cigarette

Dr. Li was tortured for over five months at the brainwashing center. She was sentenced to two years of forced labor on August 12, 2004 and sent to the Shijiazhuang Forced Labor Camp. On the afternoon of August 19, she was sent to a mental hospital due to symptoms of a mental collapse.

The perpetrators hid this information from her family and continually deceived them. The family didn't know about Dr. Li's condition until two weeks after she was sent to the mental hospital. The perpetrators at the labor camp forced the hospital doctors to prevent her family from visiting her. Her 70-year-old mother even knelt down and begged the labor camp officials to be allowed to see her daughter. She was finally able to visit her daughter, but was escorted by two plainclothes police officers.

Even with Dr. Li's condition, the perpetrators at the labor camp still did not go easy on her. They ordered monitors to watch her and beat her. Several people pushed her down to the ground, one person held her down with one leg on her chest and the other leg on her neck, which made it difficult for her to breathe. Her hands were handcuffed to two beds. Dr. Li was forced to take medicines for mental disorder which caused slow responsiveness, stiff facial expression, and poor eyesight and hearing.

Torture re-enactment: Handcuffed to two beds

Due to the long-term persecution at the brainwashing center, after she returned home in February 2006, Dr. Li has shown symptoms of mental disorder many times.

Police from Nanchangjie Police Station broke into Dr. Li's house at 10:00 a.m. on July 4, 2008. They ransacked her home and confiscated a laptop and a desktop computer. After Dr. Li got the computers back, she discovered that the perpetrators had installed software to monitor her computer use.

Dr. Li's husband Song Hongshui was arrested on the morning of March 2, 2011 while he was distributing truth-clarification materials. He was sent to Ninganlu Police Station. That same night, at 8:00 p.m., police ransacked their house and arrested Dr. Li and several other practitioners who were visiting, including Wang Suxin, Sun Yuzhen, and her father. The perpetrators confiscated a computer, Dafa books, truth-clarification materials, and CDs.

Dr. Li Huiyun has been detained at Shijiazhuang Second Detention Center for over four months. We were not able to contact the family, and the couple's current situation is very worrying.

Responsible personnel:
Shijiazhuang Second Detention Center: +86-311-87794348
Sun Shuhai, political head, Nanchangjie Police station: +86-13933107556
Zhao Zhiqiang, head of Ninganlu Police Station: +86-13932155100
Liu Yongqiang, political head: +86-13785182900