April 20, 2003


Li Jian was thirty-five years old. He was a handicapped attorney. He lived in the family building of Zhengyang County Prosecutor's House in Zhumadian City, Henan Province. He obtained the Fa in June 1998 and was tortured to death by the 3rd team of the 3rd Detention Center (located in Xuchang city) in Henan Province at around 3:00 a.m. on April 25, 2002.

Li Jian died as a result of inhumane physical and mental torture. He was forced to do intensive physical labor beyond the limits of human tolerance, for prolonged periods. He once told others, "I would rather not eat as long as I can rest for five minutes." However, the police never let him rest even on his last day.

Li Jian died at 3:00 a.m. on April 25, 2002. The police administered CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and injected medicine after his death to create evidence to cover their crime. They then sent his body to the hospital. There were usually two to three police on duty. But on that day all the police in the 3rd team were on duty. In the morning, one practitioner suggested they all mourn Li Jian for three minutes. Police asked him: "We do not even know whether Li Jian is dead or not. How do you know?" As a result of making this request, this practitioner's term was extended six months.

At lunchtime, police did not allow practitioners to ask about Li Jian. After lunch, the head of each team threatened practitioners saying, "Li Jian is dead. You are prohibited to do anything using his death as an excuse, or you are responsible for the consequence." In the afternoon, Deputy Director Qu from the labor camp announced at a meeting that Li Jian died from a disease. He further threatened, "Whoever makes a fuss because of his death will have his term extended." The next day he told everyone in a meeting, "we have already reached an agreement with Li's family. Even his family does not have any problem. You do not need to make a fuss."

Everyone knows that Li Jian was tortured to death, as he did not show any signs of sickness on the 24th when he went out to work. Practitioners went on a hunger strike to protest the murder. One practitioner requested to see Li's family and tell them the truth. Instead of responding to his request, the police extended his term for several months. Several other practitioners also had their terms extended because of the hunger strike.

The following police officers in the 3rd team were at the abovementioned meeting: The head of the team, Tan; the Director Dong, and the instructor Ren.