Zhang Jun, a Dafa practitioner from Jilin City, was an employee at the canteen of the 101 Dye Plant of the Ji Hua Company. When Jiang's regime began the vicious persecution of Falun Dafa, Zhang Jun was kidnapped and illegally sentenced to two years of forced labor by the Jilin Police Department, with the assistance of the security office of the 101 Dye Plant. Zhang Jun was sentenced because he refused to sign a so-called "guarantee statement" [a statement declaring that the person is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioner.]

After he had been detained for two years, the forced labor camp unfairly added two more months to his term. When he was released, Zhang told his friends and relatives about the inhumane torture he had suffered for more than two years in the forced labor camp. Since Dafa practitioners insisted on being good people based on the principle of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and refused to give up their belief while in prison, they were viciously tortured by the police using various means. For example, the police stuck acupuncture needles into the bodies of the Dafa practitioners, and then shocked them with high voltage electric batons. They would shock the Dafa practitioners with several electric batons and would not stop until the batons ran out of power. Dafa practitioners were given the worst meals in very small quantities, but even this could not shake their righteous belief. Fellow practitioners in the prison encouraged each other, helped each other, shared experiences, and held group hunger strikes to protest the inhumane treatment. As a result, the police dispersed all of the Dafa practitioners illegally detained in the Huanxiling forced labor camp in Jilin City to different forced labor camps in other areas.

After Zhang Jun was released, he was required to work in the security office of the Jihua 101 Dye Plant, where he was responsible for cleaning. He was strictly monitored. He was given only 10 Yuan a day for living expenses [500 Yuan is the average monthly income for an urban worker in China.] On February 16, 2003, when Zhang Jun went to a printing shop on Dadongmen Chaoyang Street in Jilin City to print Dafa truth clarification materials that he had written, the shop owner reported him to the Police Station on Nanjing Street. He was kidnapped and detained for several days. Seeing that Zhang had nothing on him other than his Dafa materials and therefore was not of much value, the police tried to persuade him to write a "guarantee statement" in return for letting him go home. Zhang refused. He was later transferred to the Jilin City detention center, where authorities again tried to persuade him to write a "guarantee statement," offering the same reward. Zhang Jun refused it resolutely. After being detained for one month, Zhang Jun was illegally sentenced to three years of forced labor. He is now detained in the Yinmahe forced labor camp.