Name: Li Yufen (李玉芬)
Gender: Female
Age: 47
Address: Lindong Town, Zuoqi, Balin, Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: April 6, 2006
Most recent place of detention: Hohhot Women's Forced Labor Camp 呼和浩特女子劳教所
City: Hohhot
Province: Inner Mongolia
Persecution Suffered: Beatings, Forced Labor, Solitary Confinement, Extortion
Key Persecutors: Tu Buxin(图布信)and Zhang Rongshan(张荣山)

( Because Ms. Li Yufen refuses to give up her belief in "Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance," she has been persecuted by the members of Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and police in Zuoqi. As a result of the persecution, her family has been torn apart.

  1. Harassment and detention

After July 20, 1999, the head of the Zuoqi Police Department and deputy director Wang Qige, who is in charge of Falun Gong issues, the director of the State Security Bureau Tu Buxin, and Bai Xiuzhen have demanded that four policemen from the Security Office of Lindong Town, Zuoqi monitor Li Yufen. She was not allowed to step out of her house. The police stayed there several days consecutively. Since then, members of the CCP in Zuoqi have repeatedly harassed her and ransacked her home.

At the end of October 2000, Tu Buxin and others deceived Li Yufen into coming to the public security bureau. Later Li Yufen and five other detained Falun Gong practitioners were sent to the detention center. They were repeatedly interrogated and forced to write a "promise statement" to give up their belief in Falun Gong. She was released two months later after her family was forced to pay 3,000 yuan in "safety money."

After she returned home, Secretary of the Zuoqi Political and Judiciary Committee Li Guo and others did not allow her husband (who also worked on the Political and Judiciary Committee) to work. They forced him to watch Li Yufen at home. Li Guo also found several people from other cities to inundate her with CCP propaganda. They forced her to promise to "never go to Beijing." After she refused to comply, the Zuoqi Political and Judiciary Committee expelled her husband from his post.

  1. Suffering brutal torture at forced labor camp

One day in July 2001, over ten people including the Deputy Director of the 610 Office Zhang Rongshan, Director of the Police Department Tu Buxin, Liu Jianguo, and Cui Yajie ransacked Li Yufen's home. They took away a speaker and exercises tapes, and took her to the Zuoqi Police Department. Many practitioners were already detained there and handcuffed to the window. They were forced to stay under the scorching sun and not allowed to sleep or drink. Only one meal a day was provided to them.

At noon on July 10, 2001, eight policemen sent Li Yufen to the Zuoqi Detention Center. Two months later, she was sentenced to two years in a forced labor camp. This caused tremendous harm to her family. She left behind her ten-year-old child. Her elderly parents used to have good health after practicing Falun Gong. However, CCP members in Zuoqi repeatedly threatened them and forced them to give up the practice of Falun Gong. In addition, their three daughters were all detained. Unable to sustain such emotional trauma, their illnesses recurred, and they both passed away.

On September 10, 2001, without notifying their families, the police sent seven practitioners--Li Yufen, Duan Xueqin, Ji Yunzhi, Yana, Li Yulan, Wang Xiuzhi, and Chen Qingxin--to a detention center in Chifeng City. Afterwards they once again transferred them to the women's forced labor camp in Tumuqi at Xinanmeng of Inner Mongolia.

Li Yufen was detained at the second squadron in Tumuqi, and she was subjected to repeated brainwashing. Policewoman Di isolated Li Yufen by ordering her to sleep on the floor of the police office and monitoring her around the clock, so that she could not be in contact with any others. Deputy commander Zhou and head of the second squadron beat her and dragged her by the hair, while striking her face and head forcefully. After repeated, prolonged beatings, her face was covered with bruises and badly swollen. It took a long time for her to recover. She was tortured in isolation for almost one month. Ms. Li was also forced to do intense labor for over ten hours a day.

  1. Detained and tortured in brainwashing center

At six o'clock on March 9, 2003, director of the police station Cai Fuyun and policeman Jia went to Li Yufen's house and deceived her into going to the police station. Four policemen dragged her into a car and sent her to the Chifeng Brainwashing Center. They bombarded her with lies attacking Falun Gong and threatened her.

The main people involved in persecuting Falun Gong practitioners in the Chifeng Brainwashing Center include Yang Chunyue and Chen Xiaodong from the Chifeng City 610 Office.

  1. Sent to labor camp once again

On April 6, 2006, police officer Zhang Guangsheng and others waited at the door of Li Yufen's home and arrested her. Without giving any reason, they took her directly to the detention center. They trumped up some charges and sentenced her to two years in a labor camp. The head of the detention center Na Shun and others forcefully twisted her arms behind her back and took her fingerprints on false documents. They also forcibly took photos of her.

Former Director of the Derijihu Police Department Fu Xiuyun, Tang Guozhi, and others demanded that the legal medical expert in the Jila Detention Center and Zhang Fengwen send Li Yufen to the Hohhot Women's Forced Labor Camp. Other practitioners who were also sentenced and sent to labor camp include Wang Xiaoyan, Li Shujie, and Li Shengjun.

In the labor camp, Li Yufen was detained in isolation with many drug dealer inmates, and inmates watched her around the clock. They took turns bombarding her with lies that attacked Falun Gong. They forced her to watch videos denouncing Falun Gong and used every means to try to force her to give up her belief. They also forced her to do hard labor for more than ten hours a day.

Ms. Li was released on January 3, 2008. However, she was homeless because she had lost her family and home due to the persecution.