Latest News from China - September 25, 2004
- [Pingjiang County, Hunan Province] Practitioner Mr. Li Zhibang Has Been Missing Since His Appeal in Beijing in 2001
- [Inner Mongolia] Torture Leaves Falun Dafa Practitioner Liu Renmin's Life in Danger
- [Laixi City©oShandong Province] Binhe Roads Police Arrest Several Practitioners
- [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Practitioners Xie Baofeng, Jiang Wei, and Li Liang Sentenced to Prison
- [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Five Practitioners Arrested
- [Huludao City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Chen Pengwen Arrested
- [Beijing] Jiangtai District Police Illegally Detain Practitioners
- [Shangzhi City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioner Zhang Zhenren Arrested
- [Beijing] Practitioner Zhao Manlan Arrested
- [Nong'an County, Jilin Province] Practitioner Guo Zhihe Sentenced to One Year in a Labor Camp
- [Changsha City, Hunan Province] Ms. Xiao Yuehong and Ms. Zhou Yueying Arrested when Distributing Factual Information about Falun Gong
- [Kunming City, Yunnan Province] Practitioners Ma Ling, Wang Jinjie, and Mei Bilin Arrested
- [Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province] Practitioner Zhang Wenxue Arrested Again
- [Hanchuan City, Hubei Province] Practitioner Yan Liping from Chengguan Town is Detained at the No.2 Detention Center for Revealing the Facts about Falun Gong
- [Renshou, Sichuan Province] Practitioners Gu Xia, Wang Bihua, and Huang Xueying Detained
- [Jinan City, Shandong Province] Three Practitioners Arrested for Distributing Truth-Clarifying Materials
- [Xishui County, Hubei Province] Several Falun Gong Practitioners Arrested
- [Dalian City, Liaoning Province] Wanjia Labor Camp Guards Torture Falun Gong Practitioners
- [Dongxing City, Guangxi Province] Practitioners He Shangheng and Song Caibin Arrested
- [Hebei Province] Shijiazhuang No. 2 Prison Severely Torture Practitioners
- [Inner Mongolia] A Printing Site for Truth-Clarifying Materials in Tongliao City Destroyed; Practitioner Zhou Jinpeng Arrested
- [Shenyang City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Fan Xichen Arrested and Sent to Fushun Brainwashing Center
1. [Pingjiang County, Hunan Province] Practitioner Mr. Li Zhibang Has Been Missing Since His Appeal in Beijing in 2001
The Yuping Town Police Station extorted 2800 yuan from practitioner Zhang Wenghua from Yuping Town. Their excuse was that Zhang had lent 100 yuan to Li Zhibang. At around the same time of the year, there was an elderly man calling out "Falun Dafa is great." on the street of Pingjiang County. The police shot him on the spot and then took him away. Whether or not he survived is unknown.
Dozens of people witnessed the event. The man who was shot may well be the missing Li Zhibang, due to the age and time similarities. More detailed information is under investigation.
2. [Inner Mongolia] Torture Leaves Falun Dafa Practitioner Liu Renmin's Life in Danger
The police from Yituli River Railroad Police Station of the Public Security Office in Haila'er Railroad Branch of Inner Mongolia, broke into and searched practitioner Liu Renmin's home on September 1, 2004, after which they abducted him. They proceeded to torture him and pressured him to provide them with information about other practitioners. Liu's teeth were broken by the beating and he was unable to eat. The police will not allow any one to visit him. His life is now at stake.
Telephone number of the Public Security Office in Haila'er Railroad Branch: 86-470-2225628
3. [Laixi City©oShandong Province] Binhe Roads Police Arrest Several Practitioners
Five people in Binhe Road Police Station of Laixi City, Shandong Province, headed by Cui Chunzhang, broke into the dorm of some workers in West Village of Tanjiayuan. They shouted, "Freeze. Present your ID's. We are from Binhe Road Police Station and are here to arrest Falun Gong practitioners."
The police did not show their IDs. They took away practitioner Zhou Shizhan's bag, in which there were Falun Gong books and articles, audio cassettes of Falun Gong lectures and songs relating to Falun Gong, Falun Gong informational materials and materials printed from Clearwisdom Net. They also took the 200 yuan that was in the bag. The police arrested Zhou and two others who do not practice Falun Gong and took them to the Binhe Road Police Station. The police interrogated them for 2 hours before releasing them.
4. [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Practitioners Xie Baofeng, Jiang Wei, and Li Liang Sentenced to Prison
Practitioners Xie Baofeng, Jiang Wei, and Li Liang from Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province, have been sentenced to ten, eight, and three years in jail respectively by the Shuangta District Court of Chaoyang City. Xie Baofeng and Jiang Wei, who are both physically very weak, were sent to Shenyang Women's prison of Liaoning Province. While Jiang Wei was detained at the Chaoyang Custody Center she was, on several occasions, on the verge of death. Currently she is detained in Team Three of brigade 3 in Shenyang Female prison. Even when she is very weak, she is forced to perform hard labor in the plant.
Telephone number: 86-24-89296876
5. [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Five Practitioners Arrested
On the morning of September 20, 2004, the local police took the policemen from Beijie Police Department to arrest practitioners in Babao Village of Chaoyang City, Yu Haibin, Li Yun, and Ms. Li Shuling. The police searched the printing site and confiscated the equipment. Right now the practitioners are being detained at the Shijiahetao Detention Center.
Ms. Liu Dianzhen was arrested when distributing Falun Gong related materials. Ms. Huo Huixian was arrested on September 22, 2004.
6. [Huludao City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Chen Pengwen Arrested
At midnight on September 13, 2004, Falun Gong practitioner Chen Pengwen from Jiangtun in Huludao City, Liaoning Province, was abducted from his bed by four plainclothes police officers. They said Chen was reported for distributing Falun Gong materials and was therefore under arrest. His 80-year-old mother cried as she watched her son being taken away by the villains.
7. [Beijing] Jiangtai District Police Illegally Detain Practitioners
Ever since Jiang and his gang started the persecution of Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, over ten practitioners in the Jiangtai area have been illegally sentenced to prison or forced labor camps, including Yang Li, Wang Wei, Li Shaohua, Ren Dan, Yan Baoshuang, Lei Ying, Cheng Daqun, Zhang Yuxiang, Yang Shili, and three other practitioners.
Telephone number of Jiangtai Police Station: 86-10-64362030
8. [Shangzhi City, Heilongjiang Province] Practitioner Zhang Zhenren Arrested
Zhang Zhenren is from Shangzhi City in Heilongjiang Province. His company forced him to quit his job in 2001 because he practices Falun Gong. Right before October 1, 2004, China's National Day, while Zhang was working behind the counter that he rented at the Beifang Shopping Mall, nearly ten policemen and security guards abducted him. They sent him to the brainwashing center in Wuchang.
Persons involved in the kidnapping: Deputy Manager of Beifang Shopping Mall- Li Guanjun, Security guard of the mall- An Zhengshan
Policemen of Shengli Police Station: Sun Yeping, Shi Lianjun
9. [Beijing] Practitioner Zhao Manlan Arrested
Zhao Manlan is from the Shunyi area of Beijing. She was detained in a forced labor camp for 18 months during 2001 and 2002. She has been arrested again and is now being detained at the Wenquan Police Station in Haidian District.
Telephone number of Wenquan Police Station in Haidian District: 86-10-62456539
10. [Nong'an County, Jilin Province] Practitioner Guo Zhihe Sentenced to One Year in a Labor Camp
On August 22, 2004, Guo Zhihe, a practitioner from Nong'an County, Jilin Province, was arrested on the street by a group of policemen headed by Lin Zhiheng, who works for the Political and Security Office in Nong'an Police Department. Guo was detained at the Nong'an Detention Center for a month before he was sentenced to a year at Chaoyanggou Labor Camp.
11. [Changsha City, Hunan Province] Ms. Xiao Yuehong and Ms. Zhou Yueying Arrested for Distributing Factual Information about Falun Gong
On the night of September 20, 2004, Ms. Xiao Yuehong and Ms. Zhou Yueying were reported to the police when distributing factual information about Falun Gong in the town of Ansha, Changsha County. They were arrested by the police of Liujiawan Police Station.
Zhou Yueying is in her 60's and started to practice Falun Gong after the persecution began. She came across the practice of Falun Gong in a detention center and began to practice in 2002. She went out to clarify the truth about Falun Gong to people along with some other practitioners. The day after she was arrested, the police searched her home and confiscated her computer and some Falun Gong materials. The practitioners are most likely detained at the Changsha County Detention Center.
12. [Kunming City, Yunnan Province] Practitioners Ma Ling, Wang Jinjie, Mei Bilin Arrested
On September 21, 2004, practitioners from Kunming City, Yunan Province, Ma Ling, Wang Jinjie, Mei Bilin were arrested.
Ms. Wang Jinjie is part of the maintenance personnel in the Audio and Video Center of Yunnan University. She is detained at the Wuhua District Detention Center by the Police Department of Wuhua District Branch.
Ms. Mei Bilin is a teacher of Forestry School in Yunan Province. She was sent to a labor camp for three years by the State Security Team in the Police Department of Panlong Branch. She was then sent to the Dabanqiao Female Labor Camp in Yunan Province. In the notice for her imprisonment, it says that her term will be from October of 2004 to October of 2007.
Ms. Ma Ling is an associate research fellow in the library of Yunan University. She was arrested by the Police Department of Wuhua District in Kunming City and detained at the Wuhua Detention Center.
On the same day several other practitioners were arrested.
13. [Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province] Practitioner Zhang Wenxue Arrested Again
At three o'clock in the morning on September 20, 2004, over ten plainclothes policemen from the "610 Office" of Zhuhai City broke into the Zhang Wenxue's art factory and dormitory (in the same building) and rampantly searched the place. They took away Zhang's computer and several pieces of artwork.
At about 4 o'clock, the police arrested Zhang and four or five workers (who do not practice Falun Gong). The workers were set free at 6 o'clock. The police told them, "Don't wait for Zhang Wenxue. He won't be released, for he practices Falun Gong."
Zhang Wenxue had been detained in the notorious Guangzhou City No. 1 Labor Camp from December of 2000 to June of 2003.
Zhang made some badges in the pattern of the Falun or Law Wheel [the symbol of Falun Gong] using thin aluminum pieces. The police found examples of this badge in the home of some practitioners in Guangzhou when they searched their living quarters. This then allowed the "610 Office" in Guangzhou to trace them back to Zhuhai. To make the arrest, they colluded with the police in the Nanping Police Station of Xiangzhou District of Zhuhai City and the people in the Guangchang Village Committee in Nanping Town, where Zhang Wenxue lives. Zhang was detained in the Nanping Police Station and will possibly be transferred to Guangzhou.
Telephone of Nanping Police Station: 86-756-8671983
14. [Hanchuan City, Hubei Province] Practitioner Yan Liping from Chengguan Town is Detained at the No. 2 Detention Center for Revealing the Facts about Falun Gong
Ms. Yan Liping, employee of Chengguan Town Water System Bureau of Hanchuan City, Hubei Province, went to Hanji Town to clarify the truth about Falun Gong and distribute related materials on September 17, 2004. She was reported to the police by some locals and was then arrested. The police violently beat her, leaving bruises all over her body. Later she was sent to Hanchuan No. 2 Detention Center.
Telephone number of the related places:
Hanchuan No. 2 Detention Center: 86-712-8387743©o86-712-8383497
Hanji Police Station: 86-712-8820068
15. [Renshou, Sichuan Province] Practitioners Gu Xia, Wang Bihua, and Huang Xueying Detained
Practitioners Ms. Gu Xia, Ms. Wang Bihua, and Ms. Huang Xueying from Renshou, Sichuan Province, were arrested in November 2003 and are still being detained. Ms. Kang Ling, and Xiao Lizi from Shuangliu were arrested at the same time.
Every day they are mentally and physically tortured. Kang Ling and Huang Xueying have born the brunt of these tortures. The police often punch and kick them until they lose consciousness. The beatings they have been subjected to are so intense that almost all of their teeth have become loose. The police not only tortured them to force them to make a confession, but also searched their homes and extorted money from their families.
On August 11, 2003, the practitioners were taken to Shuangliu County Court for a secret trial. They were not allowed to defend themselves and were pressured to make a confession. Because the practitioners did not cooperate with the court, the illegal trial was a failure.
Policemen in Shuangliu State Security Team: He Hong, Xiao Zeliang, Huang Yufei, Hu Yaozhong.
Office telephone: 86-28-85802422
16. [Jinan City, Shandong Province] Three Practitioners Arrested for Distributing Truth-Clarifying Materials
Practitioners Xie Shulin, Li Jinying and Li Liqun from Jinan City of Shandong Province were arrested when distributing truth-clarifying materials at Lingyan Temple on September 10, 2004. Mr. Xie Shulin is now detained at Changqing Detention Center. Ms. Li Jinying and Ms. Li Liqun are detained at Jinan Detention Center.
17. [Xishui County, Hubei Province] Several Falun Gong Practitioners Arrested
On September 23, 2004, practitioner Xia Zongyuan from Zhudian of Xishui County, Hubei Province was arrested when he was shopping in a grocery store. Early on the morning of September 22, practitioners Yang Xiaohong and Xia Xiaoping in Zhudian were also arrested. They are now detained in the Xishui Detention Center.
A month ago, practitioner Lu Xiqiu from Zhudian was arrested and Yao Wanglai was forced to leave home to avoid further persecution.
18. [Dalian City, Liaoning Province] Wanjia Labor Camp Guards Torture Falun Gong Practitioners
Ms. Zhang Chunyu is 52 years old. She was sent to Wanjia Labor Camp in April of 2002 where she is often severely tortured by the police. During the day they use electric batons to shock her and hang her up to conduct a torture called "Big Hang Up" (1). At night she is forced to sit on an iron chair and is deprived of any sleep for 28 days.
Ms. Hao Peijie is 50 years old. She was put in Wanjia Labor Camp in December of 2001. She was also tortured using the "Big Hang Up" and "Iron Chair" torture methods and was also forced to squat for 28 days. She has lost all of her front teeth due to beatings.
Ms. Jiang Lianying is 62 years old and is from Yilan County. She called out "Falun Dafa is great" on June 21, 2004 in Wanjia Labor Camp and was severely beaten by the police.
Wanjia Labor Camp recently ordered in some new 500-watt electric batons and twenty more handcuffs.
19. [Dongxing City, Guangxi Province] Practitioners He Shangheng and Song Caibin Arrested
At noon on September 18, 2004, Song Caibin and He Shangheng were riding on the same motorcycle when they were pulled over and arrested by the police. The police suspected that they were distributing Falun Gong related materials. They didn't find anything at He Shangheng's home, but they found over ten pamphlets at Song Caibin's home. Now the practitioners are detained at the Fangchenggang Detention Center in Fangchenggang City of Guangxi Province.
20. [Hebei Province] Shijiazhuang No. 2 Prison Severely Torture Practitioners
During the hot summer the Shijiazhuang No. 2 Prison authorities forced practitioners to make down coats for 16 to 17 hours a day. Many people were extremely exhausted and collapsed after such laborious work. Almost everyone had itchy skin as a result of the forced labor. Other inmates can have their families visit them any time they want, while the visitation schedule for families of Falun Gong practitioners are limited. On the visitors' day, the police will wait until the end of the day before allowing the families of practitioners to see them. During the visit, a guard will stay by the side of the visitor to monitor the conversation. If someone's term has finished and is about to be set free, the police will ask him to take off all his/her clothes to make sure that no contact information or phone numbers are taken out. Every day there are practitioners holding hunger strikes to peacefully appeal against their unlawful detainment. They are force-fed twice a day.
21. [Inner Mongolia] A Printing Site for Truth-Clarifying Materials in Tongliao City Destroyed; Practitioner Zhou Jinpeng Arrested
Since mid-August of 2004, the printing site in Tongliao City and Huolinguole City has been destroyed. Falun Gong practitioner Zhou Jinpeng, who has been wanted by the police for three years was arrested by Shao Jun.
Another practitioner in Huolinguole City was arrested at the same time as Zhou Jinpeng. Hence, the printing site there may have been destroyed as well.
22. [Shenyang City, Liaoning Province] Practitioner Fan Xichen Arrested and Sent to Fushun Brainwashing Center
Mr. Fan Xichen is a practitioner from Heping District of Shenyang City. In early September of 2004, he was taken from his work place (affiliate of the Railroad Bureau) to Fushun Brainwashing Center. In the past, Fan Xichen had been detained in Zhangshi Labor Camp in Shenyang for three years. Because he didn't give up Falun Gong, his detention was extended for three more months. At the beginning of 2004, the verdict was "not guilty" and so he was released.
(1). "Big Hang Up" - There are two forms in this torture: 1) With both hands cuffed behind the back and only toes touching the ground, one is hung by a rope that is tied to the metal window frames; 2) One hand of a practitioner is cuffed to one bunk bed and the other hand to another bed, and the two beds are pulled in the opposite directions. One feels extremely painful as the body is pulled.