• Practitioner Mr. Guo Shijun from Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province Tortured to Death
  • Practitioner Pei Shurong from Taikang County, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province Dies after Detention
  • Dead As a Result of Torture: Practitioner Ms. Ge Peilin from Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province
  • Appeal by Former "Outstanding" Policeman of No. 1 Group in Panzhihua's City Traffic Police Department
  • The Notorious Xinjin Brainwashing Class in Chengdu City Has Been Shut Down
  • Mr. Wang Xinchun from Yichun City Suffers Continuous Abuse after Persecution Rendered His Legs Disabled
  • The Three Young Daughters of Imprisoned Practitioners Fu Wenqing and Yang Min Lead a Difficult Life Without their Parents
  • Practitioner Ms. Sun Lin Violently Beaten and Dragged Behind a Motorcycle by Police at the Laixi Detention Center, Shandong Province
  • Brief News from China - February 15, 2005
  • Summery of Other Articles and News - February 21, 2005

Practitioner Mr. Guo Shijun from Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province Tortured to Death

Mr. Guo Shijun was a Falun Gong practitioner who lived in Hongqi Township, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. In 2004, he went to Dongfu Village, Dongguan Town, Shuangcheng City to clarify the truth, and was reported on. He was arrested by police and locked in the Shuangcheng City Second Detention Center. When arrested, his pockets contained more than 360 yuan cash and his family housing license. Mr. Guo's wife was already detained in Wanjia Labor Camp at that time, and thus their ten-year-old daughter was left home alone until his wife was released in July 2004.

Mr. Guo Shijun was subjected to brutal tortures in the detention center. He was later sentenced to three years of forced labor and sent to Changlinzi Labor Camp. Inside that camp, he was tortured by many means, that his back skin was covered with purple black marks from electric baton shocks; his buttocks were all beaten and misshapen. The uniformed guards forced him sit on an iron chair (1), first for 48 hours, then for four consecutive days, resulting in his buttocks becoming infected. He went on hunger strike three times to protest the persecution. He used to be a very healthy man, but after torture he looked like a completely different person.

On February 1, 2005 Mr. Guo was dying, and so the police sent him home. He was unconscious, unable to move, coughing, and in extreme pain. The police in the camp said to him, "No one would take care of you in our patient's cell, and you would have died in a few days. So you'd better stay alive here; we do not want to be held responsible for your death."

On February 3, 2005, guards from the camp came to take him for a check-up at the hospital. They had to send him back home, and said, "He has lung and liver cancers, and he won't live more than a week."

Mr. Guo Shijun died at noon on February 9, 2005, Chinese New Year Day. All the villagers know that Mr. Guo was very healthy before, but died after police locked him up for 18 months.

His death is another crime that Jiang and his regime have committed toward people who believe in "Truthfulness, Compassion and Tolerance." It is another blood debt owed by Changlinzi Labor Camp.

Phone numbers of Changlinzi Labor Camp, First Ward Leader Yang (male), 86-451-86888735; Wu Wenjin (male), 86-451-86900308

(1) The iron chair is made of iron pipes. Victims are restrained on the iron chairs with both arms and legs tied for a long period of time. See illustration on

Practitioner Pei Shurong from Taikang County, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province Dies after Detention

Ms. Pei Shurong was a Falun Gong practitioner from Taikang County, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. On April 13, 2002, the local 610 Office and police arrested her from her home and locked her in the local detention center. After one month, she was sentenced to two years' forced labor. Police twice tried to have her admitted to the labor camp, but each time they failed due to her breast cancer symptoms. She was locked in the detention center for three months, her condition became worse after she was released, and she died at home in October, 2004.

Dead As a Result of Torture: Practitioner Ms. Ge Peilin from Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province

Ms. Ge Peilin was 48 years old, employed by Jianglian Inc. located in Qingyunpu District, Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province. She was persecuted multiple times before going to Beijing to appeal during the first half of the 2004. After her abduction back to Nanchang City, she was beaten up until her head was bleeding, lost consciousness, and died at the end of January 2005. More details of her story follow:

In 1999, Ms. Ge Peilin went to Beijing to appeal together with her younger sister, and was arrested on Tiananmen Square. She was detained in Xuanwumen Police Substation, where, against her will, the guards injected an unknown drug into her body. Interrogated alone, the guards beat her up. They punched and kicked her while another cruelly beat her head with a police baton. She felt blood on her skin, and then passed out.

Ms. Ge lived in the dormitory of Nanchang City's Boiler Factory. Police abducted her from her home multiple times to have her detained. The Boiler Factory withheld her husband's salary, and sent people to closely monitor her in order to stop her practice. The Factory Security Office ransacked her house, and took away her Falun Dafa book.

One day in 2001, Ms. Ge was abducted, sentenced to forced labor, and locked in the Nanchang City Labor Camp for the second time. She appeared to have high blood pressure, vomited, her face turned to a purple color, and she had cramps all over the body. She was sent to the Nanchang City Ninth Hospital. Even as she was dying, police still cuffed her hands and shackled her legs. She lost consciousness. The doctor said, "You do not have any conscience! She practices Falun Gong. It's what she believes in, so just let her be. She is dying! Who of you are responsible?"

Police threatened the doctor, "You'd better not speak for Falun Gong practitioners, otherwise you will be arrested." They saw that Ms. Ge was certainly dying, and left one by one with fake excuses. Ms. Ge's husband then found people to carry her home. On the evening of November 8, at 9 pm, more than ten police went to her home, took away many Falun Dafa materials, beat her up, and abducted her again.

During the first half of 2004, Ms. Ge went to Beijing to appeal. She was arrested and taken back to Nanchang City. She was beaten up until her head was bleeding and she lost consciousness inside the Qingyunpu District Police Station. She could no longer look after her daily needs, and died at the end of January 2005.

Appeal by Former "Outstanding" Policeman of No. 1 Group in Panzhihua's City Traffic Police Department


Xu Langzhou, male, 32 years old, formerly a policeman of the No. 1 Group in Panzhihua City Traffic Police Department.

Residence: at No. 5 / 201 No. 1 Wanyaoshu Village, Dahezhong Road, Renhe District, Panzhihua City


Sichuan Yanbian County Court criminal court: Xiao Wengang, Peng Yao, Hu Liantu;
Yanbian County Procuratorate: Xu Henggui, Tang Xinghua, You Fangping;
Panzhihua City 610 Office;
Policemen of the National Protection Unit in Panzhihua City Public Security Bureau: Qin Gang, Zou Yongjun, Huang Songjin;
Panzhihua City Detention Center;
Xinhua Forced Labor Camp in Mianyang, Sichuan.


The defendants are charged with discriminatory and violent behavior against the Plaintiff, circumventing laws, wrongdoing, and denial of the Plaintiff's fundamental rights, primarily denial of his personal freedom and freedom belief.

Legal Action Remedy:

  • Withdraw unlawful sentencing (2004) Yanbian No. 00045 against Plaintiff.
  • Immediately cease and desist all harmful actions against the Plaintiff.
  • Release Plaintiff.
  • Recompense Plaintiff for financial losses caused by unlawful detention.
  • Reinstate Plaintiff at the Traffic Police Department.
  • Restore Plaintiff's reputation and affirm blamelessness.
  • Assign legal responsibility to direct and indirect participants.
  • Basis for appeal:

    The defendants refused "to consider basic facts, and apply existing law." Defendants are charged with violation of "Ethics and Principles, which are the backbone of law enforcement personnel; violated China's "Constitution," "Criminal Laws," "Established Procedures," "People's Police Law" and so on. Further charges include, violation of established regulations, consent to violation of law, sentencing innocent people, and violating knowingly and recklessly fundamental human rights. Lastly, but equally important, disturbance and destruction of family of the Plaintiff, and causing pain and suffering.


    The Plaintiff is the former policeman of No. 1 Group in Panzhihua City Traffic Police Department. He was assigned to oversee and resolve traffic accidents. He began to practice Falun Gong in 1994. He lived according to the principles "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance." Within a short time, his diseases disappeared and he became healthy. Before he practiced Falun Gong, he used to smoke, drink, physically assault people (especially drivers who had left the scene of an accident), and accepted free dinners, money and gifts. After practicing Falun Gong, he was no longer corrupt. He no longer accepted dinner invitations, gifts or money. He worked diligently and responsibly, was dedicated to his job, professional, and dealt with traffic accidents in a fast, professional and fair manner. He was recognized yearly as outstanding police officer. Panzhihua City Television also reported on the Plaintiff, yet this kind and positive individual is being repeatedly persecuted.

    Since July 22, 1999, the government propaganda machine has publicized a series of reports about Falun Gong. The Plaintiff thought the media reports to be untrue, framing the innocent and fabricating lies. The Plaintiff trusted the government. He felt that to be responsible to the country and people, he had to appeal at the Appeal Office in Beijing. He wanted the true situation of Falun Gong to be known. Instead, he was arrested, unjustly taken to Panzhihua Detention Center and detained for several days. Afterwards, his workplace forced him to choose between Falun Gong and his job, and the Plaintiff chose Falun Gong and his job. In the end, he lost his job, because he persisted in his practice of Falun Gong.

    On November 23, 1999, the Plaintiff appealed at Panzhihua City People's Government Appeal Office. He wanted tell the facts of Falun Gong's persecution, and clarify the truth. But, before he had finished, the staff of the Appeal Office reported him to the Public Security Bureau. He was arrested by Panzhihua City Public Security Bureau 610 Office, and taken to Dadukou Police Station in the East District, the police station of his permanent residency. That night, he was detained in the police station basement. There was no bed or stool, just an empty room. It was very cold, the Plaintiff was only wearing thin clothes, and therefore was freezing all night long. On the second day, he was sent to the detention center, and detained for a month.

    In 2000, the Plaintiff practiced the exercises outside his home. He was arrested and detained at Panzhihua City Detention Center. Because he told the persecution facts of Falun Gong to other detainees, the police tortured him for 13 days. The torture method they used was the Death Bed -- his four limbs were stretched out and tied to the four corners of an icy-cold metal bed, with thick iron chains across his chest. He could not move, was not allowed to get up to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. It was very painful. On March 15, 2000, the Plaintiff was sentenced by Panzhihua City 610 Office to 2 years of forced labor, and sent to Xinhua Forced Labor Camp in Mianyang, Sichuan.

    The Plaintiff suffered all sorts of physical and mental torture in Xinhua Forced Labor Camp. Because he was steadfast, the guards of the forced labor camp tortured him with electric batons of thirty thousand volts. They burned a hole into his skin with the electric baton, and one could smell the burned flesh. The forced labor camp tried all kind of torture methods to force the Plaintiff to renounce his belief. Several guards pressed him to the ground, tied him with ropes, and stepped on the Plaintiff's face, with half of his face pressed on small pieces of broken bricks. His face was injured and bled. The rope cut into his flesh. After he was tightly tied up with many ropes, he was left in the scorching sun of a hot summer. When he was released from the forced labor camp, one could still see the scars on his face, and the rope marks on his shoulder.

    The Plaintiff was forced into slave labor at the labor camp. He had to fire brick and the temperature was unbearably hot. They forced the Plaintiff to pick up the brick when it was still scorching hot. One could light a cigarette on the brick. Regular clothes would all become red. Therefore, even during hot days, i.e., 30 to 40 degrees, workers had to wear cotton-padded jackets with long sleeves, which covered the hands, and long trousers. The sleeves were filled with car rubber tires. A youth, around 30 years old, could only pick bricks for two minutes, and most of the brick pickers were sick when they left that hot room. They had brick dust all over their body.

    The weather was very hot, but the police did not give them any water. The Plaintiff could only drink rain-water. There were insects and the water smelled. It was not enough water to quench the thirst. When he was too thirsty during hot days, he had to crawl to the waste drainage and drink waste-water. This resulted in further torture from the supervising prisoners. Because of the lack of drinking water, people often fainted in the canteen during lunch-time. Whoever was released from Xinhua Forced Labor Camp said that it was living hell. He spent two years like that. Because he did not renounce his belief and his wanting to be a good person, his prison term was extended by nine months.

    While the Plaintiff was detained at the forced labor camp, his wife could no longer bear the stress and divorced him. The Plaintiff, after his release from the forced labor camp, had bruises all over his body. He moved in with his sister. Police from the National Protection Unit harassed him for more than a year. The Plaintiff and his partners established a coating factory. Shortly after the production went into full swing, he again suffered from the persecution.

    At 9 a.m. on April 9, 2004, when the Plaintiff was busy in the coating factory, policemen from the National Protection Unit of Panzhihua City Public Security Bureau arrested him. There were more than ten plain clothed policemen who did not present any legal documents. They put a black bag on the Plaintiff's head, and took him to the conference room on the 2nd floor of Jingu Hotel at Area B, Xinxian Town, Yanbian County. They tortured him to elicit a confession. Policemen Qin Gang, Zou Yongjun and others hung up the Plaintiff for one day and night, and deprived him of sleep for three days and two nights. Qin Gang, Zou Yongjun and Huang Songjin took turns to interrogate and torment the Plaintiff days and nights. They did not dare to show the Plaintiff their identification. They did not record the interrogation period, place, names of participants and so on. They falsified the time as if they interrogated him only every four hours. The location was changed from Jingu Hotel to Yanbian County Public Security Bureau. The Plaintiff admitted to and signed the "falsified evidence." (Qin Gang forced Xu Langzhou to sign, he refused. Qin Gang then said: "If you do not sign, do not admit, I will kill you! Xu Langzhou was totally exhausted because of the torture and long hours without sleep and signed the document.)

    During the illegal arrest, the policemen from the National Protection Unit confiscated Xu Langzhou's bag (it contained the account book, receipt and more than 3,000 yuan cash belonging to the coating factory). The police falsely claimed that the bag held Falun Gong materials, and did not reveal that there was money. Moreover, Zou Yongjun from the National Protection Unit forced a worker from the coating factory to forge evidence.

    On September 14, 2004, Yanbian Court held an illegal trial. During the court hearing, the Plaintiff exposed the police. He recounted the torture he suffered during interrogation, and declared all his words and acts null and void, as his consciousness was not clear due to the torture. Because of "insufficient evidence," the court was unable to sentence him at that time. Also, public pressure stopped the face trial. On November 1, 2004, the court held a second trial, because of extreme pressure by the 610 office. The presiding judge ignored the inhuman torture during interrogation, falsification of the charges, withholding facts, lack of evidence, used the fabricated material provided by Panzhihua City 610 Office police, ignored existing law, encouraged the corrupt behavior of the Defendants, supported the persecution of kind people and sentenced the Plaintiff to eight years and six months.

    Given the aforementioned facts, it can be established that the defendants contravened existing law. Their actions were in violation of the Chinese "Constitution" and existing "Criminal Law." Details include the following:

    1. Violations of:

    A. Provision No. 36 of the "Constitution:" The citizens of the People's Republic of China are granted freedom of religious belief. (Note: citizens have the freedom to believe in Falun Gong.)

    B. Provision No. 37: The personal freedom of citizens of the People's Republic of China is safeguarded from violent actions. (Note: 610 violated personal freedom).

    C. Provision No. 38: The personal dignity of citizens of the People's Republic of China is safeguarded from violent actions. It is prohibited to insult, slander, frame, and bring false charges against citizens. (Note: The public security bureau, police, detention center, etc violated this provision in slandering Falun Gong).

    2. Disrespect of established criminal law include, but not all inclusive, illegal deprivation of citizen's freedom of belief, illegal detention, torment of detainee, eliciting confession through torture, false accusation and entrapment, and abuse of power.

    A. Illegal deprivation of citizen's freedom of belief criminality: Forcing Plaintiff to renounce his belief, forcing him to write guarantee statement to no longer practice Falun Gong by means of detention, brainwashing and implicating family and friends. Provision No. 251 of the "Criminal Law" states clearly that violation of said provision demands a sentence of up to two years of imprisonment. Forcing people to renounce their faith constitutes serious violation and demands the maximum sentence.

    B. Illegal detention criminality: illegal detention, forced labor, multiple sentencing of Plaintiff, which caused the Plaintiff serious mental and physical harm and significant financial losses. Provision No. 238 of the "Criminal Law" provides for up to two years imprisonment and denial of political rights for serious breach of said provision.

    C. Torment detained criminality: Plaintiff suffered illegal detention, during which he was tortured, forced to stand for long periods of time, suffer the Death Bed, cuffing of hands and feet, torture with electric batons, tied up with ropes and other torments. Provision No. 248 of the "Criminal Law" provides three to ten years prison term imprisonment for serious violation of said Provision. Serious violation is evidenced by injury or disability.

    D. Elicit confession through torture: the Plaintiff was hung up for 24 hours, deprived of sleep for two days and nights. Provision No. 247 of the "Criminal Law" stipulates three years imprisonment for violation of said provision. Serious violations constitute: elicit confession through torture or violence to obtain witnesses testimony on the accused person.

    E. False accusation and entrapment: Provision No. 243 of the "Criminal Law" states: false charges and entrapment, with the intention to accuse others of criminal behavior, will result in a three years imprisonment. Government servants who commit this crime will be severely punished.

    F. Abuse of power: Sentence notice No. 000045, did not show Plaintiff's alleged criminal behavior. Yanbian Court accepted evidence taken under duress by Panzhihua City Public Security Bureau policemen. Plaintiff was "interrogated through torture," and "was not clear-headed because of the torture." Provision No. 300 of the "Criminal Law" discussed "Using a government organization to hinder fair execution of law is a crime." The Plaintiff was accused unjustly and suffered irreparable harm.

    The Yanbian Court is knowledgeable about the law and violated the law calculatedly. It sentenced the Falun Gong practitioner without due cause, is in violation of Provision No. 3 and No. 4 of "Criminal Law;" Provision No. 8 of No. 83 amendment, passed on December 28, 2002; Provision No. 397 and other Provisions. Provision No. 397 of existing "Criminal Law" allows for three to seven years imprisonment, depending on the seriousness of the crime.

    The Plaintiff is an innocent victim of the persecution. He suffered irreparable harm, unlawful arrest, detainment, unfair and biased trials, imprisonment and torture due to the actions of the executors of the law. The judge knowingly ignored legal liabilities of the perpetrators of the injustice. The judge consciously sentenced an innocent person and bent the law to benefit injustice. The judge chose deliberately between personal power and the truth; between insensitivity and goodness and chose to forsake goodness and courage. The judge chose to forsake morality and justice, moved 100 degrees from being upright and just, handed down an illogical rule, and did not serve justice. Those who do violence to the kind are no doubt evil and the evildoers will receive justice.

    The Plaintiff and his family members will appeal until exonerated. Plaintiff requests redress of the injustice he suffered. He asks the court to return to the path of truth, serve the people as stipulated under existing law, safeguard the sanctity of the law and carry out the responsibilities granted under the law.

    The Plaintiff brings his appeal to the court, the procuratorate and all other levels within the court system, to ask for the return of justice, withdraw unlawful sentence, and unconditionally release the Plaintiff. Furthermore, the Plaintiff asks that the perpetrators of aforementioned crimes be brought to justice and served the appropriate sentence.

    Yours Sincerely

    Appealer: Xu Langzhou
    Cc: Sichuan Panzhihua City Intermediate People's Court
    Sichuan Panzhihua City People's Procuratorate

    The Notorious Xinjin Brainwashing Class in Chengdu City Has Been Shut Down

    The notorious "legal system school" in Chengdu City has recently been shut down, and three steadfast Dafa disciples were taken home by authorities on January 26. Some other Dafa disciples who are illegally detained may be transferred to other areas.

    The "Legal System Education Center" was jointly organized by Sichuan Province and Chengdu City. It is actually a brainwashing center located in the remote Huaqiao area in Xinjin County. Right next to it is the "Women's Education Center" and the "Drug Rehabilitation Center." The brainwashing center was established in March 2003. During the last 10 days of April 2003, they started to arrest and place Dafa disciples in the center.

    There was no bulletin board outside the front door . The metal gate is usually shut for the entire day, with security guards on duty. There were more people held here than in most jails. After practitioners were arrested, they were locked up in a 6-story building. The windows were only 15 centimeters wide. The first floor was locked every night at around 10:00 pm until the next day at 7:00 am. Dafa disciples were locked in small rooms day and night. Each room was tightly locked all the time. Practitioners were prohibited from seeing each other. Also, it was clearly stipulated in regulations that "practicing the Falun Gong exercises, making contact with other practitioners and promoting Falun Gong" were all forbidden.

    There were four different methods used to illegally arrest Dafa disciples and put them in this center. The first was to kidnap them from their homes. They were also transferred from detention centers or labor camps. Third, they brought disciples from other brainwashing classes and fourth, they arrested practitioners as their terms were finished in labor camps. More than 500 disciples were held in this place before October 2003. We don't know exactly how many Falun Gong practitioners have been held there in the last two years.

    Each practitioner had two "personal guards." One of them was assigned by the practitioner's workplace or place of residence. Another one was assigned by the village or town officer where the practitioner lived. These two people lived with the Falun Gong practitioner in same room at all times. One was assigned to go to the cafeteria to bring back food. If the practitioners needed to wash, to take a shower or go to the bathroom, they first had to get permission. One of the guards would go to check if there were any other practitioners out there. If no one was there, then they would agree to accompany the practitioner. These "personal guards" had to clearly record the practitioner's words and actions every day and report to a supervisor. Every morning and afternoon they played two CDs that slandered Dafa and Master. They forced practitioners to watch. At night they made the practitioner talk about his or her feeling of what was in the CD.

    The brainwashing center also transfers assistants from the surrounding areas. Each would work here for half a year. Every practitioner was surrounded by one assistant and two guards.

    Practitioners were forced to pay for a "meal fee," which was as high as 1000 yuan every month. They were also constantly threatened by staff and local 610 office workers. Each day "Street Security" sent some people in to harass the practitioners. They would frequently beat practitioners and subject them to inhumane torture. Anyone going on a hunger strike to protest would be tied up on a bed and force-fed with a hard tube poked into their nose until they would start to eat again.

    An outsider would have no way of knowing what was going on inside, since information is tightly guarded. One case we do know of is a lady named Zhu Xia who is in her 30s, living at Apartment 1, 3rd Unit, 4th Building, No. 5 Jinrong Lane, Guangrong Sub-district, Chengdu City. She was taken to this brainwashing class by He Yuanfu, who is the head of 610 office in Guangrong Sub-district of Chengdu City. This happened right after she finished her time at a labor camp. However, now, having been tortured to the point of suffering a mental collapse, Zhu Xia has a habitual movement where she puts her hand against her head violently and screams loudly with fear, "Are you going to rape me?"

    Who knows what exactly happened in that evil place? Zhu Xia was subjected to brutal persecution, and she encountered inhumane torture, both physically and mentally. Her suffering drove her to mental collapse. It was said that she was often not allowed to sleep in the brainwashing center for days at a time.

    Senle Liu, a 53-year old Dafa disciple, lived in the No. 1 group, Guilin Village, Xindu District, Chengdu City. She was abducted by the 610 Office in Xindu and taken to the Xinjin brainwashing class. There she was persecuted until her health was in a precarious state. She died 3 days after she went home. On the afternoon of April 5, 2003 while she was with some friends in the new Guihu Park, Xindu District, Chengdu City, she was arrested by policemen and 610 office members. She was forcibly detained for 15 days, and the she was sent to the Xinjin brainwashing class for further persecution. In the brainwashing class she suffered all sorts of torture and physical abuse. When it was apparent that she was about to die, the authorities forced her family to give them 1000 yuan for her release.

    On May 23, she was taken by her husband with other two people and a local secretary to her home. She came home without shoes, every part of her body aching, swells on her head, her chest bruised badly, her stomach swollen and in pain, and foam in her mouth. Three days later, she was dead. The local authorities, in an attempt to dodge responsibility, threatened her family, suppressed the news, made up rumors and said she committed suicide. They ordered the coroner to say that she died from a sudden epileptic seizure.

    According to an insider, a couple named Li Xianwen and Yu Guiying are practitioners who lived on Gongnongyuan Street in the Longzhoulu area, Jingjiang District, Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. They both encountered brutal persecution. The husband was persecuted to death in Xinjin brainwashing class. His death was covered up, so his mother didn't even know that he was dead. His wife could not bear the severe persecution in the labor camp and ended up with a mental disorder. She has now been sent home.

    Xinjin brainwashing class has done all kinds of evil deeds in carrying out the persecution against Falun Gong. This was the most notorious place for persecuting Dafa disciples in Chengdu area. Lately, the Xinjin brainwashing class has been shut down.

    Mr. Wang Xinchun from Yichun City Suffers Continuous Abuse after Persecution Rendered His Legs Disabled

    On September 27, 2004, at 3:00 p.m., Falun Gong practitioner Wang Xinchun arrived at the Fengmao Forest Center in Yichun City in his wheelchair where he was seen by Wang Fengquan, a forest fire fighter. Without any explanation Wang Fengquan started to kick him and beat him up. Consequently, Wang Xinchun and his wheelchair fell into a ditch that was 2 meters deep. Then Wang Fengquan jumped into the ditch and continued to beat Wang Xinchun for another 30 to 40 minutes. Wang Xinchun's nose was bleeding and the side of his head, neck, chest, shoulder and his back were injured. During the beating, his watch was broken, his wheelchair was bent into an S-shape, and the remainder of his legs (he lost the lower half of both his legs due to persecution) were injured and bleeding.

    Police abuse and terrorism caused Wang Xinchun to lose his legs

    Wang Fengquan reported this incident to his supervisor, Dong Shuhua, and policeman Wang Shoumin. Later, Wang Xinchun went to see Wang Fengquan's supervisor, Dong Shuhua, and director of the forest center, Gao Yuguo, to ask them for an explanation as to why he was beaten up and his personal property destroyed. But as staff members of the country, Dong Shuhua and Gao Yuguo did not solve the problem; instead they ordered Zhang Yukun to beat up him again.

    Because the persecution caused Wang Xinchun to lose both of his legs, making a living became very hard. On November 2, 2004, he went the forest center to ask the director Gao Yuguo to return five hundred yuan of the illegal fine that the ex-forest center director, Wang Changqi, and the Party secretary, Xie Yonghui, had taken from his family while he was jailed in a labor camp for one year. The current director, Gao Yuguo, and party secretary Mr. Chen and their staff members, Liu Guangmin, Xue Senlin, Wu Jian, Zhang Cheng and others, started to beat him and planned to tie him up and put him into a coffin (his clothes and pants were all torn). They did not dare to put him in a coffin, however, because the inspector from Yichun City was around at that time and because Wang Xinchun continuously clarified the truth to them. So, they put him at the top of the stairs instead and left. When Wang Xinchun came back to ask for his money, the center director and the inspector from the city ignored him and left in their vehicles.

    The next day, Wang Xinchun returned to ask for his money again, and again he was beaten up. The authorities even seized the receipt which had entitled him to the money.

    Wang Fengquan was hired by forest center director Gao Yuguo to watch Wang Xinchun. He was paid 270 yuan per month.

    Several practitioners were paralyzed or persecuted to death and more than twenty practitioners were sentenced to labor camp in Jinshan district.

    Phone numbers for those in charge of persecuting practitioners:

    Dong Shuhua : 86-458-3734505
    Xue Senlin : 86-458-3700169
    Zhang Cheng : 86-13845844224 (cell)
    Wang Xiaolin (officer of Fengmao Forest Center): 86-458-3700209
    Gao Yujie (staff in the mail room) : 86-458-3700107
    Director of Fengmao Forest Center: 86-458-3700001

    (To learn how Wang Xinchun was disabled as a result of persecution, see

    The Three Young Daughters of Imprisoned Practitioners Fu Wenqing and Yang Min Lead a Difficult Life Without their Parents

    Two days before the Chinese New Year of 2001, some time after ten o'clock, in Xinsheng Village, Xinxing Township, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province, three little daughters of one family cried, "If you take away my father and mother, how can we live?" The youngest daughter, less than two years old, cried for her mother. Police were taking away their parents, Mr. Fu Wenqing and Ms. Yang Min. Fu Wenqing was illegally sentenced, imprisoned and persecuted in Hulan Prison. Yang Min was taken to the Women's Prison of Heilongjiang Province, where she is being persecuted for her belief in Falun Gong.

    Two of the daughters of Fu Wenqing and Yang Min

    Fu Wenqing and Yang Min with one of their daughters

    The 610 Office persecuted and broke up a stable and happy family. They separated the children from their parents, leaving them alone and uncared for. The secretary of the local Chinese Communist Party (CCP) branch committee shouted: "I'll let you practice. I'll arrest all of you!" Fu Wenqing and Yang Min's oldest daughter, Fu Yangyang was only 15 years old at the time and was in middle school. She had to give up her school to help her grandparents look after her five-year-old and two-year-old sisters (the youngest one is named Yuanyuan).

    At present, the 68-year-old grandfather has a broken arm and the 64-year-old grandmother has broken her hipbone. They are unable to take care of themselves. The youngest daughter, Yuanyuan is frightened and runs and hides when she sees personnel from the local police station. Her mental condition is very disturbed. The now 17-year-old daughter has to take care of her old grandparents and her younger sisters at the same time.

    Fu Wenqing's youngest daughter Yuanyuan had a bump on her head when she was born. The hospital examined her and concluded that she needed to have the bump surgically removed. The cost of the surgery would have been 10 to 20 thousand yuan. Since the couple cultivates Falun Gong, the bump on Yuanyuan's head disappeared later without treatment. Fu Wenqing had severe headaches before he started to practice Falun Gong. He suffered extreme pain and had to spend a few thousand yuan each year for medicine to treat his headaches but could not be cured.

    In 1997, Fu Wenqing started to practice Falun Dafa. He disciplined himself according to the principles of "Truthfulness-Benevolence-Tolerance," to be a better person. Shortly thereafter, his headaches disappeared without treatment.

    On July 20, 1999, the CCP and Jiang Zemin's political regime began to persecute Falun Dafa. Fu Wenqing was illegally detained four times. He was beaten and punished. On January 12, 2001, Fu Wenqing was again abducted and taken to the Second Detention Center of Shuangcheng City where he suffered all kinds of torture. One of his ribs was broken. Later, Mr. Fu was sent to Changlinzi Forced Labor Camp for one year. There, he had scabies all over his body and his flesh festered and he became disfigured. Fu Wenqing was subsequently released from the labor camp.

    On February 9, 2002, after 10 o'clock in the evening, the Xinxing Township Police Station and the Shuangcheng City Police Department sent police officers to Fu Wenqing's home and abducted Fu Wenqing and his wife. The police lied at the time and said that the couple were being taken away for questioning and would be released soon. However, Fu Wenqing and Yang Min have not yet returned. Fu Wenqing and Yang Min were taken to the Second Detention Center of Shuangcheng City. The couple suffered brutal torture and both were illegally sentenced to four years in prison.

    Related phone numbers: (country code - 86)

    Government of Xinxing Township, Shuangcheng City: 451-53227506
    Yu Guangming, the party secretary of Xinxing Township government
    Zhang Yunlong, 610 Office head: 13303658099(Cell phone)
    Bai Yuqiao, Staff of the 610 Office: 451-53297789
    Guo Weidong, Party Secretary of Xinxing Township in charge of agriculture: 13115410199 (Cell phone)
    Yu Zhenbuo: 13836067589 (Cell), 451-53227589 (Home)
    Wu Lei, Head of Xinxing Township Armed Force Section: 13199491954 (Cell), 451-53229336 (Home)
    Xinxing Township Police Station: 451-53227512
    Liu Hongtong, Head of Xinxing Township Police Station, 13104636000 (Cell), 451-53164677 (Home)
    Liu Xingwei, 13945630879 (Cell), 451-53229298 (Home)
    Bai Chunwu, 13196221177 (Cell), 451-53227578 (Home)

    Practitioner Ms. Sun Lin Violently Beaten and Dragged Behind a Motorcycle by Police at the Laixi Detention Center, Shandong Province

    Ms. Sun Lin, a Falun Gong practitioner from Laixi City, Shandong Province was abducted by officers from the Hebei Road Police Substation on August 7, 2004. Her home was ransacked and she was sent to the Laixi Municipal Detention Center. She was severely beaten by four police officers, leaving multiple wounds on her body. Later, both of her hands were handcuffed to a motorcycle and she was dragged behind it. Sun Lin went on a hunger strike to oppose the cruelties she endured. On August 16, she was so weak that she lost consciousness.

    Sun Lin is now unable to walk, and can just lie on her bed. She still encounters harassment from the authorities.


    Zhao Canji, Director of the Hebin Road Police Substation: 86-532-8466777 (home)

    Wang Shouhua, Head of the 610 Office in the City of Laixi: 86-13963970187 (mobile)

    Brief News from China - February 15, 2005

    1. Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Ouyang Haiwen on Hunger Strike to Protest Torture; He Is Now in Critical Condition
    2. Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province] Liao Qiyuan Arrested
    3. Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province] Lin Wuyong and Zhang Wenxue Arrested and Will Be Sentenced
    4. Xinxiang City, Henan Province] Zhao Tingyun Arrested
    5. Beijing] Jiang Ruishan Sentenced to Two and Half Years of Forced Labor
    6. Beijing] Arrest of Jing Jun at Haidian District's Detention Center
    7. Bejing] No Information about Practitioners Yan Sen and Shan Jiming
    8. Liaoning Province] Wang Fang and Others Receive Sentence Extensions at the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp
    9. Yunnan Province] Gu Xiufen Arrested and Sentenced to Three Years of Forced Labor
    10. Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia AR] Practitioners Wang Guijun and Others Arrested
    11. Guangdong Province] Two Falun Gong Practitioners from Hunan Province Arrested
    12. Beijing] Yao Huizhen in the Haidian District Arrested and Her Whereabouts are Unknown
    13. Huaihua City, Hunan Province] Persecution of Wei Guimei

    1. [Wuhan City, Hubei Province] Ouyang Haiwen on Hunger Strike to Protest Torture; He Is Now in Critical Condition

    Someone reported Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Ouyang Haiwen from Wuhan City to police when Ouyang was clarifying the truth of Falun Gong in Wuhan City's Steam Turbine Factory. Subsequently, Ouyang was arrested and put into a detention center and later in the Jiang'an Brainwashing Class and other places, suffering torture. In January 2005, he was sent to the Hewan Brainwashing Class for further torture. Ouyang Haiwen has been on a hunger strike to protest; he is currently in critical condition.

    2. [Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province] Liao Qiyuan Arrested

    Police arrested Mr. Liao Qiyuan from Guangxi Province who worked in Shenzhen City about a month ago. It is said that he is being held in Nanshan District's Detention Center in Shenzhen City.

    3. [Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province] Lin Wuyong and Zhang Wenxue Arrested and Will Be Sentenced

    It has been reported that practitioners Mr. Lin Wuyong and Mr. Zhang Wenxue from Zhuhai City who had been arrested many times were arrested again around September 19, 2004. Later they were put into the Meixi Detention Center. It is said that police authorities are planning to hold a trial for the two practitioners and others at the People's Court of Xiangzhou District, Zhuhai City.

    It has also been reported that Ms. Cai Yunxian, 68 years old, arrested at the same time as Lin Wuyong and Zhang Wenxue, has been sent to the Sanshui Legal Institutional Education School [in reality a brainwashing center], while Mr. Hu Yong has been sent to the Sanshui Forced Labor Camp in Guangdong Province.

    4. [Xinxiang City, Henan Province] Zhao Tingyun Arrested

    On February 4, 2005, Ms. Zhao Tingyun from Xinxiang City and her husband and son went back home for the Spring Festival. On the way home they clarified the truth to people, but someone reported them. Personnel from the city's Nanhuan Police Precinct arrested them, ransacked their home and confiscated some cash and other personal belongings.

    Phone number for the Nanhuan Police Precinct, Xinxiang City: 86-375-5095994

    5. [Beijing] Jiang Ruishan Sentenced to Two and a Half Years of Forced Labor

    At ten minutes after midnight on May 23, 2004, police arrested practitioner Mr. Jiang Ruishan in Beijing and ransacked his house. Police incarcerated him in the Fengtai Detention Center and later, on June 30, transferred him to Beijing's No.2 Detention Center, formerly the No.7 Division of Beijing's Police Department. Afterwards they sentenced Jiang Ruishan to two and a half years of forced labor and no family visit has been approved so far. Jiang Ruishan's work unit, the headquarters of the Bank of China, suspended his retirement pension on January 1, 2005.

    Related phone numbers:

    The No.2 Detention Center, (the No.7 Division of Beijing Police Department: 86-10-87395100
    Beijing Police Department: 86-10-85225050

    Zhang Zhanhang, an officer from the EnjiZhuang Police Precinct, Haidian District, Beijing: 86-13901295638 (cell)
    Enjizhuang Police Precinct: 86-10-88125030

    6. [Beijing] Arrest of Jing Jun at Haidian District's Detention Center

    On February 16, 2004, police arrested practitioner Mr. Jing Jun in Beijing when he was distributing truth-clarifying materials in a street and incarcerated him in Haidian District's Detention Center. Police confiscated computers, related materials and Dafa books in both his home in the Chaoyang District and at his parents' home in the Haidian District. No family visit has been allowed so far.

    7. [Bejing] No Information about Practitioners Yan Sen and Shan Jiming

    Practitioner Mr. Yan Sen, almost 60 years old, is a retired internal employee of the 159 Middle School in Beijing. In 2002, he was arrested from school and sent into Xicheng District's Brainwashing Class. After his release, he was arrested again in December 2004 by the authorities of Xicheng District Branch of the Beijing Police Department. No news about him at all so far is available.

    Practitioner Mr. Shan Jiming was born on January 6, 1969. He was the chief of the communication station, the Command Center, and the headquarters of the Chinese People's Armed Police. Shan Jiming lived at No. 68 Lixin Street, Gaomi City, Shandong Province before he joined the force.

    After the July 20, 1999, Shan Jiming was sent into a mental hospital for refusing to renounce Falun Dafa. He was force-fed and injected with unknown substances. In August 2001, Shan Jiming was held in Beijing's No.4 Prison. No one has had any news about him since.

    8. [Liaoning Province] Wang Fang and Others Receive Sentence Extensions at the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp

    Practitioner Ms. Wang Fang from Jinzhou City was sentenced to three years of forced labor. The term was up by early October 2004. Because she refused to give up Falun Gong, her detention term was extended by four months. She should have been released by early February 2005; however, her term was again extended by one month.

    Cui Yaning from Jinzhou City was sentenced to three years of forced labor, the deadline for which was December 28, 2004; however, her detention term was extended by about one year because she refused to renounce Falun Gong.

    Practitioner Ms. Li Guijie from Jinzhou City was sentenced to three years of forced labor. The term was up on December 28, 2004. Because Li Guijie refused to renounce Falun Gong, her detention term was extended by three months.

    9. [Yunnan Province] Gu Xiufen Arrested and Sentenced to Three Years of Forced Labor

    Practitioner Ms. Gu Xiufen, 40 years, is an employee of Yunnan Province's Gear Wheel Factory. On January 31, 2005, police arrested her at her beauty salon (she works at the factory and also owns a beauty salon). Her family was not informed until they pursued the matter and made recent inquiries. They eventually found out that Gu had been sentenced to three years of forced labor.

    10. [Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia AR] Practitioners Wang Guijun and Others Arrested

    At noon on January 19, 2005, practitioner Ms. Wang Guijun from the Sonsan District was arrested. Her whereabouts are presently unknown.

    At noon on January 18, 2005, practitioners Ms. Liu Fengrong who had been incarcerated for one year at Huhehaote City's Women's Forced Labor Camp was arrested, as was Ms. Dai Zhenyun from Songsan District. Their houses were ransacked.

    11. [Guangdong Province] Two Falun Gong Practitioners from Hunan Province Arrested

    In October 2004, two practitioners from Hunan Province (a male and a female, about 50 or 60 years old) took a chance of visiting relatives at Shakou Town's Village Committee in Yingde City, Guangdong Province to distribute truth-clarifying materials. Someone reported them; thus, personnel from Shakou Town's Police Precinct and from the National Security Team in Yingde City's Police Department arrested them. Lawless policemen confiscated all their Dafa books as well as hundreds of truth-clarifying flyers. They have then been sent back to Hunan Province for further persecution.

    Related phone numbers: (country code: 86, area code: 763. Please do not dial the area code before the cell phone number)

    Cui Jian, secretary and administrator, the Qingyuan City Police Department: 3382038 (Office), 13509266888 (Cell)
    Xue Weichi, head of the Political and Security Section, the Qingyuan City Police Department, 3365837 (Home), 13602938471 (Cell)
    Zhang Zhijian, the associate head, the Yingde City Police Department (in charge of persecuting Falun Gong): 2789383 (Office), 13602941728 (Cell)
    Liu Weidang, chief of the National Security Team, the Yingde City Police Department: 2225907 (Home), 13902352887 (Cell)
    Shakou Town's Police Precinct in Yingde City: 2551363, 2551368

    12. [Beijing] Yao Huizhen in the Haidian District Arrested and Her Whereabouts are Unknown

    In December 2004, practitioner Ms. Yao Huizhen from the Haidian District in Beijing was arrested and was later sent to a three-room house in the Chaoyang District for illegal detention. Two months have passed, but her whereabouts are still unknown.

    13. [Huaihua City, Hunan Province] Persecution of Wei Guimei

    At 8:30 a.m. on March 19, 2004, two men with surnames Su and Xie broke into Wei Guimei's home without showing any documentation. They confiscated a Falun Dafa Fajie (book) and several truth-clarifying pamphlets and forcibly took her to the company's security section office. Later they went back to Wei Guimei's home, searched and found a copy of Zhuan Falun and over ten pamphlets. Wei Guimei took the Zhuan Falun back.

    Wei Guimei was just released from a forced labor camp three months ago. She had to lead a homeless life to avoid further persecution. Later she was arrested because she sent truth-clarifying materials to the Zhaiyuan Police Precinct in the Hecheng District, Huaihua City.

    Related phone numbers: (Country code: 86, area code: 745. Please do not dial the area code before a cell phone number.)

    Yang Chunhui, Hecheng District's 610 Office head: 2256992 (Home), 13973088099 (Cell)
    He Yurong, Hecheng District's 610 Office associate head: 2258382(Home), 13974500557 (Cell)
    Su Yong, chief of the National Security Team, the Hecheng District Police Department: 2233291 ext. 5811(Office), 2230719(Home), 13974501949 (Cell)
    Zhaiyuan Police Precinct: 2714962
    Huaihua City "610 Office": 2710851
    Huaihua City Police Department: 2738000

    Summery of Other Articles and News - February 21, 2005

    1. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Yang Wenping from Shunyi District Is Abducted Before the Chinese New Year

    Ms. Yang Wenping from Dongzhuanghu Village, Yang Town, Shunyi District was tortured while in police custody until her legs were severely damaged. She was then arrested from her home again before she recovered enough to stand up. Her two daughters were crying and her mother-in-law was pleading with the police, but to no avail. Ms. Yang Wenping was sentenced to two and half years of forced labor, but later released because of her bad physical condition after enduring severe torture. Policeman Zhang Zhongyue (Deputy Director of Yang Town Substation) was involved in her arrest.

    2. Persecution of Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wang Guo-en from Hengshui City, Hebei Province

    Mr. Wang Guo-en from Dasenxiaotun Village, Hengshui City, Hebei Province was physically abused by the local 610 Office and the police because of his persistence in cultivating Falun Dafa. On February 27, 2003, the police from Damasen Township Substation ransacked Mr. Wang's home and then arrested him at his relative's home in nearby Sunjiatun Village. On March 3, 2003, Mr. ÂWang Guo-en was sent to Hengshui City Detention Center, where he was shocked with electric baton twice and handcuffed with the hands behind the back for 28 hours. On July 3, 2003, he was transferred to Gaoyang Labor Camp in Baoding City. While in that labor camp, he was tortured many times. The worst occurrences were on July 14, 2003 and May 20, 2004, when he was brutally beaten on the head with a metal object.

    3. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Huang Yanjun, Ms. Zhu Yun, and Others Are Being Tortured in Masanjia Labor Camp

    Ms. Huang Yanjun from Lingyuan City, Liaoning Province is being tortured in Masanjia Labor Camp. At first, former practitioners who turned against Dafa took turns to beat her, three or more at a time, three times a day. They wanted to force her to accept the brainwashing by kicking her, holding her under a huge wooden board, hanging a plate or a bag of sand from her neck, ordering her to wear a high hat to humiliate her, stomping her while she was on the ground, making her remain standing for a long time, depriving her of sleep, hanging her up by the handcuffs, shocking her with electric baton, locking her up in a small cell (1), and putting an electrified metal hat on her head, and pulling her hair out. She was covered with injuries but still refused to give up her belief. They hired 30-40 policemen from out of town and tortured her in a secret room until she suffered a mental breakdown. Ms. Zhu Yun from Huludao City is also detained here, and she has been tortured with force-feeding since the spring of 2004.

    4. Persecution of a Family in Yichang City, Hubei Province - Husband Died, and the Wife Put in a Forced Labor Camp

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Tan Wenyan was 64 years old. In October 1998, Mr. Tan and his wife started cultivating Falun Dafa, and physical problems in his legs were cured within forty days. After the persecution began, Mr. Tan's employer and the local 610 office kept harassing him at home, finally forcing him to give up the practice. His physical condition slowly deteriorated. In October 2000, his wife went to Beijing to clarify the truth, and she was brutally beaten by the police in Beijing anddetained in Yiling District First Detention Center. While passing out truth clarifying materials in August 2001, she was abducted by policeman Xi Zhuxin. She was detained and then sentenced to two years forced labor. Mr. Tan could no longer take care of himself, and his condition worsened without his wife to help look after him. Mr. Tan Wenyan died in January 2003.

    5. Ms. Li Yunxian, Ms. Zhao Suzhen, Ms. Liang Yuqin, and Ms. Li Suqiu Died as a Result of the Persecution

    Ms. Li Yunxian was 83 years old, a retired teacher from Kaifeng City, Henan Province. She was harassed and threatened many times by the 610 officials, the police, and the Neighborhood Administration because she practiced Falun Dafa. Her daughter was abducted and sentenced to forced labor due to her firm belief. Ms. Li Yunxian died in July 2003 as a result of the stress placed upon her by the persecution.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Zhao Suzhen was 67 years old, from Shangshui County, Zhou Kou City, Henan Province. She was abducted by the County State Security Agency to Shangshui County Detention Center in 2000 while passing out truth clarifying materials. She was released several months later and died in January 2003.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liang Yuqin from Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province was 66 years old. She was afflicted with many illnesses before cultivation, and her family members also had unusual illnesses. In 1995, Ms. Liang was lucky to find Falun Gong, and her whole family became healthy and harmonious. After July 20, 1999, when the persecution started, she lost the cultivation environment, and her old illnesses returned. She died on January 27, 2005.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Li Suqiu was 81 years old. Her diseases were gone after cultivating Falun Dafa. After July 20, 1999, the police tried to arrest her oldest daughter and came to her house to harass her many times. Ms. Li Suqiu was placed in deep distress and her health deteriorated. She died on May 30, 2002.

    6. Four Falun Gong practitioners in Kangping County, Liaoning Province Died during the Persecution

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Yin Shuzhen was 74 years old. She had been very sick and was taking medicine all year around. In 1995, after she started practicing Falun Dafa, her illnesses were cured. After 1999, the persecution started, the employer of her husband (retired, also a Falun Gong practitioner) often sent people to her home to try to force them write a guarantee statement giving up practicing Falun Dafa. Her son and daughter, both practitioners, were arrested while validating the Fa. She was deeply distressed and suffered a stroke. Ms. Yin passed away on October 30, 2004.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Wang Xuezhi was 77 years old. She had severe heart disease and diabetes. Both conditions quickly improved after she practiced Falun Dafa in 1996. She held her belief firmly and went to Beijing to appeal together with her husband and daughter at the end of 2000. Policemen from the local substation kept harassing her upon returning home, and her physical condition worsened. She died on May 2, 2004.

    Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Chen Kui was 71 years old and a former CCP Kangping County Committee member. He had a cerebral hemorrhage, but was cured after practicing Falun Dafa in 1995. After the persecution of Falun Gong started, his former work unit head Chen Gao and others often came to his home to intimidate and harass him, threatening him with disciplinary actions from the Party and withholding his pension. Mr. Chen refused to write a guarantee statement giving up practicing Falun Dafa, even under great pressure. His son, a non-practitioner, wrote one for him, which hurt him deeply. His old illness eventually came back, and he suffered a stroke. Mr. Chen died on February 19, 2001.

    Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Jin Qiuhua from Xiaochengzi Town was 36 years old. She went to Beijing to appeal in October 1999 and was detained locally for more than one month. Later, the local police kept harassing her at home, forcing her to write guarantee statements and taking her photo and fingerprints. As a result of constant harassment and intimidation, she died on October 2, 2004.