Zhang Haiyan - 张海燕
Ms. Zhang Haiyan, 34, lived in Wangjiazirantun, Xiyou Village, Hujia Town, Heishan County, Liaoning Province. She started to practice Falun Gong in 1996. Shortly afterwards, her poor eyesight and bowed right leg returned to normal.
After the persecution of Falun Gong began in 1999, she held firm to her belief in Falun Gong. In mid-September 2001, she went to Beijing to appeal. The Beijing police arrested her and later asked her local police and government officials to bring her back. After she was taken back, she was savagely beaten by the local police. Then she was sent to Heishan Detention Center. About two months later, she was sentenced to 2 years of forced labor education and transferred to Masanjia Labor Camp.
While in the labor camp, she was subjected to various tortures. She was hung up for long periods of time. Her entire body was tied up, and she was beaten. Moreover, the police asked her to cross her legs on top of each other and press her palms in front of her chest. Then the police handcuffed her hands, and had her remain in this position for a long time. She later went on hunger strike to protest, which brought even more brutal torture. After nearly two years, she was at the brink of a mental collapse. In February 2003, when her family went to visit her, they noticed that her head was wrapped in gauze, her hands were badly swollen and she could not talk. One month later, on March 21, 2003, the labor camp informed her family to come pick her up. At that time, Zhang was completely mentally disoriented and could not take care of herself. When her family came to the labor camp, the camp authorities said to them, "We're only giving her one month off. One month later, we'll pick her up and bring her to the camp again." When she returned home, her family members found 3 deep scars on her head and neck.
The long-term torture caused tremendous damage to Zhang Haiyan, both physically and mentally. In the 10 months she was home, she never dared to speak to anyone, including her husband and children. Her family members never dared to talk to her loudly, because they didn't want to scare her. Even if it was just a child yelling nearby, she would be frightened to the point that her face became pale and she shivered all over. On January 18, 2004, she passed away.
- Masanjia Labor Re-education Camp Tortures Steadfast Falun Dafa Practitioners
- The Crimes of Su Jing and Wang Naimin at the Masanjia Women's Forced Labor Camp in the Persecution of Falun Gong Practitioners (Photos)
- Reenactment of Torture Methods at the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp -- Part 1 (Photos)
- Summary of the Persecution of Falun Gong in the Jinzhou Area --- From July 1999 to December 2005
- Atrocities Committed in the No. 2 Women's Ward of the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in Liaoning Province
- The Situation of Wang Defu, Son of the Late Ms. Zhang Haiyan, Who Died Due to Torture (Photos)
- In Memory of Fellow Practitioner Zhang Haiyan
- Ms. Zhang Haiyan Suffers Mental Collapse and Dies after Being Tortured at the Masanjia Labor Camp
- Practitioner Zhang Haiyan from Heishan County, Liaoning Province, Dies After Suffering from the Inhumane Persecution in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp
- List of Falun Gong Practitioners from Jinzhou City Who Have Died from the Persecution
- More Than Thirty Female Falun Gong Practitioners Have Been Persecuted to the Point of Mental Collapse at Masanjia Forced Labor Camp (Photos)