Zhang Haiyan - 张海燕

Chinese name:
Heishan County
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Masanjia Forced Labor Camp
Case Description:

Ms. Zhang Haiyan, 34, lived in Wangjiazirantun, Xiyou Village, Hujia Town, Heishan County, Liaoning Province. She started to practice Falun Gong in 1996. Shortly afterwards, her poor eyesight and bowed right leg returned to normal.

After the persecution of Falun Gong began in 1999, she held firm to her belief in Falun Gong. In mid-September 2001, she went to Beijing to appeal. The Beijing police arrested her and later asked her local police and government officials to bring her back. After she was taken back, she was savagely beaten by the local police. Then she was sent to Heishan Detention Center. About two months later, she was sentenced to 2 years of forced labor education and transferred to Masanjia Labor Camp.

While in the labor camp, she was subjected to various tortures. She was hung up for long periods of time. Her entire body was tied up, and she was beaten. Moreover, the police asked her to cross her legs on top of each other and press her palms in front of her chest. Then the police handcuffed her hands, and had her remain in this position for a long time. She later went on hunger strike to protest, which brought even more brutal torture. After nearly two years, she was at the brink of a mental collapse. In February 2003, when her family went to visit her, they noticed that her head was wrapped in gauze, her hands were badly swollen and she could not talk. One month later, on March 21, 2003, the labor camp informed her family to come pick her up. At that time, Zhang was completely mentally disoriented and could not take care of herself. When her family came to the labor camp, the camp authorities said to them, "We're only giving her one month off. One month later, we'll pick her up and bring her to the camp again." When she returned home, her family members found 3 deep scars on her head and neck.

The long-term torture caused tremendous damage to Zhang Haiyan, both physically and mentally. In the 10 months she was home, she never dared to speak to anyone, including her husband and children. Her family members never dared to talk to her loudly, because they didn't want to scare her. Even if it was just a child yelling nearby, she would be frightened to the point that her face became pale and she shivered all over. On January 18, 2004, she passed away.

Chinese version available at: