Chinese name:
Former employee/ Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) in Harbin, Heilongjiang Province
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Chengxi Police Station, Changchun City
Case Description:

( Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Fan died on October 16, 2014, a day after she was arrested. Her body was taken to the Longfeng Funeral Home in Changchun City, Jilin Province, where authorities wanted to cremate it before an autopsy could be held.

Her husband Zhang Ge was arrested the same day and is currently being held at the Changchun No. 2 Detention Center.

Ms. Fan and Mr. Zhang are employees of Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) in Harbin, Heilongjiang Province. They had to leave their hometown to avoid persecution and stayed in Changchun, Jilin.

When driving his taxi on October 15, 2014, Mr. Zhang spoke about the persecution of Falun Gong to a passenger. He was reported and subsequently arrested by the Chengxi Police Station and Luyuan District Police Department.

The couple's home was ransacked on the same afternoon. Ms. Fan was arrested then. Their Falun Gong books, computers, printers, and other private items were confiscated.

Their relatives learned on the next day that Ms. Fan died at about 3 p.m. When they visited the Chengxi Police Station to find out more details, the police didn't inform them of Ms. Fan's death.

Instead, the police tried to coerce the relatives to tell how Ms. Fan produce Falun Gong informational materials at home. Upon family members' refusal, the police threatened them that they had “covered up a crime.”

At about midnight, the police station said that Ms. Fan was sent to a hospital for checkup due to health issues. The authorities claimed that she died by jumping from the third floor in her attempt to escape the hospital.

This was inconsistent with another version released from the same police station: Ms. Fan was diagnosed as having a cancer. She collapsed at the news and killed herself by jumping from a building. The police station labeled it as “abscond for fear of conviction.”

Chengxi Police Station tried to force the family to sign for cremation of Ms. Fan's body. After they refused, the police then harassed and threatened them. They had to leave home to avoid further persecution. Changchun City Police Department and the Luyuan police department also joined Chengxi Police Station in trying to force the cremation.

Related articles:|Husband Sues Former Chinese Dictator for Wife's Death on Day After Her Arrest