Chinese name:
Retired employee / Jiulongpo District Construction Group
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
Most recent place of detention:
Xishanping Forced Labor Camp
Case Description:

( Mr. Zhou Xueliang from Chongqing City was extremely emaciated when he was released from the Xishanping Forced Labor Camp in April 2013. He rarely spoke after returning home and whenever he tried, it prompted a coughing fit. He experienced frequent episodes of hot and cold flashes, shivering, and he was in a lot of pain. Mr. Zhou passed away on January 14, 2014, at the age of 63.

Before he passed away, Mr. Zhou's face became yellowish in color and this discoloration slowly spread to the rest of his body. He also had swelling above the ankles, especially in his hands. His family spent 120,000 yuan seeking medical treatments, but to no avail.

Arrested and Sentenced to Forced Labor

Mr. Zhou was followed and arrested on April 27, 2012, after distributing Shen Yun DVD's at the Banan District Farmer's Market. He was taken to the Huaxi Police Station by director Xiong Tianrong of the Huaxi Street Comprehensive Management Office, Xiong's wife, and officer Shi from the office. The police ransacked his home immediately after his arrest and left the place in disarray. There was an infant in the home during the ransacking. When his family went to the police station and appealed for his release, they were treated rudely and told to go to the Jiulongpo District Domestic Security Division. Mr. Zhou was taken to the Banan District Yudong Detention Center at around 9 p.m. that night and later sentenced to forced labor.

Guards at the Xishanping Forced Labor Camp poured hot pepper water into his eyes, which caused his vision to rapidly decline. He was subjected to brutal torture during the one year term, and this led to his death after being released.

Background and Previous Arrests

Mr. Zhou is a retired employee of the Jiulongpo District Construction Group in Chongqing City. He began to practice Falun Gong in January 1999 and benefited both physically and mentally. Since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) launched the persecution campaign in July 1999, he has been repeatedly arrested.

Mr. Zhou and his wife, Ms. Deng Dezhen, were followed and arrested in November 2002 while posting truth-clarification banners. Mr. Zhou was illegally detained for a month at the Lijiatuo Detention Center. His wife was sentenced to one year of forced labor at the Jiangbei Women's Forced Labor Camp.

In September 2003, Mr. Zhou was arrested by 610 Office members of the Jiulongpo District Construction Group. He was forced to undergo brainwashing at the Jiulongpo District Brainwashing Center.

While posting truth-clarification posters at the beginning of March 2004 in the Xiejiawan area, Mr. Zhou was arrested by police officers and patrols of the Xiejiawan Police Station. He was severely beaten, then detained at the Jiulongpo District Detention Center. Mr. Zhou was sentenced to one year of forced labor shortly after and served the term at the Xishanping Forced Labor Camp.

Related articles:|Torture at the Xishanping Forced Labor Camp Causes the Death of Mr. Zhou Xuelian